Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Chamois cream application: on to chamois or direct to body?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-12-17, 08:48 PM
johngwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

For longer rides I've been using some chamois cream to prevent chafing. I didn't really like the idea of spreading this cream all over my cycling shorts, so I've been applying it directly to my nether regions, focusing on this spots where most friction occurs.

Would there be any advantage to putting it directly on the chamois?

Also, is it usual to re-apply the cream during a day's ride? I don't want to carry a pot of cream with me, and was wondering how best to carry a small amount for a top-up application during a bathroom break.
Old 07-12-17, 08:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5755 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Think of it this way. If you were supposed to apply it to your body, they would have called it ass cream.

In any case this is something where some may be good, but more isn't necessarily better.

You shouldn't have chafing, even on a long ride, so something is wrong here. The shorts are supposed to move with your body, so if there's chafing, it's probably because the shorts are sticking to your saddle and you're moving within them.

I suggest you try less chamois cream, perhaps none, or just a tiny bit worked in well. I've been riding since BITD when chamois came from a goat, and we needed a bit of oil every once in a while to keep it soft and pliable. Other than that, I've had more success with talc than anything else, especially on hot humid days.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-12-17, 09:58 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Think of it this way. If you were supposed to apply it to your body, they would have called it ass cream.

In any case this is something where some may be good, but more isn't necessarily better.

You shouldn't have chafing, even on a long ride, so something is wrong here. The shorts are supposed to move with your body, so if there's chafing, it's probably because the shorts are sticking to your saddle and you're moving within them.

I suggest you try less chamois cream, perhaps none, or just a tiny bit worked in well. I've been riding since BITD when chamois came from a goat, and we needed a bit of oil every once in a while to keep it soft and pliable. Other than that, I've had more success with talc than anything else, especially on hot humid days.
I guess "chamois cream" sounded better to the marketing department :-)

I've never actually suffered from any chafing - just a bit of pressure soreness after a couple of hours in saddle. But I haven't cycled for more than about 60km in one sitting yet, and not in warm temperatures where sweat can also be an issue.

I totally agree that good fitting shorts are a must. I bought some cheap one-piece winter tights from Wiggle, and the fit of the chamois is very poor; it just hangs down like a loose diaper. Fortunately these are only for commuting a short distance on the coldest days and I wouldn't wear them for exercise or longer rides.

I think I can be a bit more sparing with the cream if I apply it directly to my body. I only need a small dab in a couple of strategic spots - inside of thighs and on the perineum. It's not something would want to do by the side of the road though :-)
Old 07-13-17, 12:01 AM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Applying to skin or pad are OK. By applying to the skin you avoid the dirty diaper feel, but apply liberally to make up for the wicking. Just the problem areas is fine. The cream is a skin care product, not a lubricant. It has antiseptic properties and moisturizers. It combats the challenges skin has with the lack of blood flow, pressure, sweat and bacteria buildup. Applying a little after a thorough wash may help too. Continue to rub in a little daily as long as you see or feel any surface irritation.
Old 07-13-17, 03:09 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Well, there is one called Chamois Butt'r, which is pretty close.

Personally I apply it to my skin - ensures it gets to the right place, which is harder if you're applying it to the shorts. I totally agree with buying good quality shorts, but you don't have to go OTT. I bought some Assos shorts years back at huge expense and they really didn't work out for me. I've bought cheap ones which have been ok, but the ones I'm happiest with, and now wear all the time, are Castelli, which are priced between those two extremes. Be warned, though, that Italian makes like Assos and Castelli do come up small. I went for XL where L would normally have been my fit.

John
Old 07-13-17, 04:38 AM
johngwheeler

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Well, there is one called Chamois Butt'r, which is pretty close.

Personally I apply it to my skin - ensures it gets to the right place, which is harder if you're applying it to the shorts. I totally agree with buying good quality shorts, but you don't have to go OTT. I bought some Assos shorts years back at huge expense and they really didn't work out for me. I've bought cheap ones which have been ok, but the ones I'm happiest with, and now wear all the time, are Castelli, which are priced between those two extremes. Be warned, though, that Italian makes like Assos and Castelli do come up small. I went for XL where L would normally have been my fit.

John
Good point about sizing. I bought some "Rule XIV" (Rule 14) shorts from "Sport Pursuit" (on online store based in the UK), and got medium, but they're fairly tight. Not unusable, but I'd be hesitant to go for a long ride in them. The Pearl Izumis in the same nominal size are great. You probably won't find out until you buy them and try them - at which point it's probably a bit late to return unless you use your underpants (in contravention to some other rule, I'm sure!)
Old 07-13-17, 07:55 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I use Assos creme... so directly to the skin.
Old 07-13-17, 08:06 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I apply it to my skin and call it "taint lube".

There was an article on a cycling web site saying some pros are switching to "Bag Balm" instead of taint lube. I have some for my hands, so I tried it on my taint. Did not work well.
Old 07-13-17, 08:06 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I spent one summer trying out all sorts of different creams and things on century rides. Each weekend, I'd do another century, with another product.

Turns out using no creams at all was the most comfortable.

