Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Phone screen turning on while in jersey pocket

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-17, 08:18 PM
chip1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I realize this is more of a tech question but I was wondering if others here had the same problem.

Whenever my phone gets a notification like text message the screen would turn on, which I wouldn't mind under normal circumstance because the screen turns back off within few seconds but this is extremely annoying during cycling because once it turns on inside the jersey pocket, my phone goes completely berserk calling random people and sending text messages presumably due to sweat moisture build up and/or the phone being pressed on my back. Any solution for this? I did find some features on the setting that I thought would solve it but to no success, and in tech forum some were suggesting downloading third party app which I prefer not to do at the moment.
Old 10-07-17, 08:22 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
On an iPhone you can select the do not disturb setting and the screen shouldn't light up. Assume Android has something similar.
Old 10-07-17, 08:33 PM
chip1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
On an iPhone you can select the do not disturb setting and the screen shouldn't light up. Assume Android has something similar.
Yes this is a main feature I'm looking at, but doesn't this mute all calls and texts? I'd like to be able to hear but just have the screen to stay off, with calls being exception as I don't think there's a way around it.
Old 10-07-17, 08:35 PM
chip1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually it seems like I can fiddle with do not disturb custom settings. Let me give it a try. Thanks Greg!
Old 10-07-17, 08:38 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could you use the pnone the phone in a small zip lock bag?
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 10-07-17, 08:45 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
In security settings, turn on "power button instantly locks". Your phone should be locked any time it is not in your hand. This eliminates butt dialing.
Old 10-07-17, 09:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Turn it so the screen faces away from you.

Phone screens need an electric charge to work. Turn it to face away from you and you are good since ther e wont be anything to create the charge.
Old 10-08-17, 04:06 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
In security settings, turn on "power button instantly locks". Your phone should be locked any time it is not in your hand. This eliminates butt dialing.
This. You don't even have to have it instantly locked, I wouldn't think (though it's not a bad idea). For this, just make sure it is locked while in your jersey pocket. That's how butt dialing was solved years ago...
Old 10-08-17, 04:39 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Turn it so the screen faces away from you.

Phone screens need an electric charge to work. Turn it to face away from you and you are good since ther e wont be anything to create the charge.
This is what I do..
Old 10-08-17, 04:55 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was going to suggest putting the phone in airplane mode, because I can't imagine wanting to get interrupted while actually riding. If I think anyone really needs to get a hold of me while I'm out, I put it back on normal to check for messages whenever I take a break.
Old 10-08-17, 07:53 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Not sure about your specific phone model, but I believe many smartphones should have some sort of security feature that detects it is inside a bag and disables accidental activation (usually by using the front-facing camera or similar means to detect that it is pressed against something).

On Huawei phones the setting is called "touch-disable mode"; check if your phone has anything similar in the phone settings.
Old 10-08-17, 09:28 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Not sure about your specific phone model, but I believe many smartphones should have some sort of security feature that detects it is inside a bag and disables accidental activation (usually by using the front-facing camera or similar means to detect that it is pressed against something).

On Huawei phones the setting is called "touch-disable mode"; check if your phone has anything similar in the phone settings.
Yes. On the Andriod I use, it's called "smart lock" in the security settings with all sorts of options for the phone locking and unlocking itself, but since I don't trust it, I just lock the screen whenever it is not on my hand. My cat can create all manor of havoc, consternation, and turmoil just by stepping on the screen.
Old 10-08-17, 10:16 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Pin or pattern security on the lock screen eliminates that problem. But it's so much nicer to just swipe to open that I personally have disabled security, my phone being near me all the time anyway. So I put it in a plastic bag AND keep the screen positioned away from my body in the jersey pocket.

Also a phone wallet works pretty well.
Old 10-08-17, 10:32 AM
British

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was happening to me, so what I do now is put a pin number lock on it during rides.
Old 10-08-17, 03:59 PM
chip1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. I found all posts useful.