Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding slower than your normal pace

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-18, 09:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
we find our own equilibrium. but on Monday, I had an interesting occurrence, heavy breathing. I don't know if I was eager to meet a goal, so was riding harder than normal, or if it was the excessive heat. it was a dirt trail so I can't judge my performance by the computer stats. by the end of the ride I had a mild case of laryngitis, which never really happens to me from a ride. maybe I was dehydrated?
Old 09-07-18, 09:32 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I am guilty of this. Not just of riding too hard on days when I should be recovering, but riding on days when I really, really shouldn't be riding at all. I probably have a significantly depressed heart rate on one ride per week.

I did a fairly brisk solo century on the first of the month, and on my "recovery" ride the following day, simply could not elevate my HR above 127bpm. I nevertheless keep staring at my speed, and pushing myself when I knew I shouldn't.

Group riding would probably help with this-- the local clubs are sloooooowwww. But they also have start times and regular routes, and I'd just rather not.

I really want to go get on the bike today (Friday is a non-riding day) and I literally have to talk myself out of it. Because I did an hour of threshold yesterday, am set for probably ~70 miles tomorrow, and need the day off.

So I totally get it.
@DrIsotope, I could have written your post.

I did a century Monday and could not get my heart rate up on Tuesday during a 30 mile fixed gear ride. Legs felt like lead and cadence kept falling off, bogging down. The flip/flop hub came in handy with a larger sprocket on the other side but it was clear that I was too ambitious the day after a big ride.

I want to get on the bike today as well but did 50 miles last night and am planning on attending a fast group ride tomorrow.

The idea about slower club rides is good. Going out with the slower groups early in the season used to be standard practice for some guys I ride with.

-Tim-
Old 09-07-18, 09:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
rest is good
Old 09-07-18, 09:56 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
I have noticed that it's hard for me to bring myself to ride slower than is my normal pace...
Same here. Most of my riding is on my work commute, where I'm often taking my place in motor traffic so I like to keep up the pace simply to better fit in. Then too, I often ride fixed gear, where slowing down means lugging the one and only gear at a low cadence... which can feel harder than spinning it up to a more efficient pace.
Old 09-07-18, 09:58 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
As an experiment .... i have read all the posts here and am not going to bicker with any posters.

If the world ends tonight, you will know I should have bickered.
Old 09-07-18, 10:02 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The depressed HR is a real bear, especially when you get to any sort of incline. The low HR makes clearing waste from the muscles really difficult, so after even just a few minutes of climbing, my legs feel like sandbags.

For most of 2016, I was riding 7 days a week, with an occasional day off, usually due to scheduling. In 2017 I consciously dropped to 6 days a week, not riding on Tuesdays, and was really good about it-- I only rode on 7 Tuesdays.

This year, I'm trying to ride only 5 days a week, not riding on Mondays and Fridays. And it really, really helps. I had a perfect August-- 22 rides in 31 days, did not ride on every off day. Did 11 rides over 100km and ended the month with 1,065 miles.

It took me almost 4 years, but I now recognize that the recovery can be as important as the riding, physically and mentally.
Old 09-07-18, 10:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
At 70 my usual pace is slower , but I just stay within town, now, anyhow..

@ 50 I spent most of a year, 9 months on a bike tour , not hurrying, thru Ireland, & Scotland.
Old 09-07-18, 10:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
The minute I feel an urge to buy a heart monitor or measure my cadence is the time I will quit biking. I do this instead of other fitness activities because it's fun to ride fast when I feel like it, which is most of the time, and fun to ride slow if I want to savor something. If I need recovery time, I just take a day off.

If I'm going to have to pay attention to monitors and schedules, I'm going to do it in an activity where I don't have to worry about getting hit by a car. The reason I chose biking is because I can have fun being spontaneous, and because it's fun, I do a lot more of it than I would do any other fitness activity.

OP--if someone who has never met you starts outlining the "right" training regimen for you, ignore them. They're just like someone telling you your shoe size without measuring your feet. If you're enjoying riding fast, don't worry about it--if you were overdoing it, it wouldn't be enjoyable.
Old 09-07-18, 10:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I slow down to smell the roses. I speed up to avoid smelling the roadkill.

For some reason, there was a day this summer when the entire town of Dracut MA smelled like a giant dog turd. Seriously, it smelled awful for about 5 miles. I decided to ride through it as fast as I could, but then found I was getting more disgusted by breathing hard. I just kept going fast though because I figured if I slowed, I'd still be breathing pretty hard but be immersed in the smell longer.

