Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rear wheel won't work in the cold

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 10:28 AM
harishankar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought a second hand Giant Upland SE and to be frank, it is my first bike with multiple gears. The bike functioned normally for the first day or two. I could use all the gears. When the bike is stored indoors, the pedal and wheel work fine but once I take it out in the cold (anywhere from 0 to -30 degrees celsius), the pedals rotate freely and have no action on the wheel. Also I am not able use some gears on the rear wheel. Can anyone please help with an explanation and solution?
Old 12-08-16, 10:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Grease got Thicker when cold, is my Guess.. you can clean out grease & replace it with oil, then reverse it in the spring,

clean out oil, replace it with grease again.
Old 12-08-16, 10:44 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by harishankar
-30 degrees celsius)

You ride in that?
Old 12-08-16, 11:01 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
You ride in that?
Not as bad as it sounds. That's -22 f
Old 12-08-16, 11:06 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I know. And to me, that is exactly how bad it sounds. That's 54 degrees F below freezing.

I'm OK walking in the teens (F), but single digits and zero is uncomfortable for me. Just pulling that cold air into my chest makes my whole body tighten up like a rock.
Old 12-08-16, 11:15 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You guys bit on the troll bait!
Add in 10 mph wind chill factor and you are now down to -44 f
Old 12-08-16, 11:55 AM
harishankar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Yes, It is not that bad. Many people do where I live although for short commutes only
Old 12-08-16, 12:03 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Grease got Thicker when cold, is my Guess.. you can clean out grease & replace it with oil, then reverse it in the spring, clean out oil, replace it with grease again.

Grease in the freehub may also be dried up. At least from 0 to -10 C or thereabouts, my freehubs work fine as is. (I don't know what OP's bike has, but I suspect it's a freehub vs. freewheel.) Probably worth disassembling the wheel, cleaning it, and re-lube.
Old 12-08-16, 12:07 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Well at least Fietsbob gave an intelligent answer to the OP. I give that a +2. Cold weather can cause a lot of troubles on bikes. My typical problem is with quick shifters when the pawls get stuck. Changing to a lighter lube fixes that problem OK, and will do the same for your shifters and rear cluster.

-SP
Old 12-08-16, 12:11 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I recently bought a second hand Giant Upland SE and to be frank, it is my first bike with multiple gears. The bike functioned normally for the first day or two. I could use all the gears. When the bike is stored indoors, the pedal and wheel work fine but once I take it out in the cold (anywhere from 0 to -30 degrees celsius), the pedals rotate freely and have no action on the wheel. Also I am not able use some gears on the rear wheel. Can anyone please help with an explanation and solution?
Try some auto tranny fluid on the pawls for the rear hub.
Old 12-08-16, 12:19 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
My experience is that the grease in freehubs is unreliable in the cold after a couple seasons worth of freeze/thaw cycles. The best solution is to replace the freehub body with a new one, then you have a few years before the problem is likely to recur.
Old 12-08-16, 01:12 PM
harishankar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grease got Thicker when cold, is my Guess.. you can clean out grease & replace it with oil, then reverse it in the spring,

Can be this done by me or should I send it to the workshop? If doing what you have said requires that the rear hub is disassembled, I am pretty sure that I cannot do it on my own(as it requires special tools). Correct me if i am wrong please
Old 12-08-16, 01:14 PM
harishankar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
Well at least Fietsbob gave an intelligent answer to the OP. I give that a +2. Cold weather can cause a lot of troubles on bikes. My typical problem is with quick shifters when the pawls get stuck. Changing to a lighter lube fixes that problem OK, and will do the same for your shifters and rear cluster.

-SP
and changing to a lighter lube would require that the rear hub is disassembled, cleaned , lubricated and put back right?
Old 12-08-16, 02:15 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Thats the best way, but I'll bet others have their "secret" methods that could work for you if you arent handy enough for disassembly.

-SP
Old 12-08-16, 02:50 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedy25

-SP
Intelligent but not quite right.

