Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane SL 5 Disc 2018

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-17, 12:10 AM
sairam6087

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just saw that Trek has posted some of their 2018 line up on their website. The Domane SL 5 Disc is quite appealing at $2499. Anyone got a chance to try one of these out? Any thoughts?
Old 07-04-17, 07:31 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought the women's model for my wife. It is a nice bike. I don't think it's much different than the previous version, perhaps the molds are set and costs are down because of that.

I'm sticking with the ALR frame, but that's me. The wheelset is the same between the ALR 4 and the SL5 as far as I can tell, so you'll probably want to think about upgrading those first. IIRC, they use the same rims in the crossrip, and despite (or because of) the 24 hole hubs, they are pretty heavy.
Old 07-04-17, 07:43 AM
tarmacgreg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a nice bike, very comfortable, but if you're seriously interested in one, the only deciding factor is the test ride that you take on it. (FWIW - I rode a 2017 model, not 2018)

Also don't sell yourself short by only aiming for one brand/bike. Try out as many as you can in your price range, you might come out with something you never considered before riding it.
Old 07-15-17, 06:58 AM
JohnnyPedals

Bikes: 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked one up as a backup/bad weather bike to my TCR Advanced Pro. It is a great bike. I have 350 miles on it already. Very comfortable bike. The front and rear iso speed combined with larger tires makes for a very smooth ride. I would suggest getting new tires right away. They are wire beads and over 400 grams.
Bike is a good climber and a very stable descender. I'm a little concerned that my TCR will not get ridden as much anymore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Domane SL5 Disc.jpg (95.7 KB, 193 views)
Old 07-15-17, 02:12 PM
JohnnyPedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Wheels

Couldn't leave well enough alone. Took off the tank OEM wheels and put on Hed Wheels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Domane SL5 Disc HED.jpg (99.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 07-15-17, 05:20 PM
3LionsCT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I road the non disc version the other day . it's very nice. Trying to decide between the disc version and the Roubaix Elite. I was impressed with the Domaine but the Lbs said they couldn't get the disc version until Sept. I will wait so I can compare it directly to the 2018 Roubaix
Old 08-04-17, 08:35 PM
nek4life

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyPedals
Couldn't leave well enough alone. Took off the tank OEM wheels and put on Hed Wheels
Those wheels look sick! How much did they cost and how much weight did you save? Thinking about getting the disc version, but considering the non disc as well.
Old 08-04-17, 11:08 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
2017 Domane is no different to 2018 is it?
Old 08-05-17, 06:45 AM
JohnnyPedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nek4life
Those wheels look sick! How much did they cost and how much weight did you save? Thinking about getting the disc version, but considering the non disc as well.
Thanks!. Bought them from MYBIKESHOP.com they are running a 25% off sale . Paid $675.00 with free shipping. Original wheels weighed about 2200 grams. The Heds are a little under 1600 grams.

Wheels are awesome. Love the wide rim profile. Wheels are very stiff. Really no flex that I can feel. Hubs roll smooth.

I have about 600 miles on them including 4 centurys and they have been problem free so far
Old 08-05-17, 06:49 AM
JohnnyPedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
2017 Domane is no different to 2018 is it?
Correct. 2017 and 2018 had no changes to the frame and fork.
Old 08-05-17, 07:25 AM
nek4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!. Bought them from MYBIKESHOP.com they are running a 25% off sale . Paid $675.00 with free shipping. Original wheels weighed about 2200 grams. The Heds are a little under 1600 grams.

Wheels are awesome. Love the wide rim profile. Wheels are very stiff. Really no flex that I can feel. Hubs roll smooth.

I have about 600 miles on them including 4 centurys and they have been problem free so far
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. When you were shopping for wheels are there a lot of options for disc wheels? Are they more expensive? I'm trying to decide between the disc and non-disc version and the non-disc on sale comes in under $2000 which seems like a great price point for a nice carbon frame with 105 components.
Old 08-05-17, 07:50 AM
JohnnyPedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are plenty of options for disc wheels. No worries there. As far as the bike goes. I was looking for a bike to use when the weather isn't great so disc brake was a no brainer for my. I try to ride outside all winter as long as there is no snow or ice on the roads. Also I have a Giant TCR with rim brakes and carbon wheels so I was looking for something a little different.
You really can't go wrong with either bike. Rim brakes are fine. You will not "die" because you are on rim brakes

Another thing to consider is tire clearance. The rim brake only accepts up to a 28 tire Disc could easily fit a 35 ,which would be nice if you want to ride some gravel roads(something I want to do).

I would say if possible give both bikes a good test ride. Try to hit some good descents and see which you like better.
For me if I could only keep one bike I would sell my TCR
Old 08-05-17, 08:28 AM
nek4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You really can't go wrong with either bike. Rim brakes are fine. You will not "die" because you are on rim brakes
lol good to know! I'm sure they do work better in certain conditions, but I've never had a problem with my rim brakes on my mountain bike so I don't know what I'm missing out on. Probably don't plan on riding in wet weather unless I get caught out in it, which in Vermont is fairly likely to happen ()...

Another thing to consider is tire clearance. The rim brake only accepts up to a 28 tire Disc could easily fit a 35 ,which would be nice if you want to ride some gravel roads(something I want to do).
Honestly this is my biggest consideration. I talked to Trek and they said the disc could only take up to a 32 tire which I figure is the safe answer, but I've never had a road bike so I have no clue. So I didn't know how much difference a 28 vs 32 tire would actually make on dirt roads, which sometimes are packed and sometimes loose depending on wether or not they have just been graded.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 08-05-17, 03:17 PM
JohnnyPedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek specs 32 with fenders. You can easily go 35 without fenders