Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Recommendation of a bike

Old 05-30-19, 06:57 PM
Naturegal77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommendation of a bike

Hello all. I am looking for a bicycle I am 315 lbs and 5'6". I was looking into Giant bicycles but am not sure if I am over the weight limit. My budget is under $500. What would you recommend?
Old 05-31-19, 11:14 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You're probably over the lawyer derived weight limit but don't sweat it, they're very conservative. What kind of bike are you looking at and where do you plan on riding it?
Old 05-31-19, 07:30 PM
Naturegal77

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm interested in a commuter or comfort bike. I will be riding around town.
Old 05-31-19, 07:58 PM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Try some bike shops in your area and see what they recommend - I've found that a shop with good service and support is more important than the brand of the bike - all the major brands make something that will fit your needs. I ended up on Trek because my local Trek store is fantastic and takes great care of me. If the other big bike shop in the area was as good, I'd probably be riding a Giant. BTW, I'm 365 (and shrinking) and have done just fine on a bike with a stated weight limit of 300. The weight limits are set by lawyers as mentioned above, the bikes are engineered to handle more.

If you stay with Giant, the Cypress would probably fit your needs well and be within your budget.
Old 06-04-19, 11:36 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
The only real weak point that I would be concerned about is the wheels, and specifically the rear hub... some less expensive bikes (not sure exactly what that means in 2019 sheckles) have a rear wheel with a 'freewheel' type rear hub, instead of the modern standard 'freehub' style. Freewheel hub bearings are not spaced to support the axle well, so bent or broken axles are not uncommon. Freehub style hubs have bearing out closer to the ends of the axle which prevents bending and breaking.

The good news is, even if you get a bike with a freewheel hub, and the axle fails after a few months or a season, the whole wheel can be easily replaced with a freehub type. Further good news is that even if the axle bends or breaks, you can continue riding the bike to safety - the bike usually doesn't become unridable when this happens.

Also, I would avoid bikes with suspension forks if you have the option. The ones included with less expensive bikes have little benefit, but add weight and rob some efficiency from your pedalling.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 06-04-19, 03:35 PM
fat2fit

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
Try some bike shops in your area and see what they recommend - I've found that a shop with good service and support is more important than the brand of the bike - all the major brands make something that will fit your needs. I ended up on Trek because my local Trek store is fantastic and takes great care of me. If the other big bike shop in the area was as good, I'd probably be riding a Giant. BTW, I'm 365 (and shrinking) and have done just fine on a bike with a stated weight limit of 300. The weight limits are set by lawyers as mentioned above, the bikes are engineered to handle more.

If you stay with Giant, the Cypress would probably fit your needs well and be within your budget.
This exactly. My Specialized Shop in town are ******** so I ended up with a Trek because the Trek dealer was so much better. You will be fine man, most importantly you will be riding and losing weight! I like the Dual Sport 2 (Trek) and I'm a heavier rider myself (250-270 depending on how many carbs I've had lol).
Likes For fat2fit: