Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Had my first fall today if you call it that

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-17, 02:31 PM
edawg55

Bikes: Raleigh Merit 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My first experience with clipless pedals today wasn't so great. I stopped at a light post to lean on it with my right arm to save me from getting out of the clipless pedals. Well I ended up falling down to my left. haha I got up really quick and played it off. I've separated both of my shoulders playing sports so luckily the bike and I are fine. That would be hard to explain if something happened. I need to loosen up the tension for next time.
Old 03-18-17, 02:36 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
That sucks - glad you and your raleigh are ok!
Old 03-18-17, 02:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by edawg55
My first experience with clipless pedals today wasn't so great. I stopped at a light post to lean on it with my right arm to save me from getting out of the clipless pedals. Well I ended up falling down to my left. haha.....
Falling when stopped is a rite of passage with clipless pedals, so hopefully you now have this behind you.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-18-17, 03:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Next time, unclip and put your foot down. Much safer.
Old 03-18-17, 03:49 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Platform man here but I have still fallen. Man is it embarrassing. Especially at 60.
Old 03-18-17, 03:49 PM
edawg55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
That sucks - glad you and your raleigh are ok!
Thanks

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Falling when stopped is a rite of passage with clipless pedals, so hopefully you now have this behind you.
If you have a fall the best one is when your're standing still. lol

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Lesson learned. I told the wife clipless pedals were safer then my toe clips. Doh!

On a good note down goes the NCAA defending champions. Go Big Ten! Probably a lot of red on a lot of brackets. lol

Last edited by edawg55; 03-19-17 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-18-17, 03:58 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Glad you're ok. Now tell us how many people saw this happen.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-18-17, 04:07 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
We've all been there. It doesn't make it any less em-bare-assing though, for sure.
Old 03-18-17, 04:09 PM
edawg55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Glad you're ok. Now tell us how many people saw this happen.
Hopefully none. Only a few cars in the parking lot. So I'm wondering if this only happened to just me or some just don't want to admit. lol I got some MTB Shimano shoes and 520 pedals. Not easy to getting into them and obviously I struggled getting out of them. Hopefully after a few more times and loosening the tension I get the hang of it.
Old 03-18-17, 05:01 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Switch to the Shimano SPD MTB system and leave the tension dialed way low. That way if you forget your feet will pop out as soon as you freak and jerk your legs. The right of passage is a thing of the past now.
Old 03-18-17, 05:47 PM
welshTerrier2

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, been there, done that on my first clipless ride many years ago. The good news is I haven't done it since.

Something to think about: which foot do you put down when you stop? I've chosen to always use my right foot. Using the same foot every time "might" help with muscle memory. I'm also a righty and my right leg and foot are stronger and quicker then my left.

Second, most roads have a crown where they are higher in the center and lower at the curb so the bike "might" have a tendency to lean right due to gravity. There's also more distance (in the US) from the pedal to the ground on the right so, if your foot gets a little stuck, you have a mini-second more time to get your foot down.

And finally, I would rather lean toward the curb than into traffic.

I have no idea whether any of this is actually safer but that's been my thinking on the left-side versus right-side issue. I wonder what others think about it.

Last edited by welshTerrier2; 03-18-17 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 06:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
....he right of passage is a thing of the past now.
While we all have the right to fall whenever we wish, the rite of passage relating to newbies falling when first starting out clipless is akin to other rites and rituals like Bar Mitzvah, confirmation, etc.

Like those rites, it's a one time thing that one passes as they become full fledged members of a group.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-18-17 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 06:34 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That it is. We all go through it! lol
Old 03-18-17, 08:11 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Hopefully you didn't do it as good as I did.

I fell over stopped at a light on my new carbon fiber beastie's maiden voyage.

Yes there were a lot of witnesses.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 03-18-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 09:02 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
If no one saw it it did not happen. So guess what, your first time is still to come. Hopefully like your dream fall you and the bike will be ok.
Old 03-18-17, 10:24 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I saw a high school kid wipe out today, his hat fell off (no helmet) and he couldn't get unclipped when he went to lean and grab it. Kid was shirtless since it was hot out...he left a lot of skin on the road. He tried to act like he was okay but he had blood everywhere from road rash. At least you were wearing clothes!
Old 03-18-17, 10:37 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone falls from clip less at least once. Those of us who learn slowly fall twice. Then you learn to clip out early and stop pushing your luck. (Or you get smart and adjust the clips to be loose until you're more used to them.)

