Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you find your motivation to ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-18, 01:40 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts

I haven't been on my bike, outside (regularly) since July of this year. I have logged less than 100 miles even in the months before that. A bevy of health issues and a couple of close calls with cars over the previous year led to a lot of it, but realize that deep down it's just an excuse. I purchased an indoor trainer back in late Sept. as an attempt to get myself kick started back into a level of health that would lead to my ability to actually ride out of my neighborhood. I have spent a total of 1.5 hours on it in three different sessions and haven't touched it other than to move it out of my way since Oct. There are two beautiful bikes of my own in the garage with zero mechanical problems. One of the two is a really decent (mid/high) end Roubaix that I am of a weight I am hesitant to get on due to it's stated restriction. I have a commuter style GT that would have no issue with it.

Even when I was riding earlier in this year and later last year it was mostly with a group of friends to go somewhere an eat/have a drink. The health benefit was probably better than doing nothing, but the caloric intake was offsetting it to less than zero for sure. That group has 'dissolved' due to work and life obligations and we simply don't have the time to get together any more.

My health is getting progressively worse. I recognize it's from a lack of activity. I gain weight, my blood pressure and heart rate are increasing. I see the need to do something and lack the simple motivation to use the tools I already own to do anything about it. Riding a bike is the most painless thing I can do, with the most benefit to me in regards to my amputation/prosthesis. As if the fact that my sedentary lifestyle is killing me isn't enough I just simply cannot get myself on the bike, on the road or trainer to do anything about it. I happily sit here on the computer/gaming/tv-ing getting fatter.

What methods have you used to kick start your interest in cycling?

Last edited by Juan Foote; 11-27-18 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-27-18, 02:06 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
My health is getting progressively worse. I recognize it's from a lack of activity. I gain weight, my blood pressure and heart rate are increasing. I
I don't know the details on the health reasons that made you stop, that would have been my motivation to get going. I can't say I'm the most proactive regarding health, but when I have objective data showing me things are going the wrong way, I tend to straighten up pretty quick.

Beyond that, motivation is personal. Beer after work at the brewery on the end of the rail trail while letting traffic clear out for the commute home is a big one
Old 11-27-18, 02:06 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
getting something new for the bike or a new article of clothing sometimes helps me. this is a tuff time of year, lots of projects around the house, stray cold, holidays, shorter days, blah, blah, blah easy to find reasons not to ride for sure. the other day I swapped tires & fantasized about getting a ride in. didn't happen but at least the tires are ready. dunno, my friend, motivation is very personal. good luck, we all need it
Old 11-27-18, 02:08 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,532 Times in 7,328 Posts
I always find it in the last place I look.

When it comes to touring, the thought of experiencing something like this motivates me.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-27-18 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-27-18, 02:17 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I always find it in the last place I look.

When it comes to touring, the thought of experiencing something like this motivates me.

I have been reading touring blogs on CGOAB again. I envy those that find the time and ability to do such but realize that 'on the road' camping isn't for me anymore, mostly via another activity I participate in.
Old 11-27-18, 02:26 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If I wasn't riding, my daily eating habits would have me north of 250lbs.
If I wasn't riding, my depression would inevitably get worse, and I'd fill that with food, until I was north of 300lbs.

So I get up and I ride. Almost every day. To the point where it's (almost) an obsession. Because I know that if I stop, I'll probably die.
Old 11-27-18, 02:31 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I too like DrIsotope need to ride for physical fitness and mental.

More to keep me from getting fattererer
Old 11-27-18, 02:43 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I say shake it up and buy a cheap mtb. Buy a used rigid hard tail 29er, they're cheap, reliable and great on single track.

The mtb is a pleasure to ride this time of year, miles and speed are irrelevant.

Somedays it takes me an hour to get ready, because I'm dragging my feet on purpose and I just don't want to go.

Good luck!
Old 11-27-18, 02:51 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If I wasn't riding, my daily eating habits would have me north of 250lbs.
If I wasn't riding, my depression would inevitably get worse, and I'd fill that with food, until I was north of 300lbs.