I found all the creams caused the shorts to stick to me and bunch up which got really uncomfortable on long rides.

Ensure your bicycle fits you and is set up correctly.
Get a good saddle.
Get a good pair of cycling shorts.
Work on your core and upper body strength so that you can sit with good posture and so that you can put quite a bit of your weight on your feet.
Cycle lots.
Shower and use a bit of zinc oxide cream after the ride if you notice a bit of a rash.

I will use a tiny dab of Ozonol or something occasionally on the rare occasions I think I might need something.

YMMV
Old 07-13-17, 08:25 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
The tube I have says 'apply directly to skin'
The Chamois Butt'r (purple tube) also comes in a single-use size, like an oversized ketchup packet.
Easy enough to put in a jersey pocket, however I've never felt the need to re-apply, even on 8-hour days.

Put it on before you put on your shorts. If you don't feel a little bit squishy, you didn't use enough.
Old 07-13-17, 08:41 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Almost all the shorts I've bought in the last 5 years have artificial chamois that are too thick. On those shorts I apply Chamois Butt'r to the edges of the chamois where experience has shown it's needed, generally in the front and down around the narrow region of the crotch.

It's rare I need it anywhere else, but if something does pop up, that gets a tiny bit on directly to the skin. I can usually get 3-4 applications out of a "single use" packet.
Old 07-13-17, 09:47 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I'd agree with others about trying different brands and finding one you like. I've got two pair of shorts and two pairs of pants. I like my Serfas shorts lining, can't really stand the Novara short lining, about ready to cut them out and just use the outer as board shorts. Even with the same brand there are variances, my tights are both Nashbar, the non bibs variant lining is comfortable but the bibs too thick and cushy.
Old 07-13-17, 10:11 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I also use Bag Balm, applied directly to my skin. More for moisture control and antiseptic qualities, and works very well for me. Don't need much, as a dime sized dollop, goes a long way!
Old 07-13-17, 10:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

You have never heard of Butt Butter********************???
Old 07-13-17, 10:56 AM
rydabent
Banned

Butt Butter, chamois cream and all the other goo that DF riders use to protect themselves from their bikes, I find a huge joke. They simply are not needed on recumbents. Reason 38 why bents are superior for the average cyclist.

Let the warnings and the hate comments begin.
Old 07-13-17, 11:01 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I also use Bag Balm, applied directly to my skin. More for moisture control and antiseptic qualities, and works very well for me. Don't need much, as a dime sized dollop, goes a long way!
I grew up on a farm and know what Bag Balm is. I cant imagine riding down the road smelling like Ada the ayrshire cow.
Old 07-13-17, 11:35 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I grew up on a farm and know what Bag Balm is. I cant imagine riding down the road smelling like Ada the ayrshire cow.

Youse guys from Nebraska don't ave any real winter, and feed them bovines too much dried out grass, weeds, and hemp.... Ours smell better in Illinois because of green grass...... and frequent care of them nipples.

You don't gob it on, just use it like hand lotion, to get a lite coating on the skin. You want it to almost disappear when you use it.

"A Farm Boy from Illinois"
Old 07-13-17, 11:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
I use Assos creme... so directly to the skin.
Laughing my Assos off.

When I think about this thread I touch myself.
Old 07-13-17, 11:54 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Butt Butter, chamois cream and all the other goo that DF riders use to protect themselves from their bikes, I find a huge joke. They simply are not needed on recumbents. Reason 38 why bents are superior for the average cyclist.

Let the warnings and the hate comments begin.
I will remember this post every time I pass a recumbent.
Old 07-13-17, 03:24 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by memebag
I will remember this post every time I pass a recumbent.
But it probably wont happen going down hill.
Old 07-13-17, 05:02 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
How long should it take to apply it directly to your skin?
Old 07-13-17, 05:15 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
Hours if done tantricly.
Old 07-13-17, 05:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
In the days of real chamois leather, I applied it to the leather. Since then, always me. (Those synthetic pads do just fine without. Hardly need to spend my money feeding the plastic.)

And if the term "chamois butter" has folks using a lot more to coat the whole no-longer-chamois with a non-butter, well good on the marketing folks!

Ben

(Creds here? Been using real chamois fat since 1975 and did so as long as I rode real chamois. 200,000 miles since I started using the stuff. I've had a few saddle sores over that time, non rider-busters. I do always keep Bag Balm on hand. The stuff that works.)
Old 07-13-17, 05:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
I apply it, pull my shorts up and go. There's no magic. Its a lubricant so your skin is in good shape down the road. Fewer microscopic issues to allow bacteria in.

(I will confess I haven't read most of the thread. Don't intend to. Chamois fat isn't high science. Just a matter of using one that works for you and using enough in the right places. Being pristine and tidy probably isn't going to help. Listen to your butt. It will tell you.)

Ben
Old 07-13-17, 07:31 PM
GAJett

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2010 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, 2010's Bike Friday Pocket Companion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'Nuther vote for Bag Balm😁. Use it for all kinds of sore spots from feet to chapped lips. For saddle sores apply also at night, not just when you ride. Helps healing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.