Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Baggy Shorts?

Old 02-07-19, 08:04 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Baggy Shorts?

I'm thinking of doing some bikepacking and it seems to me that baggy shorts would eliminate the need to bring separate bike specific riding apparel and something for around town/camp.

The only riding clothes I own are road specific - bib shorts and road jerseys. I'm ignorant of baggy MTB style shorts and so a few questions...

Worth getting in general given the use case - riding 40 to 50 miles/day and then camp with a few visits to towns?

Do they typically come with compression liners and padding built-in or does one typically have to purchase separate lining?

Snagging on the saddle and flapping in the wind? Given the popularity I assume this is a non issue.

Brand and model recommendation? I don't mind buying something nice and looked at Kitsbow but wow, I thought road stuff was expensive!

What else do I need to know?

-Tim-
Old 02-07-19, 08:40 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I'm partial to the Fox Attack and Attack Pro shorts while on my MTB and my gravel hybrid. The material of the outer shorts on the pro is stretchy and very comfortable. I normally watch for end of season sales and get them in the $80-$90 range.

Most MTB shorts come with padded liners but not all do. I hate riding without padded liners anymore. The chafing on even short rides is *ahem* irritating.
Old 02-07-19, 10:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Look at Timmy- ever the hard worker to look the part!

https://www.elevenpine.com
consider these. They convert from compression to slightly baggy to give you options for where you are and what you are doing.

I use Zoic shorts for MTB and really just wearing around on any random day as they are well made and comfortable. They come in different cuts and lengths too.

For a day long ride I would want a quality pad. Whether that means one that comes with the shorts or wearing separate pad shorts is up to you as pad shape and density is individual preference.

if you don't like the elevenpine shorts and want fully baggy, pretty much any quality brand will do well as long as it fits your body.
Zoic, Louis Garneau, Fox, etc are all good.

good luck and I hope you are able to find a way to still be stylish. Pair it with some overpriced cycling branded merino and you will be set.
Old 02-07-19, 11:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I have Pearl Izumi Canyon shorts. They're good.

But I don't usually wear the included padded liners on my hybrids. I usually wear the Aero Tech Pro shorts under the baggies. The tan and black pad is thinner and more comfortable to me.

I save those liner shorts for indoor trainer sessions on the road bike.
Old 02-08-19, 12:02 AM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I've purchased several different things (including a pair of baggy casual riding shorts) from Ground Effect in New Zealand and have never been disappointed.
Old 02-08-19, 06:52 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Look at Timmy- ever the hard worker to look the part!

https://www.elevenpine.com

consider these. They convert from compression to slightly baggy to give you options for where you are and what you are doing.

I use Zoic shorts for MTB and really just wearing around on any random day as they are well made and comfortable. They come in different cuts and lengths too.

For a day long ride I would want a quality pad. Whether that means one that comes with the shorts or wearing separate pad shorts is up to you as pad shape and density is individual preference.

if you don't like the elevenpine shorts and want fully baggy, pretty much any quality brand will do well as long as it fits your body.

Zoic, Louis Garneau, Fox, etc are all good.

good luck and I hope you are able to find a way to still be stylish. Pair it with some overpriced cycling branded merino and you will be set.

I like my Zoics as well. You can get them with/without compression shorts. I think any compression shorts will work. I have Zoics and another brand or two. To cut down space, I wash out a pair when I arrive at my nightly stop and have one for the next day, since it might not dry.. For the evening, I have one or two regular underwear. I only one, I will wash those out before I leave my nightly stop and hang on my bike for the day. Enjoy your tour.
Old 02-08-19, 08:55 AM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
I chose to go with a separate padded liner in MTB shorts and yes they do catch on the saddle nose at times and flap around while riding at least mine did.
Old 02-08-19, 09:12 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
These days, I chafe about the same in cycling shorts vs. regular unpadded non-cycling shorts. Just in different places, so alternating between the two works well for me, YMMV.
Old 02-08-19, 09:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Men's Zoic Ether Cycling Shorts, unlined, cuz I prefer my trishorts. I normally buy size 38" waist pants but for these I like XXL due to my riding position & slight belly. the waist is elastic but also adjustable

these are my 2nd pair. I got the first pair at REI & removed the liner that came with them. used them for years, they are great around a campsite. they dry very quickly
Old 02-08-19, 09:22 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The only baggy shorts I've ever liked at all were the above-mentioned Zoic. Unlined (separate liner I guess is more accurate,) so you can wear whatever you want underneath.

No matter what anyone says, if you're used to shorts/bibs, you will get hung up on the nose of the saddle quite a bit. And there will be flapping.
Old 02-08-19, 10:03 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I find the aesthetic of baggy pants for bikepacking to be as fashion oriented as the use of lycra is for road riding.

If I am just tooling around I will wear anything but if I am riding long distance or multiple days and worried about weight/bulk of gear I tend to stick with the following system (for bottoms only)

2x padded bike undershorts or 1 bib/1shorts
1x nylon athletic shorts for being in public. Small, light, easy to take on off without removing shoes
1x lycra tights or knee warmers (depends on season). For colder weather/mornings
1x wind/water resistant shell pants
1x micro fleece tights. For sleeping in or sudden cold weather

Sounds like a lot but it packs down small and by manipulating that combo I can ride for many days. Two shorts allow you to wash one, wear one each day for proper hygiene.
Old 02-08-19, 10:11 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by DanBell
I've purchased several different things (including a pair of baggy casual riding shorts) from Ground Effect in New Zealand and have never been disappointed.
These look nice. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
If I am just tooling around I will wear anything but if I am riding long distance or multiple days and worried about weight/bulk of gear I tend to stick with the following system (for bottoms only)

2x padded bike undershorts or 1 bib/1shorts
1x nylon athletic shorts for being in public. Small, light, easy to take on off without removing shoes
1x lycra tights or knee warmers (depends on season). For colder weather/mornings
1x wind/water resistant shell pants
1x micro fleece tights. For sleeping in or sudden cold weather

Sounds like a lot but it packs down small and by manipulating that combo I can ride for many days. Two shorts allow you to wash one, wear one each day for proper hygiene.
I'm sort of working through all this now, what I want to pack. That's why I asked and I really appreciate your response.

