Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Light cycling backpacks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Light cycling backpacks

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 05:37 PM
Rstyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Light cycling backpacks

Any experience, choices or suggestions.
Something small, light
Examples I would like to use it for:
1) go riding with my wife and take some snacks, small camera, bottle of wine,
stop somewhere and have a picnic
2) going to Vermont and ride between towns and be able to get off the bike and walk around with your pack with a bottle of water, small camera, your regular glasses, maybe a light rain jacket
3) ride to small towns ( this may happen in May in Italy!!) and be able to carry several maps, small camera, bottle of water, rain jacket, snacks, sunscreen
Etc
Small, light, comfortable .....so you can ride with it, get off the bike and walk around town with it
Old 12-20-16, 05:48 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Consider a Chrome Kadet ?
Nice size and comfortable to ride with.
Old 12-20-16, 05:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Light would be a draw string bag, where the drawstrings form the straps , when the top is Pulled closed..

a Grommet at each corner has a Knot in the draw string Through it..

simple to sew..

not up to DiY?

I've got a Logod Plastic bag from the Apple store like that ..
Old 12-20-16, 06:18 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.rei.com/product/809163/r...travel-daypack
Stowaway Day Pack | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
https://www.rei.com/product/892074/rei-flash-18-pack
https://www.rei.com/product/892204/rei-flash-22-pack
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson

Last edited by bhchdh; 12-20-16 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-20-16, 06:48 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have an Osprey Momentum 30 (they also have a smaller 20L version) but don't actually use it that much for cycling, especially longer rides. Nice backpack with good bike friendly features but my back gets too sweaty. YMMV, as I sweat A LOT.

Why not panniers? Ortlieb panniers come with shoulder straps and they also have a backpack accessory that you can hang the panniers onto.
Old 12-20-16, 07:28 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Panniers, definitely. There are some that can be worn as a backpack or carried by a strap as well.
Old 12-20-16, 08:30 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
Panniers, definitely. There are some that can be worn as a backpack or carried by a strap as well.
https://www.arkel-od.com/en/gt-18bp-...-backpack.html
https://www.arkel-od.com/en/bug-cummuting-bag.html
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 12-20-16, 09:15 PM
Rstyle

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thought about panniers but, except at home, it will be on rental bikes and not sure if they will fit plus thought daypack would be easier to walk around the towns and to stick in my bag or use even on the flights for iPad, snacks, earbuds, water etc.
Thanks for the responses!!
Old 12-21-16, 09:35 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Another vote for Osprey. Osprey is an amazing company with amazing bags from design to quality. They also have a bombproof warranty. The way the guy at the camping store I went to put it, is you could leave your Osprey bag too close to the fire and have it burn away, but as long as a piece of the strap or something was left they'd send you a new bag.

I have two of their bags, one is purely cycling specific. The Raptor 10. It's lightweight and small with a low profile. I wear it everytime I ride. The other one I have is the Manta36 which is a dual purpose hiking and cycling bag. I bring that when I may be on a rare biking date so I can bring some snacks and a picnic blanket and a beverage.

RAPTOR 10 - Osprey Packs Official Site

MANTA AG? 36 - Osprey Packs Official Site

They have other cycling specific models if you want a bigger bag as well like the Radial series which goes up to 34 liters. The Raptor does come as a Raptor 14 also. The number in the model is the volume of the bag in liters. The purely cycling specific models have an amazing Helmet retention system. Keeps the helmet nice and snug against the outside of the pack.

They are pricey but it's good for life.
Old 12-22-16, 05:21 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I don't have an Osprey cycling backpack, but I do have other Osprey bags that are first rate, and not cheap.

I don't generally ride with a backpack, but sometimes I carry a very light pack if I have more stuff than will fit in a front bag and a saddlebag.

Bottles of wine are too heavy. Try a little box of wine, or stop at a bar or cafe.
Old 12-22-16, 09:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I use a rack trunk & a separate sling type fanny pack worn diaginally across my chest which keeps my essentials with me when I leave the trunk on the bike
Old 12-22-16, 02:06 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Osprey Raptor 14. It's a great all-day hydration pack with a sizable but not too big main compartment. Also has an excellent tool pouch and good waist pockets. I love mine, I've used it for everything from hiking to endurance gravel racing.
Old 12-22-16, 02:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
I've got a small Camelback MULE pack. The bladder gave up a while ago (bought it used, so I didn't try a warranty claim).

Anyway, it is a good pack, and small. Enough for tools, spares, and a few other odds and ends. Models have changed a bit over time, but the MULE is still around.

https://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Prod.../dp/B00DGK1O3S

I also have a large Swiss Army convertible pack/suitcase/day pack. It is a full luggage pack that can be carried as a pack or luggage. Plus it comes with a detachable day pack. Good enough of a pack to take camping.

Victorinox Swiss Army wheeled backpacks

It is saying it is discontinued But a few are showing up for bargain prices on E-Bay.

If you like panniers, then perhaps a backpack/pannier.
13 Convertible Backpack Panniers That Can Be Strapped to Your Back or Bike - CyclingAbout

https://www.arkel-od.com/en/bug-cummuting-bag.html

If you get a good compatible rack, toss it on the rack. Otherwise carry it. Maybe 2, bags... to be carried on one bike, or split between 2 people.
Old 12-22-16, 07:27 PM
mattymurda

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this for everything from work, commuting via bike, days at the park, traveling by plane, etc.. and it's been great! Perfect size - lightweight, very water resistant, perfect size & number of pockets, and can fit a ton when stuffed fully.

Patagonia Black Hole? Pack 25L

Highly recommend. I've used Chrome bags & Timbuk2 in the past but definitely prefer this size and design.
Old 12-25-16, 10:24 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Check www Timbuk2.com. Cycling specific bags, guaranteed for life and major sale right now.
Old 12-26-16, 08:43 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
Another vote for Osprey. Osprey is an amazing company with amazing bags from design to quality. They also have a bombproof warranty. The way the guy at the camping store I went to put it, is you could leave your Osprey bag too close to the fire and have it burn away, but as long as a piece of the strap or something was left they'd send you a new bag.

I have two of their bags, one is purely cycling specific. The Raptor 10. It's lightweight and small with a low profile. I wear it everytime I ride. The other one I have is the Manta36 which is a dual purpose hiking and cycling bag. I bring that when I may be on a rare biking date so I can bring some snacks and a picnic blanket and a beverage.

RAPTOR 10 - Osprey Packs Official Site

MANTA AG? 36 - Osprey Packs Official Site

They have other cycling specific models if you want a bigger bag as well like the Radial series which goes up to 34 liters. The Raptor does come as a Raptor 14 also. The number in the model is the volume of the bag in liters. The purely cycling specific models have an amazing Helmet retention system. Keeps the helmet nice and snug against the outside of the pack.

They are pricey but it's good for life.
+ 3 for Osprey. I know people who still own Osprey packs and Osprey luggage they got back in the 80s.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.