Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island back road trip

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 10:52 AM
DeepSpace

Bikes: Fat Chance, Caonondale, Tommasini, Fezzari, Elsworth, and Intense

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any body here ridden in recent years Vancouver island tip to tip via back roads? If so any words of wisdom for a person planning the trip next spring. Thanks.
Old 11-27-17, 11:40 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by DeepSpace
Any body here ridden in recent years Vancouver island tip to tip via back roads? If so any words of wisdom for a person planning the trip next spring. Thanks.
I have not, but vik has been working on documenting that very project.

Last week we completed the first full ride through from Cape Scott in the North-West down to Victoria in the South-East. ~850kms & 12,590m climbing [531miles & 41,300'] in 7.5 days of riding.
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/5275401

https://vikapproved.wordpress.com/20...g-trip-report/
Old 11-27-17, 12:47 PM
DeepSpace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Just what I was looking for.
Old 11-27-17, 06:15 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A better question would be: "Where are you starting your trip?"

There are plenty of good rides on the Island, as well as the Gulf Islands as well. The Saanich Pennisula, has the Lochside Regional Trail that extends from the Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal to Victoria, as well as the Galloping Goose Regional Trail. There are a number of roads to explore there and the Brentwood Bay/Mill Bay ferry will help you bypas the grade (and not so rare crashes) of the Malahat. Naniamo has some good roads to explore as well, including Gabriola Island and Newcastle Island Provincial Park. Following the original highway routes (HWY 1A and 19A) has potential, as the keep fairly close to the sea side.

There are a few other routes to explore as well.
Old 11-27-17, 09:17 PM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I did a fair few kms on the logging roads on Vancouver Island last year. If you're planning on using logging roads, what kind of bike are you taking? I was on 50mm tires and wouldn't want to be on much narrower than that.
Old 11-27-17, 11:33 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
When is the rainy season up there?
Did you say spring ride?
Does the west side of the island get more rain than the east side?
Old 11-28-17, 08:34 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Originally Posted by chrisx
When is the rainy season up there?
Did you say spring ride?
Does the west side of the island get more rain than the east side?
Rainy season is roughly Oct/Nov to April/May.
West side is rainier it can get a lot of rain. As you would expect from geography. The driest spot is around Victoria.

I've ridden out there at Easter a few times. It can be really rainy or it can be warm and pleasant.
Old 11-28-17, 09:51 AM
DeepSpace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf
A better question would be: "Where are you starting your trip?"
I can start or end in Victoria depending on how I end up planning the trip. The original plan is to use the north island roads keeping as much as possible off main roads.
what kind of bike are you taking?
A 1990 fat chance wicked which I have one several tours on after I retired it from my main racing bike in the mid 90's. Right now its set up with Compass Rat Trap 2.3 inch tires. Timing of the trip is the first 10 days of August.
Thanks for the input.
Old 11-28-17, 05:40 PM
DanBell

A 1990 fat chance wicked
So jealous.

Timing of the trip is the first 10 days of August.
Thanks for the input.
That's the same time that I was there last year. I had zero rain but it was very hot and dusty on the logging roads.
Old 11-29-17, 11:21 AM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can start or end in Victoria depending on how I end up planning the trip. The original plan is to use the north island roads keeping as much as possible off main roads.
Once you get north of Campbell River, you're going to be on the highway for the most part. On the flip side, traffic isn't too bad and there are plenty of side trips into communities along the way.

If you do venture onto side roads, be aware that logging trucks MAY be of the very large, off highway variety, though I'm not sure if they are still used. Sunday would be the best time to explore these roads.

Other than that, enjoy the ride and take lots of pics. We'd love to see where you went.
Old 11-29-17, 12:07 PM
DeepSpace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once you get north of Campbell River, you're going to be on the highway for the most part. On the flip side, traffic isn't too bad and there are plenty of side trips into communities along the way.
Looking at the gpx file from the chap named Vik who did tip to tip and reading his article in another forum I was under the impression a lot of his trip was off road. Maybe I am wrong. Getting back from or to the north end is more of a hurdle than I thought. I may have found a ride to Port Hardy which is my hope is to get up north and ride back.

