Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adjusting MicroShift bar end shifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 07:07 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I have a pair of MicroShift bar end shifters. I understand that the front derailleur is friction only. Funny I never even noticed it was not.

The front shifter has a disc on the shifter with a + and - mark with hash marks between.

What is the purpose of those marks? Is it just to show which direction tightens or loosens the cable or is it a part of the adjustment.

The video with very low quaintly audio seems to say move the lever mid range before making that final adjustment but it does not say to actually move the derailleur. Do I cause the derailleur to shift too? Or just move the lever?

Old 06-12-19, 09:08 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
IIRC, that disc/screw is for adjusting the rotational tightness of the shifting lever. If its too loose, the cable tension can pull the lever back. Too tight and shifting becomes a chore. Ideally you want it tight enough to resist the pull of the cable, but loose enough for ease of shifting. It has nothing to do with adjusting the tension of the cable but you do want to actually shift and move the rear derailleur when adjusting.
Likes For coupster:
Old 06-12-19, 04:19 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by coupster
IIRC, that disc/screw is for adjusting the rotational tightness of the shifting lever. If its too loose, the cable tension can pull the lever back. Too tight and shifting becomes a chore. Ideally you want it tight enough to resist the pull of the cable, but loose enough for ease of shifting. It has nothing to do with adjusting the tension of the cable but you do want to actually shift and move the rear derailleur when adjusting.
OK I am guessing then that what he means in the video to switch to the center [position then loosen the screw. Wait for it to slip a bit then tighten a fraction of a turn.
Old 06-12-19, 04:54 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I admit I had not watched the video before responding. Its now a little bit more complicated (detailed) than when I last setup a set. To translate his video - snug the screw, adjust the indexed shifting action using the cable tension (as with any indexed system), shift the rear derailleur to the middle of the cassette, slowly loosen the screw until the lever starts to move back and then lightly resnug the screw. At least that's how I see it, I can't try it, the bike with the bar ends has moved on.
Old 06-12-19, 07:10 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Well at least I learned how to switch to friction mode from the video. Been meaning to do that one day. Good thing I learned before I needed it.