Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Day light going bye bye = loss of motivation

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Day light going bye bye = loss of motivation

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 10:20 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as some of you here. With the loss of daylight hours it is getting harder and harder to get motivated to get out and ride. I'm hoping that I'll still manage to ride on weekends though. Just later in the day I suppose.
Old 08-27-18, 10:41 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
^THIS^

Light has no impact on my motivation, frequency, etc. Ironically, because of those flashing red and bright white LEDs, we're more visible when riding in the dark.

Now the dropping temps... different story ;-)

Yep, you and I are in Atlanta.

I'll start a ride just as the sun is dipping below the horizon and go 50 miles, typically two or three times/week. Tonight I did 30 miles gravel out in Paulding County in the dark.

I'm completely set up for the cold. Just need to have the right gear, ride within your own limits and the gear's limits and trust that your gear will do its job. Modern cycling gear is just as revolutionary as lights if used correctly. That's a whole 'nother topic we will be talking about soon enough.

-Tim-
Old 08-27-18, 10:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Im doing a 35-40 mile ride tomorrow starting at 7:30AM. Weather is to be 65-66 degrees. I can live with that
Nope, ain't nothing wrong with that at all.

-Tim-
Old 08-27-18, 11:31 PM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would hit 60 miles if not for the early nights now
Old 08-28-18, 06:41 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Yep, you and I are in Atlanta...I'm completely set up for the cold.
So you need to add some arm warmers and you're good to go.
Old 08-28-18, 06:53 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Yep, you and I are in Atlanta.

I'll start a ride just as the sun is dipping below the horizon and go 50 miles, typically two or three times/week. Tonight I did 30 miles gravel out in Paulding County in the dark.

I'm completely set up for the cold. Just need to have the right gear, ride within your own limits and the gear's limits and trust that your gear will do its job. Modern cycling gear is just as revolutionary as lights if used correctly. That's a whole 'nother topic we will be talking about soon enough.

-Tim-
Oh, I know. I used to say that my cut-off was 25 degrees. And yeah @jitteringjr - that doesn't happen much down here. I've got all the gear... but last winter I got a Kickr and, well... I've softened. Cold weather is often described in my club as "it's looking a bit zwifty outside" meaning, we're meeting in Watopia instead of outside.
Old 08-28-18, 07:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
this is why I like protected bike paths. they feel safer than streets at night. last fall I got into a habit of throwing my bike on my car, then after work, driving to a well known trail for 1-2 hrs of riding. early on, I started the rides before dark but then eventually started the rides in darkness. it's a little creepy but the trail is used by other ppl so I wasn't entirely alone. get some lights & find a trail?

last year I added a wide angle lens & a hood so that I wouldn't blind oncoming ppl. works great, but they sell lights now that have these features as standard

went from this

to this

Old 08-28-18, 07:25 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by jitteringjr
So you need to add some arm warmers and you're good to go.
Atlanta isn't the topics.

It was 17° last Jan 1 and my bottles froze.
Old 08-28-18, 08:02 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr

12 hours of riding time in 15 hours elapsed time? Did you smoke a brisket in there too?
Actually had to stop back home to make sure wife woke up and left house in time for Girl Scout volunteer job. Took advantage of return to shower and change kit even though IF I had jumped into our pool I probably would have dried off in the water. Heat and Humidity during the night made for dripping wet riding. Also had 2 sun-up stops for refueling.

Originally Posted by woodcraft
What lights do you use?
One 650 NiteRider and two 600 NightRider lights. 650 mounted on helmet and 600's on bars.

https://www.niterider.com/road/
Old 08-28-18, 08:02 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Lucky for me, my work schedule is 9:30 - 6 PM so I always ride before work, usually leave the house between 6:30-7:30 for 1-2 hours of riding. Don't mind the change in day length because I absolutely love being outside right at dawn, and my lights keep me plenty visible. I do hate the cold, though, and will switch back to Zwift as soon as it's regularly in the 40s or below.
Old 08-28-18, 08:08 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
One 650 NiteRider and two 600 NightRider lights. 650 mounted on helmet and 600's on bars.

https://www.niterider.com/road/
On the low setting?
Old 08-28-18, 08:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
On the low setting?
I hope so, otherwise I'd be more concerned with blinding someone and having them plow in to me.
Old 08-28-18, 08:39 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm still injured from my crash at the moment so, not riding.. at all. 😞
But, for me.. I can't go riding at peak traffic hours (ie 6:30am-9-30am and 3:30pm to 6:30pm) because people driving to/from work just drive too recklessly and are far too distracted. Way too many close calls. So I feel the OPs pain here because when the daylight gets shorter, it kills my motivation because my available riding times are greatly diminished. I don't like riding when it's too cold, either. I think 50° is my cutoff. I don't have cold weather gear and don't feel like splurging for all of it. Just not that interested in it. So I typically pull out the trainer and start riding indoors. A/C on if necessary .Lol . it's not the same, but it's something.
Old 08-28-18, 09:30 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That's awesome shift. One summer I had a very similar 12-10, Sun-Weds.
Ugh I hate it. I work 11-8 3 or 4 days a week. I'd rather work super early
Old 08-28-18, 09:38 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
On the low setting?
YES, low setting one at a time most often. Once my eyes are night acclimated there is usually no need for additional brightness whether roads have pole lights or not. I flip on helmet 650 on low when riding next to a preserve area where wild hogs often graze next to the road and when wet conditions exist. As the first 600 reduces in intensity I will flip back-up 600 on usually 4 hours into the ride.
Old 08-28-18, 10:13 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
It was 17° last Jan 1 and my bottles froze.
haha bingo! that's the temp!
Old 08-28-18, 07:30 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eh, doesn't make much difference to me.. don't mind riding before the sun comes up (it's light by the time I get back home) and even in summer I get home too late to ride.

