Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Controlling the lane!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Do you take a prominent position in a lane when needed?
Yes, I take a prominent lane postion when I need to for my own safety.
85.98%
No, I do not ever take over a lane.
14.02%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Controlling the lane!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-18, 04:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
And in any case the root expression is "It takes two to Tango."

A single strand of rope can tangle ... but a solo dancer cannot Tango.

And ... I am not saying I am talentless as either a rider or a driver, but i cannot figure out how I would hit myself on the bike while in my car.

Which some might say is a strong argument for cloning.
Old 04-17-18, 04:23 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
@Maelochs, right you are. I don't know where my head was.
Old 04-17-18, 04:54 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
What if you took the lane successfully and that is what your headstone says?

Already been through that situation and got a stern warning from a local policeman.

And he had a point. It was taken.
Was he a cyclist? Unless your a kid the only point a policeman has is that of the law. Otherwise, what makes his point any better than yours?
Originally Posted by mr_bill
SMIDSY (sorry mate I didn’t see you) is really SMIDL (sorry mate I didn’t look).

They can’t see if they don’t look. And we can’t make them look.

-mr. bill
Which makes no sense whatsoever. I can see a pebble in the road. How could you not someone moving directly in front of you?
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Just wanna be clear exactly what's going on here:

You are choosing to place yourself directly in the path of a motorized vehicle travelling at a speed much greater than yours; you're completely exposed and unprotected, on a bicycle; you're relying on them to "make the appropriate adjustment in their own speed and course".
When you put it that way you make is seem like you're a target. If that's your assumption then how do you ever ride on the road at all?
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
What kind of mirrors do you guys use?
I have a glasses mounted mirror I used yesterday and today to keep an eye on traffic behind me. It works fine but is a PITA to adjust every time I ride.
I've used some mirrors that clipped onto the handlebars but they tended to move alot in the wind and tended to only be useful when I'm going slow. Are bar end mirrors any better?
Glasses mount. I had a helmet mount but it was hard to adjust and had a plastic mirror that warped the view making it impossible to judge position of approaching vehicles.
Originally Posted by sirkaos
I take the lane using situational awareness. as most of us do. We have some two lane roads that drivers are up around 45-55mph. We have long hills and curves that create blind spots for the cars coming up from behind. I have two mirrors, one on the helmet and the other on the left handlebar drop. If I am on one of "those" roads , I will position myself in the lane to allow the greatest visibility to the driver approaching from the rear. I tend to chose the middle of the lane, then I will watch the driver well back, to see if they are moving over or if they continue with no reaction to me. If I see them moving over, I tend to move over as well to indicate a level of cooperation. I will even give a quick wave after they pass if it can be done safely. If I get a knucklehead, then I of course get well over as much as possible.

I always try to keep the best angle of site for the driver to get as much notice as possible. Then I can determine by their reaction if they will work with me or not.
Every walk down the corridor or on a sidewalk when someone is approaching and end up doing the "dance"? That's because you're trying to predict their direction, and they're trying to predict your direction. Pick a position and stick to it. Your position should remain constant so that they know where you are. This is the #1 cause of low-speed accidents.
Originally Posted by bbbean
I never know what people mean when they post this. Should I simply stay home, then? It only takes one to do a lot of things.
Stay home and crawl under your bed. There is an inherent risk every time you leave your home.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-17-18 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-17-18, 05:30 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
Do you guys take a prominent position on the road? When you are driving(for those who also drive a vehicle) do you find it more irritating having to fully change lanes instead of being in the middle of lanes when passing?
If the situation warrants it, yes, I will "take the lane". For the most part, drivers take it in stride, though on a couple of occasions, this was NOT the case.

The first incident happened back in 2005 when I was living in the City of North Vancouver, BC, Canada. I would ride along the Dollarton HWY (HWY in name only) on a roundabout route to get to the Seymour Demonstration Forest (awesome paved path there). The route was being 4-laned at the time. The part of the bridge over the Seymour River that would carry westbound traffic had been completed. A contra flow was in effect as eastbound traffic was diverted on this portion of the bridge, so the old structure could be removed and the rest of the new bridge built.

I was cycling westbound over the bridge and had taken the lane accordingly. That didn't impress some dip from carrying out an unsafe pass, knocking over several 45cm cones in the process. Once out of the work zone, the second driver (who would have been behind Idiot-boy) gave me a WTF expression after seeing what had just happened. I gave him a thumbs up and grinned. He grinned back, waved and was on his way, knowing I was Ok.

The second incident was on a bridge in town where I live. I was cycling N Bound over the bridge and some driver got impatient and floored it past me in the other lane. The bridge itself is 18' (feet) between guardrails. It was in the evening, so traffic wasn't affected.
Old 04-17-18, 07:04 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Krane XL.... I wont bother quoting the unrelated and ridiculous response you presented as it makes absolutely no sense.
Uh, by the way..... NO ONE identifies Southern California as "South California" Appreciate the humor though!
Old 04-17-18, 07:46 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Another 'take the lane' situation is to prevent a pass coming toward you.

