Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which bike should I buy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which bike should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 02:51 PM
GastonGC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which bike should I buy?

Hello! I am new to this forum and excited to be here.

I am new to the bicycle world so please be aware that I have almost zero knowledge about the topic in general.

I need to buy a bike that allows me to ride in the road and also in not-so-nice places. It could be a perfectly flat road and then a bumpy dirt road the next minute.
My max budget is 700 USD and I would be buying online so I cannot visit a shop and try any bikes (I live in the Dominican Republic and I'll be buying online in the US).

I'd be using the bicycle about an hour every day and then, if possible, I'd love to do short trips with it (50/80 miles). I am in good shape and exercise often, in case that makes any difference.

I've been looking at different brands and there are so many different options that I truly have no idea of what I need.

If you have any tips on what I need or any exact models that might fit my needs I'd really appreciate it.
Old 01-27-19, 03:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
$700 is still considered a "starter" bike. You can drive yourself crazy, so i suggest staying with a major manufacturer.

Here's am example, the Trek FX3 for $670.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

It's a hybrid so you can drive it on smooth and rougher roads. It is not a mountain bike. It has flat handle bars and a relaxed comfortable fit. The frame and components will last a long time. If you decide you want to get a better bike down the road, it's worth keeping for riding around town and running errands.

Old 01-27-19, 03:28 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
Ditto on the hybrid. You can get a really nice one for $700 US. It gives you room for wider tires and the components will last a long time if taken care of. You could get away with the $400 to $500 range if you want to add a rear rack, bag, a good lock, a couple of tire levers and patch kit, and a spare tube or 2, water bottles and bottle cages, and a multi-tool. You would probably still be under the $700 and your bike would be a lot more versatile. Usually, the more you invest in the bike purchase, the better the bike frame and components. Certainly true with known brands, such as the Trek mentioned above. You can also check the sizing charts to give an idea of what size you need. Something that fits you well is critical.
Old 01-27-19, 03:37 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
The Cannondale equivalent of the Trek bike already linked to would be a Cannondale Quick. Probably a Quick 5, 6 or 7 would be within your budget and would meet your needs. The 5 and 7 seem to come with tires that are 35mm wide and more "general purpose", whereas the 6 comes with tires that are 32mm slicks. At that price range I wouldn't get too hung up on whether it features disk or rim brakes; look at the other specifics and let brakes be what comes.
Compare specs, and try riding them so you can select which feels best. I agree for your use case a hybrid can be a good choice.

Last edited by daoswald; 01-27-19 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 03:44 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I think a decent hybrid would make a lot of sense as well. The only thing you might run into is a lot of the better brand names will not let their dealers sell bikes mail-order. I think that is the case for both Trek and Cannondale as well a Giant. I hope I'm wrong but could be. Good luck in your search for the "Right Bike" . Is there a reason you can 't get to a bike shop to try-n-buy? There must be some local business near you.
Old 01-28-19, 12:24 PM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trek FX line (or similar bikes from other manufacturers) is a spot on recommendation.
- It can handle light off road (like dirt roads, not for mountain biking).
- It's easier to ride on road that a more mountain bike.
- Many new bikers find flat bars easier to use than "Drop bars" you see on road bikes (or cyclecross bikes).
- Speaking of, a cyclecross bike would also be an excellent choice, but it might be harder to find on in the price range (but not impossible).
- The FX has mounting points for racks and bags (for longer trips).
- The FX uses 700C wheels, which, while not 26", should be the 2nd easiest to find spare tubes/tires for.

My wife has a FX2, which has been really nice. Now, she's graduated onto a road bike, but the FX was and is a fantastic bike. Of course, Giant, Specialized, Fuji, etc... also have similar bikes. Also excellent choices.

I myself ride a bunch of different bikes. I have a hybrid for off road touring. It's the Trek DS 8.4. It's great, but I think I would have been better off with one of the FXs. (I wanted front suspension because I used to mountain bike.... you don't need it unless you are truly MOUNTAIN BIKING.) I also really like my road bikes now... (which is why I'd probably go for cycle cross at think point.)
Old 01-28-19, 12:33 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
$700 is still considered a "starter" bike. You can drive yourself crazy, so i suggest staying with a major manufacturer.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

It's a hybrid so you can drive it on smooth and rougher roads. It is not a mountain bike. It has flat handle bars and a relaxed comfortable fit. The frame and components will last a long time. If you decide you want to get a better bike down the road, it's worth keeping for riding around town and running errands.

[img]https://trek.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBicycleProducts/1327010_2018_A_1_FX_3?$responsive-pjpg$&wid=1200&hei=900
Good choice...I have a trek and it is perfect for the mostly smooth roads I ride on but good too for when I go off the paved road.
Old 01-28-19, 01:34 PM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2

This is what I ride! Mountain bike, it definitely ain't, but it's been good to me so far on roads and a little dirt. I appreciate the hybrid aspects of it a lot on some of the super crappy roads around here, even though part of me wishes I'd just gone with a road bike from the outset for the speed. It's a good jack-of-all-trades bike.
Old 01-28-19, 04:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Note You can order Trek bikes online * , but they still ship them to a Dealer , and you go there to pick it up.

* because they realize how much the younger generations are into their Phones..

but they rely on dealers to assemble them carefully , and then, being professionally assembled, they can warrantee them..
Old 01-28-19, 05:27 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
My husband has the disc brake version of the FX3. He loves it!
Old 01-30-19, 05:41 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll need to go to a bike shop to pick up any of the 'top' name brand bikes. Otherwise you're looking at bikes direct or performance bike for online orders. Fuji Traverse 1.3 looks like a good hybrid just under $700, There are a variety of sport/ adventure Motobecane hybrids around $400, or Gravity mountainbikes similarly priced. You'll want a hardtail which means shocks in front none in back or no shocks at all will probably be fine too even on dirt roads. 27.5 or 29er tires on mountain bikes are the new thing the past few years. I'm sure some would argue but nothing else is that important. You'll want to shift gears but doesn't matter if its 21 or 24 speed or any of that, disc brakes are fine but likely come standard on new bikes anyway. Hydrolic disc brake is better than cable disc brakes but I'm fine with old school v brakes. There are plenty of bike shops in DR to get Trek, Specialized, Giant etc too but have to go to the shop.

These 2 online retailers may not even ship out of US, you may need to find a distributor that operates in the DR idk.

Last edited by TheLibrarian; 01-30-19 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 10:02 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by GastonGC
If you have any tips on what I need or any exact models that might fit my needs I'd really appreciate it.
If you are asking advice you are looking for better than average. The most important single factor is how you fit on the bike. There is a subtle interplay of seat to handlebar distance, seat to handlebar height and seat to pedal distance that is much more important than slightly better components etc.

If you are just concerned about not making a stupid buying mistake, consider the kinds of surfaces you are likely to be riding on and check out the size tires other riders in your area are using. Copy that.