Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I love the smell of urinal cake in the morning

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-19, 10:57 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

I didn't want to hijack another thread that seemed on the brink of going in this direction, so ...

What do you find are the most inhibitory aspects of bike touring (i.e., things that make you think twice about doing it), and what are your coping strategies?

(For me, it is insomnia. I seem incapable of getting a decent night's sleep, which gradually grinds me down over the course of a long trip.)
Old 03-07-19, 11:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Not being able to obtain wine every night. Cope by settling for beer.
Old 03-07-19, 11:58 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 87 Posts
My lousy knees. And alas, I have no coping strategies other than to curse my fates.
Old 03-07-19, 12:32 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not being able to obtain wine every night. Cope by settling for beer.
Carry a flask of whiskey, get beer at the end of the day or plan accordingly.
Old 03-07-19, 12:51 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Originally Posted by wgscott
I didn't want to hijack another thread that seemed on the brink of going in this direction, so ...

What do you find are the most inhibitory aspects of bike touring (i.e., things that make you think twice about doing it), and what are your coping strategies?

(For me, it is insomnia. I seem incapable of getting a decent night's sleep, which gradually grinds me down over the course of a long trip.)
I like to ride bikes, that is all that is needed. Bring/ buy enough food? Have a plan B/C for clothes and weather and carry a big cup of HTFU? Ride,rest, repeat. No sleep? Try a GOOD air mattress, tent and dry clothes? Or pedal all day and then do that. Coping? Hmmm. See above, I like to bike. Embrace the suck sometimes. Did a 5 day, 260 mile bikepack route this past summer. The Cross NH trail, up to kingdom trails in VT and back to Bethel ME to the start. So much rain, torrential rain. Like pickups throwing waves. So deep on a paved rd my sandals were going under the water on each pedal stroke. So much rain that, low on water I just tipped my head up to get some more. ( bonus) Two things carried me that day. Had a dry bag with a full set of clothes for the end of the day, and Mikes tiki bar at KT, 30 of VT's finest brews, can roll up to it on a bike, which I did. 2 guys bought me a beer while I tried to figure out where I was going to stay, no plan. No wifi for air bnb. Waitress piped up with the cottage, campground thing just over the next hill. ( after 72 miles) Best $75 I ever spent on a cottage, shower, bed, place to dry clothes, perfect. Walked to Next Trick brewing and closed the place. A sample, a brew and a fresh pretzel were only $7.50, nice.
Old 03-07-19, 01:02 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Leebo
Carry a flask of whiskey, get beer at the end of the day or plan accordingly.
It's mostly a problem when I tour in my home state of PA. Wine and liquor sales are, for the most part, controlled by the state. "State Stores," as they are called, are few and far between in "Pennsyltucky." The ones you do find in the hinterlands are often only a open a few days/week. Under a new law that went into effect a year or two ago, a grocery store can get a license to sell beer and wine. Such stores are also rare outside of larger communities. Takeout beer is usually much easier to get, but beer is heavy, and I am not a big beer drinker. Makes me bloated.
Old 03-07-19, 01:08 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
My boss this the biggest inhibitor. He seems to freak out every time I tell him i'm going on another trip. I keep telling myself that I'll be on my deathbed someday and I'll be pissed for remembering all the times I've placated my boss.
Old 03-07-19, 01:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
History of Dental care included ammonia from one's own Urine...

In Euro Commercial camp grounds I brought Ear Plugs , & SW radio .. & my Mandolin to sit in at pub sessions..

this pre IT takeover of planet..

down filled air mattress..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-07-19 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-07-19, 01:17 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I don't find many things more demoralizing than packing up camp in the wet. Just takes the wind out of the sails....and as a corollary, few things are more motivating than an approaching morning stormfront to have to frantically pack before the arrival of.

We've done Tour de Nebraska in the central/east/NE/SE area enough, and used the same city-park and camp sites enough that....well...we long-timers have memorized which ones have adjacent/nearby railroad tracks in use during the night. Those spots typically have loaded coal trains from Wyoming going through every half-an-hour, all night.
Old 03-07-19, 01:36 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Those spots typically have loaded coal trains from Wyoming going through every half-an-hour, all night.
BNSF Powder River Subdivision. Been there. Done that. Only further up the line in Edgemont, SD, at the end of the Mickelson Trail. And there are two grade crossings in town. One at the north end and another at the south end, closer to the municipal campground. Horns galore. And don't forget the empties moving back north/west.

Some will remember this from one of my nights on the GAP, as I have posted it several times. Turn up the volume to recreate the actual experience.

