Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

***It's about time for the Frigid Rigid Club Mtg

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

***It's about time for the Frigid Rigid Club Mtg

Old 11-19-08, 08:19 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I am all set except for tires. I just looked at some studded tires at the local shop, cheapest ones were 75 a pop. Wow! But I still will get a bit on my frigid ridged. IT a TREK 970. Last summer I put some BMX platforms on it, I really like them for causal riding, think they may be really good with my Sorels too.
Old 11-19-08, 08:38 AM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
I am all set except for tires. I just looked at some studded tires at the local shop, cheapest ones were 75 a pop. Wow! But I still will get a bit on my frigid ridged. IT a TREK 970. Last summer I put some BMX platforms on it, I really like them for causal riding, think they may be really good with my Sorels too.
Check here https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp
I'm runnig Schwalb Marathon Winter tires purchased last year from here and I like
them a lot. Not any price savings but at least there's a good variety.
Old 11-19-08, 08:41 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by knzn
Summer shot, but will take some winter shots later. Hasn't been too bad here yet.

You're right where I am right now! I'm down in Conway Springs for a few more days before heading back to Minnesota. I'm comfortable riding in the winter in MN, but I'd be scared to in KS! You guys get ice down there with tons of wind. How do you handle that? You'd think you'd be like an iceboat, just sailing across the winter wheat!
Old 11-19-08, 03:07 PM
knzn

Bikes: 1 comfort bike, a 1988-ish Rockhopper Comp that I like a lot, and 1 1973 sears 10 speed that needs restored or a new home.And now a Trek 1000.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
You're right where I am right now! I'm down in Conway Springs for a few more days before heading back to Minnesota. I'm comfortable riding in the winter in MN, but I'd be scared to in KS! You guys get ice down there with tons of wind. How do you handle that? You'd think you'd be like an iceboat, just sailing across the winter wheat!
Yes, lots of wind, but I would say mild compared to Minnesota! You better stay in Conway Springs! My riding it total recreation/fitness so when it is totally terrible, I can just stay inside, as much as I hate too. I would love to commute, but my job will not allow it.

FYI I am quite familiar with Conway Springs.

By the way, I love your squirrel!

Last edited by knzn; 11-19-08 at 03:08 PM. Reason: turibl speln
Old 11-20-08, 02:31 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by knzn
Yes, lots of wind, but I would say mild compared to Minnesota! You better stay in Conway Springs! My riding it total recreation/fitness so when it is totally terrible, I can just stay inside, as much as I hate too. I would love to commute, but my job will not allow it.

FYI I am quite familiar with Conway Springs.

By the way, I love your squirrel!
That's unexpected! It's got about 300 people in it.

I'll be glad to get home for the winter. It's getting to be barren down here. If I can't have greenery, give me snow. You should read the Pardeeville thread. It's filled with me being amazed at Kansas. Conway Springs has a combination Paint Store/Mortuary.
Old 11-20-08, 02:41 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Solveg, my "old rigid MTB" that I bought a couple of months ago is almost finished. Fenders and racks go on in a couple of days. I will try to get photos up this weekend...it has been a fun project.

bb
Old 11-20-08, 06:46 AM
knzn

Bikes: 1 comfort bike, a 1988-ish Rockhopper Comp that I like a lot, and 1 1973 sears 10 speed that needs restored or a new home.And now a Trek 1000.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should read the Pardeeville thread. It's filled with me being amazed at Kansas. Conway Springs has a combination Paint Store/Mortuary.
I got the first 10 pages read before work of your pardeeville thread. Very entertaining! I guess I should have been looking out for tornados all these years!
Old 11-20-08, 10:12 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Solveg, my "old rigid MTB" that I bought a couple of months ago is almost finished. Fenders and racks go on in a couple of days. I will try to get photos up this weekend...it has been a fun project.

bb
I'm excited to see it! I can't wait to get home and be able to wrench. I can really only do it in the winter, and I have my wheelset to finish!
Old 11-20-08, 04:30 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Took the "new" cross bike out on it's maiden (off road) voyage today. My first time riding off road. What a workout.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-21-08, 06:56 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Four days in a row on Ice and Snow. It's almost starting to feel normal again.
Keeping the speed below 12 mph makes the Self Generated Wind Chill (SGWC)
somewhat bearable. All mileage has been strictly commuting so far though I should
get some recreational riding in the near future and I'm hoping for a day without
our typical grey skies and some photo ops.

Happy Trails
Old 01-20-09, 12:42 PM
borgagain
Oldtimer

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh LTD, 1985 Cannondale SR300 (2), 1986 ROSS Eurotour, 1991 Giant Sedona MTB, 1992 Trek Antelope MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my new-to-me Giant Sedona in Winter dress. More pictures and the story of its tune up are on this page:

https://backroom.hardsdisk.net/giantsedona.html

Old 01-20-09, 01:47 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I've been riding a knobby tired MTB on snowy winter roads for years. But be SAFE out there boys.

Old 01-20-09, 04:54 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
This old thread has me wondering...where has solveg been hiding lately?
Old 01-21-09, 01:00 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Louis
This old thread has me wondering...where has solveg been hiding lately?
looks like she has only posted to BF twice since Dec 1st, both on 1/9 in the P&R forum.

Perhaps she's been sucked into some kind of Kansas twilight zone. Riding her bike around in some endless circle, not even sensing the passage of time.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-21-09, 05:28 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
We just have to work on getting him to inflate his tires....

Do you think that Bush left any jerseys with the Presidential seal behind? I suppose that now the Secret Service will need to get road bikes. At least they are in shape.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.