Sometimes kind of a game of chicken, but better than being run off the road

or hit head on.
Old 04-17-18, 07:58 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Another 'take the lane' situation is to prevent a pass coming toward you.

Sometimes kind of a game of chicken, but better than being run off the road

or hit head on.
You sir, are a mad man. I wouldn’t even consider taking on an oncoming car... or one that I thought might swing out. That’s easily 60 mph speed differential... that’s 9x the Kinect energy of a collision with the typical 20 mph speed differential in many rearend collisions
Old 04-18-18, 03:09 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

If all you own is a hammer, you hammer in screws.

If your "safe cycling" toolbox holds a variety of implements, you choose the one that will best handle the task at hand.

And if you are on BF, you come here and fight about it.

I am not sure there is a strong connection between "safe cycling" and "playing chicken with head-on traffic"---seems you either get hammered or screwed. Not sure if "taking the lane" is the best tool for that job.

Good luck, though.

Say, what does the expression "jumped the shark" refer to?
Old 04-18-18, 03:28 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I'm not happy about the options of the poll.

Like 'Never' or 'If i need to for my safety'.. Really..?!

I almost never ride on the road, but if ever i have to, i don't take the lane, i stay at the side. I've never had such a close pass i was in serious danger i couldn't get out of. I use practical bikes, with proper handlebars and proper tyres, so i can usually stay on even if i was forced to leave the road.

All that said, how can i possibly choose option 'No' over option 'Yes'..? If my safety depended on it, of course i'd take the lane. I guess. This poll isn't gonna be a very good reflection of the two positions really, is it.
Old 04-18-18, 04:10 AM
Maelochs

For some, "taking the lane" is an option.

For some, it is a religion.

Don't expect reason, in polls or in discussion.

Also, do not participate in polls. Polls are designed to force people to support whichever position the pollster want supported, while supposedly "empowering" the respondent with the illusion of choice and the idea that his or her opinion counts and will be counted.

Simple polls, like this, really ask, "Do you agree with me, or are you wrong?" More sophisticated polls only offer you choices of supporting what the pollster believes in, without making it obvious.

It is all spin and fake science.

I did a poll once, and as I expected, 100 percent of the respondents agreed with me that polls were BS. Why would I argue with myself?
Old 04-18-18, 04:31 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
...Say, what does the expression "jumped the shark" refer to?
D'uh, I know, I know... Call on me.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Jumping the shark is crossing the point where something that was once popular no longer warrants the attention it has previously received, particularly when attempts at publicity only serve to highlight its irrelevance. This is especially applicable to television series or other entertainment outlets...

Originally the phrase was used to describe an episode of a television comedy with a gimmick or unlikely occurrence desperately attempting to keep viewers' interest. Moments labelled as "jumping the shark" are considered indications that writers have exhausted their focus; that the show has strayed irretrievably from an older and better formula; or that the series as a whole is declining in quality...

The phrase derives from a scene in a fifth-season episode of the sitcom Happy Days in which the character Fonzie jumps over a shark while on water-skis. This was deemed a ratings ploy, for it was outside the original thrust of the sitcom.

The usage of "jump the shark" has subsequently broadened beyond television, indicating the moment when a brand, design, franchise, or creative effort's evolution declines, or when it changes notably in style into something unwelcome..
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
BTW, I don’t list my location under my avatar, but it is “D’uh” [in Kenmore Square].

Jim from Boston
Whenever I see a series of nested quotes, I think "it's Jim from 'Duh' again."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-18-18 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 04:36 AM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Jumped the shark means to sell-out. The saying comes from Arther Fonzerelli doing the stunt. Yes, I will take a lane if i deem neccesary.
Old 04-18-18, 04:54 AM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If all you own is a hammer, you hammer in screws.

If your "safe cycling" toolbox holds a variety of implements, you choose the one that will best handle the task at hand.

And if you are on BF, you come here and fight about it.

I am not sure there is a strong connection between "safe cycling" and "playing chicken with head-on traffic"---seems you either get hammered or screwed. Not sure if "taking the lane" is the best tool for that job.

Good luck, though.

Say, what does the expression "jumped the shark" refer to?
Funny isn’t it? Some of these guys really must be a hoot at parties.

Originally Posted by hay
Jumped the shark means to sell-out. The saying comes from Arther Fonzerelli doing the stunt[...]
Pretty sure the question was rhetorical? As in, this thread has ...

Last edited by RobotGuy; 04-18-18 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 05:00 AM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
D'uh, I know, I know... Call on me.
All those nested quotes... seems like quite a labor of love?
Old 04-18-18, 05:08 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Yes, I will control a lane where necessary. Two examples locally.

My commute takes me along some winding narrow lanes. I'll stay right out when there's a car behind, as if you stay in leaving just enough room to squeeze a car by the driver will take a chance overtaking by a bend, then have either brake hard, giving you a good chance of running into his boot, or squeeze you into the hedge, to avoid the oncoming car that he failed to either see or even think about. Consideration goes both ways though, so if I'm holding a car behind I'll slow into a layby or passing space as soon as one comes up.