So I get up and I ride. Almost every day. To the point where it's (almost) an obsession. Because I know that if I stop, I'll probably die.
This is what gets me going. But what keeps me going is that riding a bicycle is fun!
Old 11-27-18, 02:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,532 Times in 7,328 Posts
I have been reading touring blogs on CGOAB again. I envy those that find the time and ability to do such.
At least five weeks of paid vacation helps with the time factor.
Old 11-27-18, 03:01 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
@Juan Foote All I can advise is what my spine surgeon told me after my life saving procedure four years ago on my way to six months of physical therapy. "If you don't lose all the weight and regain physical fitness the rest of your life is going to be miserable...and short. I will never disregard those words. They are my motivation to ride. I only ride outside in fair weather and never on the "road". Plenty of MUPs around here. The indoor recumbent is good for hours of exercise otherwise. My weight is trending downward and condition is trending upward.
Old 11-27-18, 03:05 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Switch things up abit and try new things to bring back the stimulation of riding.
Go join a weekly club ride.
Ride to work.
Ride with the crazy people in Critical Mass.
Etc.
I was part of a weekly club ride a few years ago. I ride at such a pace that even at the best of times it was hard to find a good group to be involved with. We actually created a C group that I was the leader of but found it hard to sustain due to those otherwise healthy people surpassing my ability and moving up to a group I cannot keep up with. After that I commonly found myself "starting" with a club ride and then coming in alone with everyone gone.

I work at home, so it's a pretty short ride, lol.

I had a lot of fun with Mass as well, but my worrisome nature and a really bad crash have kept me away. There is a LOT of crazy in that group.
Old 11-27-18, 03:10 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I need motivation, I turn off the bike computer, the phone, close all cycling related everything and drive to a trail I have never ridden. That brings why I ride back into perspective.
Old 11-27-18, 03:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
My calendar for cycling is a series of peaks and valleys due to family responsibilities, a cycling mentor program I help oversee, and weather.

January- nope, not gonna ride. stupid cold and snow. hit the trainer or a spin class a few times a week.
February- nope, not gonna ride. stupid cold and snow. hit the trainer or a spin class a few times a week.
March- gonna ride a bit, mostly in the 2nd half of the month since daylight is longer and a better chance of decent weather. Most evenings are taken up with kids activities.
April- outdoor riding starts in earnest as the mentoring program rides 3x/week and i ride 2 of those per week plus usually an extra ride by myself or with my kids. Most evenings are taken up with kids activities.
May- 2x/week with mentor program and 1x/week by myself or with kids. Longer rides due to longer daylight and warmer temps. Most evenings are taken up with kids activities.
June- 2x/week with mentor program and 1x/week by myself or with kids. Even longer rides due to longer daylight and warmer temps.
July- 2x/week with mentor program and 1x/week by myself or with kids. Even longer rides and culminates with RAGBRAI for a week straight of riding.
August- I will ride 1-2x/week on my own or with my kids.
September- I will ride 1-2x/week on my own or with my kids. Most evenings are taken up with kids activities.
October- I will ride 1-2x/week on my own or with my kids. Most evenings are taken up with kids activities.
November- I will ride a few times in the month, but its limited due to temps, kids activities, and darkness.
December- nope, not gonna ride. stupid cold and snow. hit the trainer or a spin class a few times a week.

I am essentially forced to cycle 2x/week for the mentorship program because I made a commitment to local youth. That helps push me- commitment to others.
Then I do a gravel race the 3rd weekend of October every year, so that helps motivate me to ride when I can in September and October.
Typically I will do some singletrack mountain bike riding from September - December too as I like doing that for 60-90min and its a fun change of pace over road/gravel riding.
I just signed up for a gravel race the last weekend of February with a bunch of climb, so that will force me to use the trainer and spin classes more than usual over the coming 3 months when I am usually the least active.

So I 'kick start' myself with a few milestones thru the year. Obligation to ride to work with kids and train for RAGBRAI, train for the October gravel race, and train for the upcoming February gravel race.

I have found that I operate best when I have obligations. If I dont have plans and dont commit to something in my mind, its a 50-50 chance I will do it and I get really down on myself for not doing whatever it was that I chose to skip.
With this said, I dont even come close to many here in terms of miles ridden per year as I am too busy with other obligations. I manage 1800-2500 miles per year over the last handful of years. Heh, perhaps I am not the best example of how to stay motivated!
Old 11-27-18, 03:18 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
One trick is to commute. If I want to go home for dinner, I have to bike 15 miles, and climb about 2000 ft.
Old 11-27-18, 03:50 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't been on my bike, outside (regularly) since July of this year. I have logged less than 100 miles even in the months before that. A bevy of health issues and a couple of close calls with cars over the previous year led to a lot of it, but realize that deep down it's just an excuse. I purchased an indoor trainer back in late Sept. as an attempt to get myself kick started back into a level of health that would lead to my ability to actually ride out of my neighborhood. I have spent a total of 1.5 hours on it in three different sessions and haven't touched it other than to move it out of my way since Oct. There are two beautiful bikes of my own in the garage with zero mechanical problems. One of the two is a really decent (mid/high) end Roubaix that I am of a weight I am hesitant to get on due to it's stated restriction. I have a commuter style GT that would have no issue with it.

