Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 11:16 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I raced Phil in college and he was a total dick. That plus his absurdly duplicitous stance on doping ensures I'll never read his books.
I don't know you in person, but based on your online presence, you also can be rather salty.

Note, I'm not defending Phil, and I don't really like him either.
Old 02-02-18, 01:18 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I don't know you in person, but based on your online presence, you also can be rather salty.
Sounds about right.
Old 02-02-18, 03:12 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I just got tired of Phil's "cookies!" thing. I mean, everyone loves cookies.

His first book was pretty funny. But after that he got all weird when it came to Tom Danielson's doping.. meh

my race videos
Old 02-02-18, 03:42 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
For someone with as little talent (or at age 28 figuring out you need drugs to win), he's a smart marketing guy. Using writing, books, cookies and Strava to make a living instead of cycling seems pretty smart to me. I like him more after his "retirement".
Old 02-02-18, 03:48 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I'm definitely going to make diet modifications in hopes of avoiding medicine. Have any of you had to deal with this before? If so what did you do to make it better?
What medication are they advising? If it's just a proton pump inhibitor I would try a round of drugs. PPI are very low-risk (over the counter even in Canada).
Old 02-02-18, 05:22 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge

On the beer...https://www.graffbrygghus.no/
Alcohol laws tax ABV of >5% beer at something like 40% (vs normal 25%) when purchased locally. We had this great session (low alcohol) IPA and I wanted to find the place that made it. We stumbled (Google - "find brewery near me") into a shack and Marius invited us in. I impressed him by identifying the hops in our first taste - Citra (not hard if you know IPAs). He says the Europeans are looking to follow the USA brewers for craft beer and sources most his stuff from the Pacific Northwest.
This is a cool trip. I'm not a huge beer enthusiast, I like good, local beers and can't stand cheap **** (except Rainier), but something like this would be cool to do. Did he tell you where he is getting his stuff from the PNW?

On alcohol taxes.. Come to Utah where everything is expensive and hard to find because I live a religiousocracy. 3.2ABW my ass...
Old 02-02-18, 05:59 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
This is a cool trip. I'm not a huge beer enthusiast, I like good, local beers and can't stand cheap **** (except Rainier), but something like this would be cool to do. Did he tell you where he is getting his stuff from the PNW?

On alcohol taxes.. Come to Utah where everything is expensive and hard to find because I live a religiousocracy. 3.2ABW my ass...
I go to Utah every couple months on the way to see my kid. My wife, given the choice wants to Utah over any place on earth. Squatters, Epic, Wasatch (Utah breweries) are still very enjoyable. My opinion needs to go to the PR section and I don't post there. But you have it better.

Yes, I know where he gets his stuff. I'm trying to import it.

Last edited by Doge; 02-02-18 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 09:04 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I go to Utah every couple months on the way to see my kid. My wife, given the choice wants to Utah over any place on earth. Squatters, Epic, Wasatch (Utah breweries) are still very enjoyable. My opinion needs to go to the PR section and I don't post there. But you have it better.

Yes, I know where he gets his stuff. I'm trying to import it.
Hear you on the PR stuff. And yeah, I've found some good brewskis. Polygamy porter, and Niner bock are both great. Can never go wrong with a beer that had a pic of a bike on it.

And don't get me wrong, I like it here quite a bit.
Old 02-02-18, 11:28 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

On alcohol taxes.. .
Canada is still probably worse. A 12 pack of cheap beer -let's say rolling rock- in Tuscon Arizona at a convenience store is $10USD or something like that. That same thing in Canada would be 24.99 CND plus $0.10 deposit/can (returnable).

Last edited by Enthalpic; 02-03-18 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-03-18, 11:21 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Skipped another Saturday club ride to go off-road with a couple tough women I know. 27 miles with 3600 feet of climbing and rough descents, rocks, sand, and spectacular views. Maybe this road stuff is over-rated.
Old 02-04-18, 08:17 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
You guys were talking about good beer recently, and I keep trying to like "good" beers but I really don't like anything too strong. I got a pack of Hofbrauhause Lager a couple weeks ago that I really enjoyed, and I enjoy Fat Tire, and Yuengling (which I hate myself for enjoying for other reasons, but when you live in PA and like cheap lagers, ya know).

Yesterday I branched out and bought a Hefeweisbier or however you spell it, and I just don't enjoy it that much. It smells delicious but I don't love the taste. I've also tried IPAs and haven't enjoyed them.

Should I just give up and stick to simple lagers? I feel like once you're out of college and not poor you're supposed to drink better beer, especially these days.
Old 02-04-18, 12:17 PM
topflightpro

My wife and I went out the other night to get some pints of Foothills Brewing's Sexual Chocolate. It's a limited release barrel aged stout. Each year, it seems to get harder and harder to get.
Old 02-04-18, 03:18 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Flatballer
You guys were talking about good beer recently, and I keep trying to like "good" beers but I really don't like anything too strong. I got a pack of Hofbrauhause Lager a couple weeks ago that I really enjoyed, and I enjoy Fat Tire, and Yuengling (which I hate myself for enjoying for other reasons, but when you live in PA and like cheap lagers, ya know).