No idea what happened, I've ridden through there many times since, and no hint of that smell again.
Old 09-07-18, 10:43 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
I always ride slower than my normal pace...
Old 09-07-18, 11:00 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I too ride almost exclusively solo. I can only "slow down" if I am with someone who rides naturally slower than me and I end up surging ahead and than crawling. My "high" pace only becomes a problem on unfamiliar or less frequently taken routes that are > maybe 60 miles. It becomes unsustainable but let I still drift up putting unneeded stress when I shouldn't have too. In the past I had an app that would announce the time of every previous mile and I would force myself to slow down to a soft target. Can't say it helped because I didn't know of an actual target to plan for. The problem for me is there are no physical/mental triggers that gradually come into play, they seem to come suddenly after a 10 minute break at the 75 mile point for example and by then it is too late. I don't have an answer but as time goes on and I ride more and longer, I am getting better at long day pacing and getting better at just riding longer in general but I still fail occasionally on very hot or when I underestimate the impact of the roughness of a gravel road.

Last edited by u235; 09-07-18 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 11:51 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
OP, I use the "one gear lower" method to try and conserve some energy. Whatever gear you think is ok just shift down and spin a little more. I needed to do that on a particularly windy day riding up the Hudson Greenway MUP, for example. Also, if you see anyone pass you, then let them go. You ride your ride and they can ride their ride. Actually, I ended up catching the guy that passed me on the MUP later on after crossing the GWB. So maybe he was burning too many matches for that ride and needed to do the same. This technique let me leave some in the tank especially on the return trip home so I have enough energy to play with my 5 year old kid later on. I also take the weekend off. So those are my rest days.
Old 09-07-18, 12:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Some very good posts in this thread but also lots of knee-jerk posts. Some are clearly responding to posts they have not fully read.

No one is telling the OP how to train, or that he has to train at all. That wasn't said by anyone.

The OP asked for reasons why someone would ride slow. Athletic training is one such reason. The entire point of bringing up heart rate monitors was that it helps an athlete see when they are riding with too much intensity for their training plan. If a rider is not training then this is a moot point but that doesn't diminish the validity of the reason. Athletic training is a valid reason for riding slow - recovery rides and base miles.

Its fine if someone doesn't want a GPS or heart rate monitor but owning a heart rate monitor doesn't preclude anyone who does from going slow, being spontaneous or having fun.

-Tim-
Old 09-07-18, 12:26 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
I think it's a sweet-spot cadence thing - spinning the pedals without enough resistance (i.e., slower than normal pace) feels like MORE work (and wasted work) than going up a gear, riding a bit a faster, yet with more resistance.

One of my main rides only has 6 speeds and that's the sense I get when stuck at a pace between two gears.
I agree. To me it just feels silly to go slow but keep spinning your feet around when you can go up into a higher gear and get a bit more speed.
Old 09-07-18, 01:07 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The hardest rides I do, psychologically, are the recovery rides where I am supposed to ride at an easy pace.
Old 09-07-18, 01:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The hardest rides I do, psychologically, are the recovery rides where I am supposed to ride at an easy pace.
Exactly.
Old 09-07-18, 01:21 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Maybe I'm different but I never consider riding to be "training"
Old 09-07-18, 02:13 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Active recovery
I am a big proponent of active recovery. I no longer have issue with being passed on a recovery day and definitely don't like working up a sweat on the ride in to work. Getting passed on a hard day, well that is another story.
Old 09-07-18, 02:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Some very good posts in this thread but also lots of knee-jerk posts. Some are clearly responding to posts they have not fully read.

No one is telling the OP how to train, or that he has to train at all. That wasn't said by anyone.

The OP asked for reasons why someone would ride slow. Athletic training is one such reason. The entire point of bringing up heart rate monitors was that it helps an athlete see when they are riding with too much intensity for their training plan. If a rider is not training then this is a moot point but that doesn't diminish the validity of the reason. Athletic training is a valid reason for riding slow - recovery rides and base miles.

Its fine if someone doesn't want a GPS or heart rate monitor but owning a heart rate monitor doesn't preclude anyone who does from going slow, being spontaneous or having fun.

-Tim-
You really need to look at how you express things before you accuse people of knee-jerk reacting to what wasn't written:

"Most people ride too long and too hard on recovery rides. Most people ride zone 1 and low zone 2 aerobic base miles too hard as well, or they ride zone 3 and think they are doing aerobic base miles.
This is one of the beauties of a heart rate monitor and correctly calculated heart rate zones. It helps with focus and discipline."

If you weren't intending to imply that there is a particular "right" and "focused and disciplined" way of doing things, you really shouldn't start with two statements about how "most people" are doing it wrong.

Hey, if knowing a bunch of data works for you, fine, but I really don't think you're being honest with yourself about how strongly you implied it was necessary to do things "right".
Old 09-07-18, 03:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You really need to look at how you express things before you accuse people of knee-jerk reacting to what wasn't written:

"Most people ride too long and too hard on recovery rides. Most people ride zone 1 and low zone 2 aerobic base miles too hard as well, or they ride zone 3 and think they are doing aerobic base miles.
This is one of the beauties of a heart rate monitor and correctly calculated heart rate zones. It helps with focus and discipline."

If you weren't intending to imply that there is a particular "right" and "focused and disciplined" way of doing things, you really shouldn't start with two statements about how "most people" are doing it wrong.