Even when I was riding earlier in this year and later last year it was mostly with a group of friends to go somewhere an eat/have a drink. The health benefit was probably better than doing nothing, but the caloric intake was offsetting it to less than zero for sure. That group has 'dissolved' due to work and life obligations and we simply don't have the time to get together any more.

My health is getting progressively worse. I recognize it's from a lack of activity. I gain weight, my blood pressure and heart rate are increasing. I see the need to do something and lack the simple motivation to use the tools I already own to do anything about it. Riding a bike is the most painless thing I can do, with the most benefit to me in regards to my amputation/prosthesis. As if the fact that my sedentary lifestyle is killing me isn't enough I just simply cannot get myself on the bike, on the road or trainer to do anything about it. I happily sit here on the computer/gaming/tv-ing getting fatter.

I let life get in the way of cycling for a while, and I lost all my fitness. After that, it was really hard to get going. Like you, I stopped being able to hang with my usual group rides and so I just stopped cycling entirely. I gained weight, lost more fitness, and felt really bad about myself. I finally decided to start slow and not put any pressure on myself to hit any of my old benchmarks. I just went out every day on a 45min easy out/back that didn't have much traffic or any major climbs. I didn't even turn on my computer for several months. Eventually I was strong enough to attempt an extended climb. I started slowly building my mileage. In less than two years, I was back to my racing weight and my racing fitness (exact same FTP) from 10yrs ago. You can do it. Just start small, so it won't feel so daunting.
Old 11-27-18, 04:06 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
From what you say, it sounds more like you need a motivation to live than a motivation to ride. You recognize the unhealthy way you're living but can't seem to do anything about it, despite having opportunities to live better. That sounds like something you might need a therapist to help with.

It may be that biking isn't the right activity and you need to find something more enjoyable, but first you need some help just getting up and trying.
Old 11-27-18, 04:36 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
From what you say, it sounds more like you need a motivation to live than a motivation to ride. You recognize the unhealthy way you're living but can't seem to do anything about it, despite having opportunities to live better. That sounds like something you might need a therapist to help with.

It may be that biking isn't the right activity and you need to find something more enjoyable, but first you need some help just getting up and trying.
I am familiar with depression and don't feel that I am, well not in a clinical way. We had some pretty icky news and happenings over the past year that have sucked some of the fun out of life, no doubt. I do participate in other activities and have hobbies outside listed, just nothing that is particularly helping me lose weight or get fit.

I appreciate the concern though, thanks.
Old 11-27-18, 04:52 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
What might motivate you is maybe shedding the weight first. You probably know that losing weight is more about what you eat than what exercises you do. Maybe losing a few pounds might be motivation to incorporate exercise back into your routine to address the fitness side of things.
Old 11-27-18, 05:20 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How do I find my motivation you ask?

Right here: https://www.youtube.com/user/markenlei/videos
Old 11-27-18, 05:51 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
@Juan Foote What is CGOAB?

For me, last summer I set a goal of hitting a specific KM mark. Because I'm a competitive type, I made sure I was on my bike as much as possible. For me, that was motivating. What became less and less motivating as the summer went on is finding new routes to ride. Come August I was getting tired/bored of the same old same old. Looking on Garmin Connect for rides others had done helped, but many of them were variations of what I had done before.

Looking forward to 2019, I think that is motivating me is doing to travel/ride destinations to find new places to see/go.
Old 11-27-18, 07:11 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Crazy Guy On A Bike
Old 11-27-18, 07:42 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Whenever I need a little motivation I tell myself that today's ride will be a slow one and I'll take a route that I haven't taken before. I'll stop along the way, get a cup of coffee or a doughnut, maybe even walk my bike a little and do a bit of window shopping. It seems that whenever I stop to smell the roses and take my time it helps me realize why and how bicycling can be so much fun.
Old 11-27-18, 08:18 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I sign up for brevets. Exactly one SR series every year. Riding a 600k is easy and fun if you are in good shape. If you're not, it sucks. I rode a 1,200k this year too so that was even a little more motivation. I like to downhill ski in the winter which is so much better when you're in shape that it provides me with the motivation to stay fit over the winter too. I also like not being fat anymore, so there's that.
Old 11-27-18, 09:41 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I have been reading touring blogs on CGOAB again. I envy those that find the time and ability to do such but realize that 'on the road' camping isn't for me anymore, mostly via another activity I participate in.
Inside secret: you can enjoy touring while staying in the comfort of hotels

It need not be long periods of time either. Have a couple days or a weekend? Find somewhere close, ride there, ride home. I sometimes take the rail trail to a campground 20 miles away for an overnight trip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.