Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Will this work... ..cassette question?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-31-08, 08:40 PM
Trucker_JDub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am setting up a MTB for use on a trainer that should arrive in the morning. I am wanting to have a dedicated quick release rim for the trainer and another for the road. I am going to keep the one that came with the bike for the road; it uses an 8 speed Falcon IGS cassette. The one I want to use for the trainer (plan on using slicks with it) has a Shimano Hyperglide 7 speed cassette. The bike has a Deore mechanism.

I did a test fit to see what would happen. On the bench I was able to smoothly run threw all the gears except for when I was on the smallest in front and in back it rubbed my front shifting mechanism lightly. When I did the opposite and was on the biggest at each end the same thing but slightly worse happened. The middle front gear ran all of the cassette just fine.

Am I going to hurt any thing if I use this set up for a while considering I stay out of the gears that are rubbing during use? I'm a Clyde and can't really afford another quality rim right now, LBS says that I can't put an 8 speed cassette on the 7 speed rim.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.
Old 01-31-08, 09:53 PM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as it you're happy with the shifting, you shouldn't have any problems.

What shifters are you using?
Old 01-31-08, 10:02 PM
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
This should work, but I don't see the point of having two separate wheels for this.

Slicks are best for the trainer.

Slicks are best for the road.

If you were doing major off-roading on soft surfaces some other tire might be called for, but you message doesn't seem to suggest that this is the case.

Seems to me that you're spending a bunch of money and going to a lot o trouble for no benefit.

Sheldon "Slicks Rule On Hard Surfaces" Brown
Old 01-31-08, 10:31 PM
Trucker_JDub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcart1991
What shifters are you using?
I have the Shimano 8-Speed EZ FIRE Plus Shift/Brake Lever Set (V-BRAKE). And I'm not totally happy with the set up of the 7 speed rim but I don't have the money to replaced the rim right now.

Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
This should work, but I don't see the point of having two separate wheels for this.
Slicks are best for the trainer.
Slicks are best for the road.
I'm going to be using slicks all around but I have a more expensive set I will be using for the road. I am told that a trainer can chew the life out of a tire fairly quick and considering that the storm season just started I will be putting down a lot of my miles on the trainer for the next couple of months. Also I already have all the equipment I spoke of and a few like new (under 20mi on them probably) house brand (read: garbage) road tires laying around that I would rather chew up before my new Continentals.