Hey, if knowing a bunch of data works for you, fine, but I really don't think you're being honest with yourself about how strongly you implied it was necessary to do things "right".

I did not imply there was a right way of doing things. I stated that there is a right way to train.

My concern is training specifically and exclusively.

There are surely incorrect ways to train and going too hard on recovery days or during base training are mistakes many make. It is not possible to understate how slow and boring a recovery ride or a base miles can be. Most simply go too hard and call it recovery because its Monday or base because it happens to be early spring.

To the OP's question of why, recovery and base miles remain valid reasons to ride slow. That hasn't changed.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-07-18 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 03:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
There is no one right way to train, either. if there were .... we wouldn't have trainers. One trainer would make a video explaining every aspect of the "right" way to train, and everyone would buy it. End of story.

A lot of posters (but never Me, of course ) fall into the trap of thinking that what they spent years learning, and works really well for that poster, are the best way to do things ... when likely they are only best for that poster ... and maybe, in some cases, aren't even the best, but the poster is satisfied with his/her results.

There might be "incorrect" ways to train ... depends on the definition, but I'd say any sort of training that made you generally unfit to practice the sport for which you are training----generally unfit as in unable to compete, as opposed to tired the day after a hard session---could be called "incorrect" training ... but beyond that there are all kinds of ways and all kinds of goals/ Whatever you do and think you do really well, someone does better ... and someone else does worse. And even more people do Differently.

Abslutes are wonderful rhetorical gambits but don't hold up well under scrutiny.
Old 09-07-18, 03:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
I did not imply there was a right way of doing things. I stated that there is a right way to train.

My concern is training specifically and exclusively.

There are surely incorrect ways to train and going too hard on recovery days or during base training are mistakes many make. It is not possible to understate how slow and boring a recovery ride or a base miles can be. Most simply go too hard and call it recovery because its Monday or base because it happens to be early spring.

To the OP's question of why, recovery and base miles remain valid reasons to ride slow. That hasn't changed.

-Tim-
The OP said nothing about base miles or training or asked about the right way to train; that is all YOU and YOUR kneejerk arguing about something which was not said or implied by the OP.
Old 09-07-18, 04:04 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
I have noticed that it's hard for me to bring myself to ride slower than is my normal pace (which, of course, varies due to road conditions)….

When commuting to work, I usually try to drop the tempo so as to not sweat too much, but after a short while I always find myself going for it again.

It's like "why ride slower, if riding a bit faster doesn't take a noticeable amount of energy more" - until you get to the point where the increase in energy spent becomes noticeable. The only times I do go slower than usual is if I'm not feeling well.

Is it the same with you?
I think that wanting to ride faster is a natural sucession after warming up (whether training or not on your commute).
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
How do you warm up?I had previously replied last year to this thread on the Road Cycling Forum, “Pre & post warm-up warmdown.I have tried to “quantify” my answer (distance and intensity):.
Originally Posted by boshk
How much if any do you do before and after a ride?

..A ride where you need to shower afterwards...
For me, that’s a ride of minimum of ten miles, and my commute is a minimum of14 miles.I only warm up, and then ride at cruising pace to the end.

When I first started a training schedule for a century, I noted at what mile I spontaneously realized I felt completely warmed up, i.e. I did not consciously look for it, and it usually occurred at about 6 miles. My basic riding routine is:
to ride at my RPE [Relative Perceived Exertion] of 50% for six miles to warm up, then cruise at an RPE of 60%, and do intervals (on hills) at 70%.
So for me, riding slow is riding less than 50% of my RPE (my usual happy-go-lucky pace without thinking about it)…[and]
Any other old timers enjoy riding slow? ...as a cycle commuter, with limited time to train for longer rides, I can't just meander.
Furthermore, as a cycle-commuter,
For the first few years when I started commuting to work, I would dream that I had to be there for a critical procedure the first thing in the morning, and I was too far away to get there on time.

Much like that paradigmatic dream of going for a final exam, and can’t find the room / didn’t attend the class.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-07-18 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 04:25 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Coaches in VeloNews podcasts have pointed out that high intensity training like intervals should be much harder than most athletes make them. Similarly, recovery rides should be much easier. I'm with the OP though. It's fricken hard to spin along at 14.8 mph and see any point to it. However, the physiological benefits to recovery rides are well documented and the drawbacks to not doing real recovery are equally well documented.

One tip I have for recovery rides: wear something less roadie. For example, I throw on Wayfarers, baggy shorts and a t-shirt if I'm doing a recovery ride. It's a subtle reminder that it's not supposed to be a hard ride.
Old 09-07-18, 04:35 PM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only time I have trouble with pacing is climbing while mountain biking. I really have to keep telling myself it's okay to climb slowly. I've ruined rides by pushing too hard on a climb and feeling like crap for the rest of the ride.

Last edited by Pendergast; 09-07-18 at 05:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.