Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone here have insurance on their bike or bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 01:08 AM
jontg428

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was just wondering if anyone has insurance on their bike or bikes. I contacted State Farm whom I have car and home owners insurance with and they will cover my road bike and soon to be mountain bike with a direct replacement policy. I also see there are companies out there that specialize in bike insurance and may go with one of them. Any advice would be helpful, even more so if you have ever had to make a claim. Thank you for your input!
Old 01-28-19, 05:04 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I have insurance on my electric bike only but this is mainly to offset any civil liability in a crash.
Old 01-28-19, 06:29 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
I have my Domane SL9 insured with Markle mainly because I plan to travel with it a lot with it and it covers everything. Not cheap. Believe it was about $500.00 a year but, because I built the thing and "saved" a ton of money my feeble mind rationalizes I can insure it for a decade and still be even. At my age it's probably all I'll need.........
Old 01-28-19, 06:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
My H.O. insurance covers my bikes from at least theft. But as my agent told me, if you make a H.O. claim, make sure it's a big one because your premium is going to increase. When my LHT was stolen from inside my house I did not file a claim. Between the deductible and threat of increased premiums, the $1,200 to replace it made filing a claim not worth it.
Old 01-28-19, 07:19 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6955 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
I can easily afford to replace any of my bikes, so I don't feel a need for insurance.
Old 01-28-19, 08:02 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I can easily afford to replace any of my bikes, so I don't feel a need for insurance.
This.

Unless insurance is like $1 a month it's probably not worth it, even for a really expensive bike.

It's a cost benefit analysis.

Let's say it's $10 a month.

Yes. If your bike is stolen the month after you get the insurance it costs you $10 to replace it because you have spent 1 month's premium payment.

But if you are spending $10 a month that's $120 a year. If you have a $600 bike you have paid as much insurance as you paid for the bike after 5 years.

If you have a $2000 bike...sure...the $600 in premiums after 5 years is better than spending $2000 out of pocket on a new bike. You theoretically save $1400 IF and ONLY if your bike is stolen / destroyed.

What is the real risk of that? If there is a 1% chance your bike might get stolen in 5 years then you are spending $600 to protect you against something that has a 99% chance of not happening. Is that worth it to you? This is a personal question. To some people that helps them sleep better at night and feel safer so yeah...it's worth it. If that seems like a waste to you, it's not worth it. The purpose of all insurance is NOT to protect against your losses. It's to help you feel more secure TODAY. That is what you are buying, is peace of mind. No matter if it's bike insurance, car insurance, home owner's insurance, cancer insurance, or what. Insurance buys you peace of mind knowing that you aren't one problem away from financial hardship. (Health insurance is a different animal because you are guaranteed to use it)

So you have to figure out what the odds of a bike being stolen are and how much you are willing to spend to make you feel better about the possibility of loss.

Think about how you treat your bike too. If it's a $500 bike maybe you leave it chained to a fence post, thus increasing the risk of theft. If it's a $2000 bike I'll bet you don't do that often, store it inside your locked house, and are rarely more than arm's length from it.

Disclaimer...I have never sold a bike insurance policy. I have no idea what they cost. My numbers are all made up for illustration purposes. If you can insure a bike for $1 a month, go for it. If it's $10 I think it's a highly questionable price.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 01-28-19 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 08:23 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
+1. My two most expensive bikes have a retail value around $1300. I'd barely collect once a deductible was paid for, and the likely increase in premium would offset any savings.

I wouldn't even think about it until I bought a bike at least at the $5k mark. Even my motorcycle and toy Corvette are only insured for liability, both costing me well under that mark.
Old 01-28-19, 08:31 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Homeowner's insurance covers theft from my home which is my biggest concern.

I have every receipt from two custom builds - a high end Di2 gravel bike and custom fixed gear.

-Tim-
Old 01-28-19, 08:56 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have a Trek Emonda SL6 which I use as my daily commter bike aswell as longer fast rides

I live in Cambridge UK and we have high bike theft in our area .... I have taken out a Wiggle Elite bike insurance .... bike is valued at £5149.00 and it is now fully covered for:

Theft
Accidental Damage
Global Travel Cover
Active / Sports Cover
Transition Cover
Replacement Cycle Hire
Taxi Fare Reimbursement
Personal Accident
Public Liability
Emergency Private Medical & Dental Treatment
Emergency Physiotherapy
Free Legal Advice
£10 000 life insurance

I pay £35 a month for this, but I have peace of mind
Old 01-28-19, 09:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My H.O. insurance covers my bikes from at least theft. But as my agent told me, if you make a H.O. claim, make sure it's a big one because your premium is going to increase. When my LHT was stolen from inside my house I did not file a claim. Between the deductible and threat of increased premiums, the $1,200 to replace it made filing a claim not worth it.

You need better home owners insurance. Over the last 25 years, I've had 3 bicycles stolen in two incidences. I made claims for all 3 at replacement value and never saw my premiums increase. I do keep detailed records of what is on the bike and as many receipts as I can for the equipment on the bikes. Each time the claims went smoothly and I was given what I consider a very fair value for the bikes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-28-19, 03:31 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I don't see the need. My bikes total value in the house with wife and kids bikes are probably less than $4000 of that 1/2 is my "good" road bike. My homeowners insurance covers it from theft as other has stated. If its ever stolen or whatever I would make the claim on my homeowners without even thinking about it. BUT like others had said I could get a new bike without too big of a strain on the savings account so the insurance at 10-20 a month just for a bicycle seems unneeded. HOWEVER if I do ever get my "dream bike" I would be more willing. I would probably insure a 8-10K bike.
Old 01-28-19, 05:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I've had 12 bikes stolen.. seems to happen every 2 years. I just change insurance companies if they want to change the rates...

jk.. seriously, what's up with the multiple theft experiences.. what happened to live n'learn?
Old 01-29-19, 01:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
No i dont have specific insurance for my bikes. They are possessions and if stolen they will be covered.
Same as a wedding ring or my collection of 1000 cds!
Old 01-29-19, 03:45 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Homeowners insurance will usually cover property stolen from your home, and in many cases while you are away from home. But different types of personal property have varying limits. Jewelry, firearms, and bicycles have separate limits in most homeowner policies. You can usually add stated value coverage for items that exceed the base coverage, but it gets expensive fast.
Old 02-01-19, 01:58 AM
jontg428

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really good points made here. To give an idea of what I ride I have a 17' Cannondale CAAD12 which I recently put HED Belgium wheels on, total value around $3000. I just recently purchased a Santa Cruz 5010, value is $5600 (in US dollars.) I am tempted to get insurance not just for theft, but for accident damage, either by myself or if somebody crashes into me during a century ride, and of coarse theft. My main concern is that if something happens to either of them I will not be able to replace them for a long while. Keep the comments coming, they are super helpful!