-Tim-
Old 02-08-19, 07:54 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I usually wear lycra bibs, but I do sometimes wear Pearl Izumi Boardwalk shorts with the Versa liner (sold separately). They aren't as baggy as some and they look more like regular shorts.
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho.../p/191118035FF
Old 02-08-19, 08:10 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I too like the Zoic Ethers. I'm a little guy so I like that they offer a 9" inseam version. For the price they're great--so much cheaper than many boutiquey "gravel" shorts. I use separate Canari gel liners that I've landed on as working for me. I wish they were a tad more streamlined though, so my most recent fave shorts are Outdoor Research Voodoo 10" shorts. Not bike-specific, but super comfy on the bike--great stretch--and great for hiking, camping, casual, etc. Plenty of secured pockets. They're more streamlined a fit than the Ethers. The 10" length is spot on for me. The only downside is they don't have the elastic/waist adjustment of the Ethers, so they may require a belt.
Old 02-09-19, 02:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Clean skin, clean shorts. saddle sores less likely.. wear what you like..
Old 02-10-19, 06:26 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I like mtb shorts for the perfect flask-sized pocket on the leg.
Old 02-10-19, 07:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by shoota
this wins the thread!
Old 02-11-19, 07:14 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by shoota
In my life I have held my 4 1/2 year old daughter in my arms as she died and watched a wife of 17 years walk out, abandoning her children and leaving me to raise two little 7 and 11 year old girls by myself. There's more, but my point is that there is little you could ever do or say to upset me.

Even so, I've decided long ago not to expose myself to people who intentionally try to rob me of peace and so I'm going to add your screen name to my ignore list. To be clear, I will never again see anything you write.

I don't hate you or think you are a bad person. I do hope you live the life your avatar speaks of and that we see each other on the other side.

-Pax Tecum-

-Tim-
Old 02-11-19, 10:50 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
My heart just got ripped out
Old 02-11-19, 11:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Being able to laugh at yourself and the witty comments of others is a true joy.

The lack of a sense of humor is no way to go thru life.
Old 02-11-19, 12:17 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Were posts in here deleted? Did I miss something critical? Because it seems like a real dark turn was made, and I feel like some subtext is missing.
Old 02-11-19, 12:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Were posts in here deleted? Did I miss something critical? Because it seems like a real dark turn was made, and I feel like some subtext is missing.
https://www.bikeforums.net/20696409-post331.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/20696725-post332.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/20702316-post334.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/20720239-post344.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/20723781-post354.html
Old 02-12-19, 12:15 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
In my life I have held my 4 1/2 year old daughter in my arms as she died and watched a wife of 17 years walk out, abandoning her children and leaving me to raise two little 7 and 11 year old girls by myself. There's more, but my point is that there is little you could ever do or say to upset me.

Even so, I've decided long ago not to expose myself to people who intentionally try to rob me of peace and so I'm going to add your screen name to my ignore list. To be clear, I will never again see anything you write.

I don't hate you or think you are a bad person. I do hope you live the life your avatar speaks of and that we see each other on the other side.

-Pax Tecum-

-Tim-
It's too bad you won't see this response and apology. Had I known the reasons behind your comment I wouldn't have made light of them. So I'm sorry.

To defend myself a little bit here. The context of your quotes were made in regards to drinking and riding bikes. My cycling community regularly has "social" rides where people bring a drink for the halfway stop. And nothing bad ever happens.

Your comments about booze seem to pertain to not drinking at all anywhere in life. And that's a totally different thing.

Making light of someone who would immediately leave a group ride if someone else drank is totally different than making light of someone who has experienced tragedy. None of us knew this, and there's way we could have.

So I'm sorry, I wish I would have known the real story.
Old 02-22-19, 04:07 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Er... anyway. Back to the topic at hand, I have a few comments here:
- I've owned two pairs of Zoic Ethers, on both, ALL of the zippers ended up failing. They use very thin and cheap zippers. Also, I don't like the "dad's cargo shorts" look, but that's just me.
- Too many baggy shorts are super-long surf-short length enduro-bro style, have loud patterns/logos or have somewhat useless pockets all over them. Also, the prices charged are larcenous. I recommend going to REI and getting a nice pair of simple stretch-fabric hiking shorts and wearing a pair of bibs under them.
- If you really want cycling specific overshorts, I like the Chrome Natoma, which are ridiculously expensive but just about perfect.
Old 02-23-19, 12:10 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Er... anyway. Back to the topic at hand...
Yes. For the past 20+ years, I've ridden mostly in Spandex but a couple years ago I thought I'd try baggy shorts. For me, they definitely have their place. When I'm touring/camping, I like them because I don't like being in public with my junk highlighted in spandex. And at the end of the day, I can wear them as regular shorts without the padded inner. Also, the two pair I have have zippered pockets that are oriented to rest normally when my thigh is horizontal. They are a good place to carry flat things like a (thin) wallet.

Where I don't use them is actually mountain biking because, much to my disappointment, they do get hung up on the saddle through technical sections. I would never use them on a regular road bike because they will flap in the wind and cause drag. But when modesty and off the bike comfort are called for, they're perfect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.