I remember falling twice from clip less pedals. Once when following my girlfriend. We came to a stop sign and, being used to running in a large city, didn't see any cars near enough that I cared about so I planned on rolling through the stop sign (slowly) so I didn't have to unclip. My girlfriend stopped. I slammed on the brakes, forgot to unclip, and flopped over. I don't remember the other time clearly , but I do know the previous story was the 2nd (and last) time I ever fell solely due to clip less. (Now mountain biking, on the other hand is a different story.)
Old 03-19-17, 02:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Falling is like m@$turbating -- 90% of us do it. The other 10% are lying.

I haven't tried clipless yet but I fell a couple of times 30 years ago when getting used to strapping in with toe clips. Usually very publicly, like at a stop sign or traffic light.

Nowadays I use platform pedals on a hybrid and a rigid mountain bike, and I've still fallen a few times, mostly from trying dumb stunts that I'm too old for or just not paying attention.

I'll probably try clipless when I'm ready for another road bike, maybe later this year or next. Hope I can remember to roll because 60 year old bones don't bounce well.
Old 03-19-17, 02:25 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I have one of those light button posts that I'll occasionally catch, then shove off from. But most are too far from where I'm riding to be useful.

But, if you are new with cleats, you need all the practice you can get, safely getting in and out. Eventually it will be just normal. At which point you can try more finesse, like nearly coming to a standstill while waiting for a light to change.

I tend to anticipate getting out early... so, I'll unclip one shoe 20 feet before stopping (except, for emergency stops, or balancing, and light not quite changing).
Old 03-19-17, 02:53 AM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been riding clipless for 21 years now, never had a fall due to clipless. I know I never will. Thinking ahead does wonders.

Plus timing the lights and a 30 second track stand can do prevent silly mistakes.

Putting my arm on a pole at a stop, I don't think so!
Old 03-19-17, 03:04 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2cam16
That it is. We all go through it! lol
My point was when I first went clipless, 6 months ago, the new Shimano SPD pedals were available and if properly set up means you will avoid a fall. Basically you can disengage with the slightest twist or even a rolling motion of the foot. These motions come naturally when you freak out having come to a dead stop. twice when learning to use clipless I stopped without disengaging and both times my feet sprang out of the pedals and were on the ground long before the bike was past the point of no return. I had some older Time pedals that I tried briefly in the backyard and the process of disengaging was ridiculous compared to the SPD's. I sympathize with you older blokes who had to graze a few elbows in the learning process but those days are past. Of course as a newcomer progresses and their riding becomes more aggressive it's suggested you increase the tension to avoid a mishap under extreme effort.
Old 03-19-17, 03:41 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by edawg55
My first experience with clipless pedals ...... I ended up falling down to my left. haha I got up really quick and played it off. ......... I need to loosen up the tension for next time.
Glad your OK.... and not even to embarrassed.

I fell do to new clipless pedals once in a small crowd of people and teen kid yelled: "I think the old guy just passed out".
Old 03-19-17, 05:13 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 505 Posts
As a full fledged LIFETIME MEMBER of Club TomBay, https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ification.html, I want to say
WELCOME
Knowing that the first fall has finally taken place, like the first ding in your new frame or car, you can now proceed with unbridled abandonment to attack all roads ahead be they flat or mountainous to show the world how nothing will diminish your enthusiasm of riding that trusty steed.

Old 03-19-17, 06:32 AM
edawg55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Switch to the Shimano SPD MTB system and leave the tension dialed way low. That way if you forget your feet will pop out as soon as you freak and jerk your legs. The right of passage is a thing of the past now.
I'm going to dial the Shimano 520's down today and see how that works. Hopefully the more I use the better I get in and out of them. I got them on Nashbar so if they don't work I'll have to return them. What low cost Shimno MTB do you recommend?

Is this normal wear and tear after my fist time using the shoes. I had to tighten up the left cleat after my fall. The bottom of the shoe has 4 holes it's probably just preference to use top or bottom and where to move the sliding thing up or back. Not sure where what's better or if user error. lol The cleats have already made marks on the plastic of the shoe.