Yesterday I branched out and bought a Hefeweisbier or however you spell it, and I just don't enjoy it that much. It smells delicious but I don't love the taste. I've also tried IPAs and haven't enjoyed them.

Should I just give up and stick to simple lagers? I feel like once you're out of college and not poor you're supposed to drink better beer, especially these days.
Drink what you like. This goes for everything in life. Just because someone likes Farm-fresh, organically traded Kimchi (or some other bull**** food/drink people get prissy about), doesn't mean I have to like it. There's a place for strong IPA beers (which I quite enjoy) but there is also a place for light beers to drink with buddies.

Another alcohol example in my life.. I really don't like wine. But I tried some barefoot moscatto out of a box and quite enjoyed it. If I told this to someone who was into wine I'm sure I would lampooned for not drinking "French, magic grapes" or some other excuse to get pretentious.
Old 02-04-18, 06:53 PM
rubiksoval

Drink what you like. This goes for everything in life. Just because someone likes Farm-fresh, organically traded Kimchi (or some other bull**** food/drink people get prissy about), doesn't mean I have to like it. There's a place for strong IPA beers (which I quite enjoy) but there is also a place for light beers to drink with buddies.
You don't like Kimchi?!!
Old 02-04-18, 07:51 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Some people put dairy and sugar in their coffee!
Old 02-04-18, 07:52 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Bud or Coors light is probably the best selling beer - people like it.
Old 02-04-18, 08:30 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
You don't like Kimchi?!!
it's not the best

my race videos
Old 02-04-18, 08:39 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by mattm
it's not the best
I think it's an acquired taste... and it took me a solid three years to acquire it.
Old 02-04-18, 09:17 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I'm 1000% not a beer guy. Can't stand Sam Adams, I am okay with a Corona, maybe some Asahi (which is watery after the first few sips). Every other beer I've tried is just mouth curling. I like white wine but I'm allergic, break out into massive hives after a sip or two. So no white wine for me.

But holy smokes this stuff is great, and not just because the owner is a customer, is a really cool guy, and brings us free beer. It's really, really, really good. And expensive if you buy it.

https://hookerbeer.com/beers/nofilter-ipa/
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-04-18, 10:39 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts

I don't think theres a rule to like good beer. I personally just dislike cheap lagers most of the time. I love IPA & Belgian strong ales. Ill have stouts on occasion but they are a not heavy and rich for a common everyday beer.
Old 02-04-18, 10:50 PM
Doge

You guys were talking about good beer recently, and I keep trying to like "good" beers but I really don't like anything too strong. ...
There are bad beers for sure. But the preference for type - IPA, Pilsner (larger) on and on ... is based on experience and age. A 50+ person is much more likely to enjoy a bitter beer. Still some in 20s/30s like bitter. Some don't. But with age comes an appreciation for bitter, stink and rancid stuff (Stilton Blu Cheese) that is mostly because regular taste buds don't work as well.

Beer people, like whiskey people, like wine people will generally agree on the level of whatever it is they are drinking. It may not be their favorite, but given time - you can tell. There are lots of good beers I don't like. But I can tell they are good beers. IPAs are so popular now there is a lot of bad stuff out there. So while I love IPAs I know some breweries that are so bad at it, I'd rather have a Coors - or a water.

Last edited by Doge; 02-04-18 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 03:02 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There are bad beers for sure. But the preference for type - IPA, Pilsner (larger) on and on ... is based on experience and age. A 50+ person is much more likely to enjoy a bitter beer. Still some in 20s/30s like bitter. Some don't. But with age comes an appreciation for bitter, stink and rancid stuff (Stilton Blu Cheese) that is mostly because regular taste buds don't work as well.

Beer people, like whiskey people, like wine people will generally agree on the level of whatever it is they are drinking. It may not be their favorite, but given time - you can tell. There are lots of good beers I don't like. But I can tell they are good beers. IPAs are so popular now there is a lot of bad stuff out there. So while I love IPAs I know some breweries that are so bad at it, I'd rather have a Coors - or a water.
Old people like bitter more often because bitter is the flavor which declines most with age.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...31938494903719
Old 02-05-18, 07:56 AM
topflightpro

I hate IPAs. In fact, I hate anything hoppy. It tastes like soap to me.

I also hate Cilantro, which also tastes like soap.

Apparently, it's genetic: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...n_7653808.html and https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer...ate-hoppy-beer
Old 02-05-18, 08:35 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Yesterday while riding in a group we came to a stop light and the guy next to me rode into me a little so when I put my foot down I pushed him away so he wouldn't knock me over. He then stepped on my foot, breaking the buckle of my shoe. Crap.
Last week I was programming a car with a usb cable and a guy walked by and tripped over the cable and sent my laptop flying. It worked for 2 more days and quit. Crap.
Old 02-05-18, 09:41 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
IPAs are for losers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.