The other time is on a roundabout; if I'm using the left hand lane to turn left or go straight on I'll use the middle of the lane - same issue really; if you're in the left of this lane drivers will try and squeeze between you and the traffic in the right hand lane.
Old 04-18-18, 07:53 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by RobotGuy
Seems more like it requires quite a lot of labor to read.
Old 04-18-18, 07:57 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
On which part of a shoulderless road is this not the case?

Please point to the safe spot where cars don't travel:

Really? All of it is a safe spot.

That's a terrifying road all right.

-mr. bill
Old 04-18-18, 08:07 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
What if you took the lane successfully and that is what your headstone says?

Already been through that situation and got a stern warning from a local policeman.

And he had a point. It was taken.
Our local PD gave a demonstration last month, rear-ending my buddy on his way home from work. This appears to be a demonstration of the consequences of distracted driving. My buddy is recovering, but it will be a long slow path.

OTOH I've been on the receiving end of a squeeze/punish-pass from a local cop, making it clear that shoulder hugging isn't safe either.

Frankly, most cops are completely unaware of traffic laws and how it applies to people using bikes on the road. They most often quote the "far right" part of our laws and fail to understand that there are many exceptions to "far right"... but no exceptions to 3-foot passing distance.

To be 'safe', I do my best to avoid roads that require me to ride in a traffic lane. When a route requires riding one of these roads, I will take a dominate position in the right lane to force people in cars to change lanes to pass.

When I am driving a car and approach somebody riding in the lane, I happily slow until I can make a safe pass by leaving their lane.
Old 04-18-18, 08:20 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by RobotGuy
I think that many of us simply skip over the posts with serial nested quotes.
Old 04-18-18, 09:01 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 997 Posts
Really? All of it is a safe spot.

That's a terrifying road all right.

-mr. bill
From the POV of the person I quoted, this is a road that has no place that cars don't occupy. The only way to know that an overtaking car that isn't seeing you doesn't hit you is to get into the dirt, because even the far right of the lane is where the car is going to be.

And the point is that we do an awful lot of cycling on faith that no one is going to hit us. Bicycles don't have fast reaction steering, and anyone who overtakes us on a country road like this WILL kill us if they don't actively see and avoid the cyclist. Cycling car accidents don't automatically happen on busy roads - they happen anywhere a driver fails to see and avoid a bike - and that's anywhere.
Old 04-18-18, 09:07 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I expect the people who oppose taking the lane to lobby for separated bike lanes. But, there are people who are opposed to those too.
Old 04-18-18, 09:21 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I expect the people who oppose taking the lane to lobby for separated bike lanes. But, there are people who are opposed to those too.
There is no "group" which "opposes" taking the lane---no group riding bicycles.

The only people who "oppose" taking the lane are drivers---who by and large don't want bikes Anywhere on the road surface.

The groups here are cyclists who seem to believe that taking the lane makes them invulnerable, and the "gutter suckers" they dump on---the ones they blame for all bike accidents and bad drivers.

Most sensible road riders who have survived for any period of time know when to do what ... else They'd Be Dead.

But the "Take the lane or die!' crowd cannot admit there are other ways to ride .... their creed is that taking the lane is the most important safety effort and nothing else matters ... which even they don't Really believe, but you know how it gets when people repeat slogans enough ... they start to think people who don't agree with the extreme position expressed in their slogan must "oppose" them.

Nobody "opposes" taking the lane. Some people don't think it has magical powers, that's all.
Old 04-18-18, 09:28 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
In my experience, it is more important to take the lane in a rural area with high speed limits.
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Just wanna be clear exactly what's going on here:

You are choosing to place yourself directly in the path of a motorized vehicle travelling at a speed much greater than yours;
Originally Posted by Kontact
From the POV of the person I quoted, this is a road that has no place that cars don't occupy.
That's not high speed rural road. Maybe it would be better if you posted pictures of a high speed rural road that YOU ride on rather than a stock photo of a road that you don't ride on.

-mr. bill
Old 04-18-18, 09:33 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 997 Posts
That's not high speed rural road. Maybe it would be better if you posted pictures of a high speed rural road that YOU ride on rather than a stock photo of a road that you don't ride on.

-mr. bill
The rural roads I ride on look like that (two lanes wide, blacktop, no shoulder), have posted speed limits of either 35 or 45 mph and people drive 5-10 mph over the limit.

Maybe you should say what you call "high speed".
Old 04-18-18, 09:41 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
For some, "taking the lane" is an option.

For some, it is a religion.

Don't expect reason, in polls or in discussion.

Also, do not participate in polls. Polls are designed to force people to support whichever position the pollster want supported, while supposedly "empowering" the respondent with the illusion of choice and the idea that his or her opinion counts and will be counted.

Simple polls, like this, really ask, "Do you agree with me, or are you wrong?" More sophisticated polls only offer you choices of supporting what the pollster believes in, without making it obvious.

It is all spin and fake science.

I did a poll once, and as I expected, 100 percent of the respondents agreed with me that polls were BS. Why would I argue with myself?
Depends on the quality of the poll. Some are more neutral than others. It can be tricky undertaking and difficulty to be objective sometimes. One reason why I typically include "other" in mine. Stay tuned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.