Originally Posted by welshTerrier2
Yeah, been there, done that on my first clipless ride many years ago. The good news is I haven't done it since.

Something to think about: which foot do you put down when you stop? I've chosen to always use my right foot. Using the same foot every time "might" help with muscle memory. I'm also a righty and my right leg and foot are stronger and quicker then my left.

Second, most roads have a crown where they are higher in the center and lower at the curb so the bike "might" have a tendency to lean right due to gravity. There's also more distance (in the US) from the pedal to the ground on the right so, if your foot gets a little stuck, you have a mini-second more time to get your foot down.

And finally, I would rather lean toward the curb than into traffic.

I have no idea whether any of this is actually safer but that's been my thinking on the left-side versus right-side issue. I wonder what others think about it.
For some reason I feel comfortable putting my left foot down. I remember years ago my sister had her ski's tension to tight and her boot stayed on when she wiped out. She messed up her knee.

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Hopefully you didn't do it as good as I did.

I fell over stopped at a light on my new carbon fiber beastie's maiden voyage.

Yes there were a lot of witnesses.
Damn...Did you get up quick though? hehe

Originally Posted by Bmach
If no one saw it it did not happen. So guess what, your first time is still to come. Hopefully like your dream fall you and the bike will be ok.
I hope someone on the loading dock saw me. lol

Originally Posted by linberl
I saw a high school kid wipe out today, his hat fell off (no helmet) and he couldn't get unclipped when he went to lean and grab it. Kid was shirtless since it was hot out...he left a lot of skin on the road. He tried to act like he was okay but he had blood everywhere from road rash. At least you were wearing clothes!
Yikes...On a funny drunk note my friend was clowning around and tipped our golf cart over. Luckily it was in some grass and I didn't put out my arm. We got out really quick and threw our clubs back in our bags. Only one person saw us.
Old 03-19-17, 06:50 AM
edawg55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have one of those light button posts that I'll occasionally catch, then shove off from. But most are too far from where I'm riding to be useful.

But, if you are new with cleats, you need all the practice you can get, safely getting in and out. Eventually it will be just normal. At which point you can try more finesse, like nearly coming to a standstill while waiting for a light to change.

I tend to anticipate getting out early... so, I'll unclip one shoe 20 feet before stopping (except, for emergency stops, or balancing, and light not quite changing).
Yeah that's what I started doing is to unclip a little early.

Originally Posted by ClydeTim
Been riding clipless for 21 years now, never had a fall due to clipless. I know I never will. Thinking ahead does wonders.

Plus timing the lights and a 30 second track stand can do prevent silly mistakes.

Putting my arm on a pole at a stop, I don't think so!
Good for you. You might have just jinx yourself though. j/k At times I think less wear on things they will last longer but in this case it was a bad mistake. Luckily it wasn't a big deal. My 2nd year cycling and like everything ya live and learn.

My point was when I first went clipless, 6 months ago, the new Shimano SPD pedals were available and if properly set up means you will avoid a fall. Basically you can disengage with the slightest twist or even a rolling motion of the foot. These motions come naturally when you freak out having come to a dead stop. twice when learning to use clipless I stopped without disengaging and both times my feet sprang out of the pedals and were on the ground long before the bike was past the point of no return. I had some older Time pedals that I tried briefly in the backyard and the process of disengaging was ridiculous compared to the SPD's. I sympathize with you older blokes who had to graze a few elbows in the learning process but those days are past. Of course as a newcomer progresses and their riding becomes more aggressive it's suggested you increase the tension to avoid a mishap under extreme effort.
I made the mistake thinking the tension of the pedal would be set lower out of the box.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Glad your OK.... and not even to embarrassed.

I fell do to new clipless pedals once in a small crowd of people and teen kid yelled: "I think the old guy just passed out".
Thanks...Damn kids. lol

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
As a full fledged LIFETIME MEMBER of Club TomBay, https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ification.html, I want to say
WELCOME
Knowing that the first fall has finally taken place, like the first ding in your new frame or car, you can now proceed with unbridled abandonment to attack all roads ahead be they flat or mountainous to show the world how nothing will diminish your enthusiasm of riding that trusty steed.

Good point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.