Modern LED lighting has made lack of sunlight all but irrelevant.

-Tim-
OK, I know you were just being rhetorical, and it's great how efficient LED are these days, but that is SO WRONG.
When there is no ambient daylight, riding around with bright headlights is good for nothing but blinding people. It's certainly no substitute for daylight.
/rant.
Old 08-28-18, 07:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If your lights are aimed correctly and have decent cutoff, you're not blinding anyone. I like riding at night. The cars are easier to see, there are a lot less of them, I know I'm easier to see (with the lights, ya'know) and there are no bars in my neighborhood.

As to being concerned about "blinding people"... yeah, nah.
Old 08-28-18, 08:01 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If your lights are aimed correctly and have decent cutoff, you're not blinding anyone. I like riding at night. The cars are easier to see, there are a lot less of them, I know I'm easier to see (with the lights, ya'know) and there are no bars in my neighborhood.

As to being concerned about "blinding people"... yeah, nah.
Yeah, no reason to worry about blinding anyone - until they can't see where they are going and run off the road or run over someone else. Errmmmmm. Whatever. I just hate bright lights at night. The stars are bright enough to navigate by, not that I do, but I don't need hundreds of lumens to ride safely.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to hear you make a point of aiming them correctly and shielding them. That really is key.
Old 08-28-18, 08:10 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Well, we've got light pollution. So it's about a 700 lumen minimum. I'd rather see the fist-sized chunk of asphalt lying in the road than worry if the light is too bright for an oncoming car. Besides, you get out to where the streetlights end, and every damn car has their highbeams on anyway. They certainly don't care who they blind.
Old 08-28-18, 10:01 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Since this turned into a "riding at night" topic, I enjoy riding at night, but only once I'm on the bike. I'm a NorCal weather wuss, but when the temps go into the 40s or lower, I have to really bundle up, and it takes quite a while to get warmed up. I can run hot, so I have to choose between starting off really cold and warming up or starting off ok, and heating up too much.

As far as lighting goes, I'm happy with my own lights, I also think it's easier to be seen at night (from behind or in front) than it is in bright sunshine, or dusk/dawn. I have some orange spoke lights I use for side visibility, but I still get nervous when I encounter cars at driveways or side streets. Also, people who think I'm blinding them can pound sand. All the cars these days use those crazy bright and piercing HID lights, which always blind me as a driver. Plus all the "tiny pen is man" super lifted trucks that shine light 5 feet off the ground at everyone... Sorry I'm aiming my light beam where I need it, and if that gets into your eyes, cry about it.
Old 08-28-18, 10:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by kbarch
When there is no ambient daylight, riding around with bright headlights is good for nothing but blinding people. It's certainly no substitute for daylight.
/rant.
My experience is not consistent with your theories.

-Tim-
Old 08-29-18, 03:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Daylight is increasing!! We're up to 11 hours now from a low of 9 hours back in June.
Old 08-29-18, 08:03 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My experience is not consistent with your theories.

-Tim-
Your experience is perfectly consistent, I'm sure, you just haven't had any problems with it. That's great, but saying that the limited illumination of even the brightest LEDs renders daylight irrelevant is preposterous.

Headlights are directional. Daylight is ambient. Focused lights will only illuminate things they are directed at, and when there is no ambient light, everything beyond or peripheral is only less visible than before - things which would have been apparent under nominal ambient light, like that from the moon. For people who don't have to look toward them, flood lights alleviate that problem, but like any light source, they still essentially blind people directly facing them to anything beyond their beam spread, and to anything within that angle that they don't silhouette, all more or less to the extent they exceed ambient and other reflected light levels.
Old 08-29-18, 08:25 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
/rant.
You are simply incorrect. I've logged about 30,000 miles in the dark. My club mates and I share the road with cars. They see us. We see them. And, no one is blinded by any of the lights.

A while back, I checked with a friend who's a meteorologist and with a friend who's a priest. Neither of them had any suggestions for getting the sun to rise at 5am to accommodate my schedule and those of my club mates. So, until we sort that out, we're going to keep using those headlights as a "substitute for daylight." ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.