Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need to mod the gearing on wife's bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-19, 06:19 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

Mrs. Road Fan has had it with the 3x11 Athena triple gearset on her bike, and I have ahd it with endless re-adjustment. I've never before had a Campy set up that is so finnicky. The front is 52/39/30 Power Torque and the rear is 11-32. The rear works great, but the front has the funky shift pattern where it clicks 5 times to get to up to the big ring, and twice to go down to the granny ring. Once it has been set up to work correctly on the stand, it stops working right on the road. Once it's good on the road, it is different an hour later.

She does not need the range of the 52/39/30. I think we're going either to a Record Ultratorque 50/34 or a used Rene Herse 46/30 (with pinned chainwheel) for her. I have all the BB gear, cups and what not.

Where I'm not so clear is what left-hand Ergopower do I need, and what would be the best choice of Campagnolo CT shifter.

I also don't know if it makes much difference to use a 10 speed compact crank with an 11 speed chain. The chain is not old in the least, we have no need to change it except for length.

Any Campy guru's in the house?

Last edited by Road Fan; 05-17-19 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-18-19, 08:12 AM
fstshrk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I switched my wife's crank to a 42/30 MTB crank on her Roubaix. Maybe you can try a campy double shifter with an MTB crank. I got the FSA SLK 42/30 MTB crank with a new bottom bracket.

She is also running 11-32 and is quite happy with the gearing. It made it feasible for her to climb grades that would have been difficult before.
Old 05-18-19, 09:26 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Throw a friction shifter at it.