Old 03-07-19, 03:34 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I think my biggest thing is definitely headwind. It affects my mood sometimes when there's a lot of it. Coping? Yell and swear at it is all I've come up with so far. That coping method has seemed largely ineffective, unfortunately. I haven't found a way to make it stop yet. I did hitch-hike once when I'd been riding in a strong headwind all day. It had reduced my mileage and I wasn't to camp yet, it was dark, and still windy. I said "f*** it" and stuck out my thumb while I took a break. A nice guy in a pickup stopped, tossed my bike in the back of the truck, and gave me a ride since we were headed in the same direction.
Old 03-07-19, 03:40 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Headwind and rain. Either in small doses is cool. Enough of either can make me look for a motel.
Old 03-07-19, 03:46 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Skin cancer worries me enough to think twice about a long tour, especially in the hot wide open areas. On local rides, I try to avoid peak UV hours and ride in shady areas, and wear long-sleeves and other protective clothing, but touring could make this a lot harder.
Old 03-07-19, 03:56 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
I start missing my family after about 3 days. I did a 5 day solo tour as my first cyclotouring trip. Night 4 I'm a scant 75 miles from home (after a 110 mile day...). I almost called my wife to pick me up. The last day was a lovely ride, so I'm glad a stuck it out.
Cope: tour length is 4 days when I go! And do more of the S24O type riding.
I guess I'm like the wussy kid at summer camp.....
Old 03-07-19, 04:09 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Being away from friends and family. I only tour alone, and would probably never ride with someone else, but am noticeably isolated from the world except for brief interactions with people I happen to come across. And those interactions tend to be superficial and not fulfilling. That all changes if you meet some nice people along the way and spend some time together. For example, in Switzerland a couple years ago, I met a couple cyclists and we spent the day together riding to the finish line of a mountain stage of the TDF. At another place, I met several people camping at a site and hung out with them and the campground owners for several hours. On other trips, I’ve meet almost no one, and that’s OK, but it gets to me after a while. Always glad to return home.
Old 03-07-19, 04:15 PM
Leebo

Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's mostly a problem when I tour in my home state of PA. Wine and liquor sales are, for the most part, controlled by the state. "State Stores," as they are called, are few and far between in "Pennsyltucky." The ones you do find in the hinterlands are often only a open a few days/week. Under a new law that went into effect a year or two ago, a grocery store can get a license to sell beer and wine. Such stores are also rare outside of larger communities. Takeout beer is usually much easier to get, but beer is heavy, and I am not a big beer drinker. Makes me bloated.
Gottcha. 4 pack tall boy cans are not that heavy. Can find anywhere in MA, VT and NH, most of my shorter ride areas. And a 500 ml nalgene works well for the whiskey. I once( so sad) put cask strength bourbon in my alcohol stove to cook my breakfast.
Old 03-07-19, 07:29 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I have found that my 2-4 day mini tours are always solo as none of my friends and family are into cycling like I am and those that could potentially could accompany me aren’t available when I am. That being said a few sips of whisky or a few beers in front of the campfire help being alone feel less lonely. One time I had a few too many and I the next morning I realized how miserable, unproductive and counterintuitive it was.
Old 03-07-19, 08:10 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I don't find many things more demoralizing than packing up camp in the wet. Just takes the wind out of the sails....and as a corollary, few things are more motivating than an approaching morning stormfront to have to frantically pack before the arrival of.

We've done Tour de Nebraska in the central/east/NE/SE area enough, and used the same city-park and camp sites enough that....well...we long-timers have memorized which ones have adjacent/nearby railroad tracks in use during the night. Those spots typically have loaded coal trains from Wyoming going through every half-an-hour, all night.
Ravenna, NE on Hwy 2 (west of Grand Island) has a 24hr grocery for the Railroad workers and camping behind the Tractor Pull grandstands. Great town!
Old 03-07-19, 08:12 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Long climbs and strong headwinds. And rain...
Old 03-08-19, 06:58 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
I have to say, I can't imagine not being able to sleep properly after biking all day. Exercise, fresh air, sun, and plain old exhaustion means that unless there are specific loud noises going on during the night, I'm out like the proverbial light.
This is obviously your kryptonite, but after all that work during the day and not being in "work mode" and all that stuff in our lives, thats a drag you don't sleep. Proper sleep is right up with proper food, not enough and the candle starts getting shorter doesnt it?
Old 03-08-19, 07:40 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Not knowing if you are up for the ride always bothers me. When I was younger I was a lot more bolder. It doesn't help that I was away from touring for about 2 years due health issues and family issues.

The other thing is touring alone. Did it for the first time last year and I did fine though it was an easy trip. But touring alone and not being certain if you are up for the challenge sort of go hand in hand. I think that touring partners have the benefit of drawing confidence from one another.

It is also nice having someone to share experiences with. My touring partner has fallen of the face of the planet. All of our mutual acquaintances have not heard from him at all. But back when we would do weekend rides together we would often reminisce over a number of tours we did together. It was sort of fun.

As far as actually touring not much that bothers me. Rain maybe. But when you look back it really was not all that bad and sort of sticks out in your head. I remember a few times in Italy near Como. I swear that area is cursed for me.

Last edited by spinnaker; 03-08-19 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-08-19, 07:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by djb
I have to say, I can't imagine not being able to sleep properly after biking all day. Exercise, fresh air, sun, and plain old exhaustion means that unless there are specific loud noises going on during the night, I'm out like the proverbial light.
This is obviously your kryptonite, but after all that work during the day and not being in "work mode" and all that stuff in our lives, thats a drag you don't sleep. Proper sleep is right up with proper food, not enough and the candle starts getting shorter doesnt it?
I have this trouble when I am not on bike trips, too. It leads to stress, weight gain, high blood pressure, and all sorts of other bad things.

I was once awakened by the sound of cockroaches laying eggs on a paper bag.
Old 03-08-19, 10:58 PM
djb

We all know how lack of proper sleep screws up our brains. I wish you the best.
Old 03-08-19, 11:13 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Uhh... thanks.
Old 03-08-19, 11:18 PM
djb

Oops, that didn't come out right. That was supposed to be, if any of us don't get proper sleep, it affects us greatly. Especially when we are so active cycling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.