Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

gear indexing low-end vs mid to high-end components

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 05:23 PM
el forestero

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane AL 3, 2019 Giant Escape RX Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

I've only worked on 3 bikes, and all have low-end Shimano components. When indexing the gears, it's very hard to find the sweet spot of cable tension where shifting into nearly all of the gears works well. I'm not talking about the extreme gearing combinations like simultaneously running in the largest chain ring and the smallest cog on the cassette. These are problems I have with shifting into or out of cogs a step or two up from the highest or lowest positions on the cassette when on the middle of 3 chain rings.

I often doubt whether a sweet spot of cable tension exists at all with the low-end RDs, chains and cassettes on these bikes. An 1/8 of a turn of the barrel adjuster in one direction, and the chain shifts smoothly down from the 7th cog to the 6th, but the shift up from the 2nd to the 3rd or the 3rd to the 4th is noisy and sloppy. An 1/8 of a turn in the other direction, and the reverse of the above problems occurs. Then I start fiddling with less than 1/8 turns in either direction and am still not getting smooth shifting. It's a bit frustrating.

And these aren't old, dirty or poorly-maintained RDs, cassettes, chains or cables.

Are these kinds of problems characteristic of low-end components? If I pick up some Shimano 105 or better components will I likely have a very different experience?
Old 05-29-19, 06:06 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
The higher end components work better. I still file the cable housing square and burr free and use Jigwire insert type ferrules. I have had good luck with replacing the cable housing at the derailleur with compression less housing on low end parts. This has improved the shifting.
Likes For Rick:
Old 05-29-19, 06:09 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The higher end components work better. I still file the cable housing square and burr free and use Jigwire insert type ferrules. I have had good luck with replacing the cable housing at the derailleur with compression less housing on low end parts. This has improved the shifting.
+1. The problem might be more in the cables than in the other components.
Old 05-29-19, 06:15 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by el forestero
I've only worked on 3 bikes, and all have low-end Shimano components. When indexing the gears, it's very hard to find the sweet spot of cable tension where shifting into nearly all of the gears works well. I'm not talking about the extreme gearing combinations like simultaneously running in the largest chain ring and the smallest cog on the cassette. These are problems I have with shifting into or out of cogs a step or two up from the highest or lowest positions on the cassette when on the middle of 3 chain rings.

I often doubt whether a sweet spot of cable tension exists at all with the low-end RDs, chains and cassettes on these bikes. An 1/8 of a turn of the barrel adjuster in one direction, and the chain shifts smoothly down from the 7th cog to the 6th, but the shift up from the 2nd to the 3rd or the 3rd to the 4th is noisy and sloppy. An 1/8 of a turn in the other direction, and the reverse of the above problems occurs. Then I start fiddling with less than 1/8 turns in either direction and am still not getting smooth shifting. It's a bit frustrating.

And these aren't old, dirty or poorly-maintained RDs, cassettes, chains or cables.

Are these kinds of problems characteristic of low-end components? If I pick up some Shimano 105 or better components will I likely have a very different experience?
If by “low end “ components, you mean Tourney or the kind of derailer that you commonly find on HellMart bikes, yes, those are hard to adjust. The body of the derailer is too loose from the factory for the precision needed for index shifting. You can make them work but they seldom work very well. Acera, Sora, Claris, etc are all fairly well made and work much better.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-30-19, 06:37 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
+1. The problem might be more in the cables than in the other components.
It might also be that the derailleur hanger is misaligned.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 05-30-19, 09:48 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I've not had problems with my 8 speed RDER's shifting 9 speed cassettes.
Your problem still sounds like a cable that is "sticky".
Whenever I've had that same problem, cable cleaning & lube fixed it.
Old 05-30-19, 10:00 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Alternate cable routing at the RD anchor may help, as it will slightly alter the total actuation.

See mid-page:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/drivetrain-mixing.shtml
Old 05-30-19, 02:36 PM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
In my experience, I've always been impressed by how well the cheaper shimano components can work. I also feel that 7 and 8 speed indexing is more forgiving than 9, 10,11 speeds as far as adjustments. I don't know that I would automatically blame the rear derailleur until eliminating other possibilities. Many of the possibilities have been mentioned. Sometimes its good to start from the beginning. There are plenty of good videos that will show one how. I had similar symptoms with a 9 speed Deore derailleur(a much better quality mech) and adjusting the B screw fixed it.
Old 05-30-19, 05:15 PM
el forestero

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane AL 3, 2019 Giant Escape RX Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the input, folks! I'll give these ideas a try and see how it goes.
Old 05-30-19, 08:04 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
No name unramped freewheels don't help