Don't replace with regular grease, use a light oil or something rated for extreme temps...
Old 12-08-16, 03:01 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I think it is probably stuck pawls.

So... rather than replacing the grease... the answer should be NO GREASE in the pawls.

The answer is probably a new freehub or freewheel depending on the exact config that the OP has.

Bring the bike inside at night, and the freehub/freewheel should be loose when starting, and will probably continue to work while riding until left outside to freeze again.
Old 12-08-16, 03:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Can be this done by me or should I send it to the workshop? If doing what you have said requires that the rear hub is disassembled, I am pretty sure that I cannot do it on my own(as it requires special tools). Correct me if i am wrong please

You, who I know nothing about, answered your own question, then..

Take it to a Bike shop.

15th post mis read the post. Probably intentionally.. missed the word 'Spring' , thats the season after winter.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-08-16 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 03:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Removing a freewheel isn't a great amount of disassembly. It takes a specialized tool, but a good one to have in one's toolbox.

One might get away with soaking the old freewheel in a solvent, then light oil. Or just replace.

A freehub (cassette) takes a bit more work to deal with. Not a big deal, but perhaps something for a shop to work on.

See Sheldon Brown, Freewheel or Cassette?
Old 12-08-16, 04:10 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

15th post mis read the post. Probably intentionally.. missed the word 'Spring' , thats the season after winter.

I did miss it, just as you obviously missed my intentions...
Old 12-08-16, 04:11 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it is a freehub:Freehub Service | Park Tool

If a freewheel, you can apply a light lube to the space between the axel hob and the gear body.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson

Last edited by bhchdh; 12-10-16 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-09-16, 12:39 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Can anyone please help with an explanation and solution?
Yes the grease in your rear wheel hub is hardening up in the cold and preventing the drive pawls from engaging. Tipping hot water over the hub might get you going as a quick fix, once you are away though the cold might lock them out again. Definitely take it to a bike shop to have the grease thinned out, it's a tricky job for a total beginner and requires at least 2 special tools.

It's a cheap job but keep in mind what you paid for the bicycle in the first place You won't want to spend a lot of money time and time again if the bike is old and needs a lot of repair.
Old 12-09-16, 07:56 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Even storing indoors does not prevent the lube from becoming putty? Man, you must be in a cold place. I use Stens 00 grease in my Sturmey Archer (new) hub. This is a very light grease. I have not had any problems at temps down to -15 C.
Old 12-11-16, 01:09 PM
harishankar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed the issue with shifting and can use all gears now. Loose cable was the problem. But, the issue with cold still exists. I tried applying some de grease, letting it sit for a while and then some lube. Did not work. Although, a solution is it hand(dis assembling the whole rear wheel setup and removing grease), I do not have the required tools and expertise. Therefore, I will take to a shop and get it fixed.

PS: I live like 500 kms away from the arctic circle, and it gets pretty damn cold!
Old 12-20-16, 11:26 AM
harishankar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed the issue with shifting and can use all gears now. Loose cable was the problem. Removed the whole rear wheel assembly including the hub and thoroughly degreased it before applying new appropriate lubrication (sram grease). The cycle works great now ! Thank you all for your help!
Old 12-20-16, 11:54 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I've found that grease is completely unnecessary for any freehub or freewheel and that a light oil (Tri-Flow or similar) is more than adequate. I have a 7700-series Dura Ace hub with over 55,000 miles on it in daily use and still with the original freehub body that has never been lubed with anything but Tri-Flow. I have other freehubs with in excess of 30,000 miles also lubed with Tri-Flow that are still in excellent working condition.

Last year I did use Phil Grease, which is pretty light as grease goes, to lube an older Campy Chorus freehub body in an attempt to quiet it down. It was quiet but it also tended to drag while coasting or turning the pedals backward to position them at a stop causing slack in the top chain run. This was in very moderate temperatures (50ºF and above) so I can only imagine what it would have been like in really cold conditions. I cleaned the grease out and relubed with Tri-Flow. Problem solved.

Yes, I remember the Morningstar "Freehub Buddy" grease injector and was always leery of that approach.