Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Quality Gravel Tire for high and low pressure excursions

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 11:02 PM
hoovbikes

Bikes: 2017 GT Grade Carbon Sram Force, 2014 Globe Roll 8 (w riser bars), 2015 All City Space Horse (cantilever)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy folks, I'm building myself up a new gravel bike and am trying to decide on tires. On my current bike I've got tubeless Clement Strada USH's wrapped around Stan's Radler wheels and they've been fantastic- able to run both stiff pressures when on the road and lower pressures when off. I've been a little confused tho bc Clement recommends 40-60psi for these and yet I've had no qualms regularly running them at 80 when I'm on tarmac. Is it typical for many gravel tire companies to downplay the psi recommendation when in actuality they can be run much higher? I kinda had my heart set on some Panaracer Gravel King SK's since they're such a hot ticket right now, but then I read they too have a recommended max of 60 when tubeless. Anybody out there who owns any care to weigh in?

Also looking at a few other familiar names in this category ie Ritchey Alpine JB, Schwalbe G-One Allround if anyone thinks any of these or any others not mentioned are best suited for duel high/low pressure performance. Thanks!
Old 09-24-18, 11:40 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
WTB Byway
Old 09-25-18, 02:52 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
there is a new tire coming to the market from Maxxis which would play closer to Gravelking slicks, G'one, and Compass. yeah Maxxis already has Refuse, but they are going lighter with the "Maxxis 700x40 Velocita AR all-road gravel bike tire"

Why would you run Strada USH at 80 PSI? why run any tire at super high PSI?
Old 09-25-18, 08:04 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
The PSI recommendation is because the bead on tubeless tires does not have the same support from the tube/tire interface and as the pressure gets higher the bead is more likely to blow off. There needs to be a large enough margin of error to keep the bead in place during very hard riding in different temperature conditions as well as variance in rim BSD and bead shelf. I'd never run a tubeless tire above the recommendation from the manufacturer. I have enough faith that at the very least they're capable of doing the math to figure out a good theoretical safety point if not actually pulling and testing tires from production.

There's no reason to have such vast swings in pressure, you're not gaining anything other than unnecessarily stressing the tire, rim and spokes.