If you do venture onto side roads, be aware that logging trucks MAY be of the very large, off highway variety, though I'm not sure if they are still used. Sunday would be the best time to explore these roads.
Logging trucks I am used to living on the Olympic Peninsula, but until I started researching this I had no idea such trucks existed. But I ride on the back roads out in the forks area constantly and for the most part the truckers have been harmless. I do my best to hear them coming and get out of their way. After all they are working and I am not. Most drivers here are paid by the load and understandably are in a hurry.

Other than that, enjoy the ride and take lots of pics. We'd love to see where you went.
Sadly I am guilty of not being much of a shutter bug. My last trip through Death Valley across the Sierras and home via the coast had zero images.
Old 11-29-17, 12:39 PM
DeepSpace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting out at the north end such as Port Hardy appears the best. Its a bit of a task at this point. I may have found a ride but am not counting on it yet. But looking at the gpx file and reading the post in another forum by the rider called vik I was under the impression they mostly road off road. I may be wrong.

[QUOTE]If you do venture onto side roads, be aware that logging trucks MAY be of the very large, off highway variety, though I'm not sure if they are still used. Sunday would be the best time to explore these roads.[QUOTE]
Living on the Olympic peninsula I thought I was use to logging trucks. But I had no idea the behemoths you mentioned existed until planning this trip. I ride remote roads and encounter trucks, so far they have been easy to deal with. I listen for them coming and attempt to be in a place that doesn't hinder them. I am of course recreating and they are working. Generally getting paid by the load.

Sadly I am not much of a shutter bug.
Old 11-29-17, 02:55 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

vik says his route is all logging roads

The route is all GDR/TD style logging roads. However, you will pass through 4 towns with amazing trail networks should you want to drop the camping gear and spend a couple days shredding while reloading on beer and pizza!
He does mention some heavy logging truck traffic

Unfortunately our ride the remaining ~50kms from Holberg happened to coincided with a shift change and being a Friday afternoon the lumberjacks needed to rush to Port Hardy to ensure they didn't miss out on the last pint of beer and last decent looking lady. It wasn't life and death for us, but it did ruin the ride from an enjoyment perspective.
I would suggest anyone thinking of doing this route read his descriptions and maybe contact him in person. He is pretty approachable.
Old 12-06-17, 01:14 AM
Anna4255

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing to contribute. I'm just following thread to learn new stuff
Old 12-06-17, 06:56 AM
DanBell

I was fine with the logging trucks when I rode there. You hear them coming, so I just stopped and got out of the way, then gave them a friendly wave as they went by. Always got a friendly response.

It's their road, but if you're using it respectfully they don't mind you being there. And they'll tell the other drivers that there's a crazy guy on a bike out there, so they are all aware that you're there, and also how you're conducting yourself on the road. I found that the vast majority of drivers would slow right down as they passed me to cut down on the amount of dust kicked up in my face.
Old 12-06-17, 01:27 PM
DeepSpace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBell
I was fine with the logging trucks when I rode there. You hear them coming, so I just stopped and got out of the way, then gave them a friendly wave as they went by. Always got a friendly response.

It's their road, but if you're using it respectfully they don't mind you being there. And they'll tell the other drivers that there's a crazy guy on a bike out there, so they are all aware that you're there, and also how you're conducting yourself on the road. I found that the vast majority of drivers would slow right down as they passed me to cut down on the amount of dust kicked up in my face.
Fully agree. I have been sharing the roads both paved and gravel with logging trucks here on the Olympic peninsula since 1973. Give them space and respect and you will be fine. For anyone interested in the Vancouver island back roads besides the link above here is a very in depth site.
www.backroadsbiketouring.com
Sorry about non clickable link don't have 10 posts.