Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Going Tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 10:50 AM
tnave

Bikes: Fuji CCR-2; Scott Scale 960; Surly Steamroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going Tubeless

So I just got a new gravel bike that has tubeless ready rims (Stan's Radlers) and tires (Clement X'Plor ). It comes from the factory with tubes.
What would I need to get to go tubeless? Strips/valve and Sealant? Or just valve and Sealant?

So I guess the real question is, do the rims come with the correct taping (I haven't removed tires yet) needed for going tubeless?
Old 05-19-17, 11:07 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
You can use the tires with tubes. However, you can run lower air pressure without the risk of pinch flatting if you remove the tubes. It's a great advantage on rough and soft gravel.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-19-17 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 11:21 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It should have tubeless tape but the only way to know for sure is open it up.

The wheels should have come with valves. Where did they go? Did the retailer not supply them or was it a private sale?

You will need a valve core removal tool and sealant. Might as well get some tape while you are at it. If you have the bike for any length of time then it won't go to waste.

-Tim-
Old 05-19-17, 11:48 AM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tnave
So I just got a new gravel bike that has tubeless ready rims (Stan's Radlers) and tires (Clement X'Plor ). It comes from the factory with tubes.
What would I need to get to go tubeless? Strips/valve and Sealant? Or just valve and Sealant?

So I guess the real question is, do the rims come with the correct taping (I haven't removed tires yet) needed for going tubeless?
Rims are likely taped already, but just pull the tires off and check. Otherwise yah, valves and sealant (and possibly an air compressor.)

Edit: Deacon beat me to it and with a better answer too.
Old 05-19-17, 12:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Also a pump able to blow the tires onto the bead seat.

A compressor will work too.
Old 05-19-17, 12:52 PM
Flamme Rouge

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think twice before you run "non" tubeless ready tires without tubes. Often can be done, and often is done without issue. The problem is when there's a problem -- like a bead pops off. Odds are you'll make a quick acquaintance with the ground. Shortly after you'll probably make a quick acquaintance with your dentist or an ER doc. Not worth it to me, I'd rather buy some tubeless ready tires, but YMMV.
Old 05-19-17, 02:03 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Flamme Rouge
Think twice before you run "non" tubeless ready tires without tubes
Good point. The 700x36 Clement is tubeless ready, but other models are not. The OP should use a tubeless ready tire if going tubeless.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-19-17, 03:12 PM
tnave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Good point. The 700x36 Clement is tubeless ready, but other models are not. The OP should use a tubeless ready tire if going tubeless.

Sorry, I thought I stated that both my rims and tires are tubeless ready. But thanks all for the information. I will more than likely go ahead and purchase some tape, will need at some point.
Old 05-22-17, 09:02 AM
Flamme Rouge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As @Barrettscv correctly pointed out, *only* the MSO 36s are tubeless ready. Not clear for bike in question whether it's stock, new/modified or new-to-you/used so it wasn't clear to me that you have the 36s -- Also, I'm not aware they are OEM spec on any bike but I may be talking out my a$$. Sorry for the confusion and for making assumptions.
Old 05-22-17, 04:38 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
As @Barrettscv correctly pointed out, *only* the MSO 36s are tubeless ready. Not clear for bike in question whether it's stock, new/modified or new-to-you/used so it wasn't clear to me that you have the 36s -- Also, I'm not aware they are OEM spec on any bike but I may be talking out my a$$. Sorry for the confusion and for making assumptions.
The 50c MSO is tubeless ready too.
Old 05-22-17, 05:13 PM
Flamme Rouge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ckindt
The 50c MSO is tubeless ready too.
Old 05-23-17, 12:33 PM
tnave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've already answered my own question by checking the rims and confirming that they are taped and ready to go tubeless. I can also verify that my 36s are tubeless ready, unless the "Tubeless Ready" stamped on them has a different meaning.
Old 05-23-17, 02:44 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

You have tubeless-ready tires. Getting conservative and cautious advice is better than getting mindless advice.
Old 05-23-17, 03:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The wheels should have come with valves. Where did they go? Did the retailer not supply them or was it a private sale?
My bike came with the same wheels (Stan's Radlers). No valves supplied except the ones in the tubes. Suspect the same situation for the OP.
Old 05-25-17, 02:44 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Think twice before you run "non" tubeless ready tires without tubes. Often can be done, and often is done without issue. The problem is when there's a problem -- like a bead pops off. Odds are you'll make a quick acquaintance with the ground. Shortly after you'll probably make a quick acquaintance with your dentist or an ER doc. Not worth it to me, I'd rather buy some tubeless ready tires, but YMMV.
good point.

Here is some "free" internet advice, so take it for what it is worth.

I've used 'skinny strippers' to add a little (?) safety to getto tubeless. These inexpensive latex strips bond with the latex sealant and in essence convert a tubeless tire to a tubular tire that completely seals the air chamber - even off the wheel. It will not (should not) burp or come off the rim.
FattyStripper Tubeless Fat Bike Solution and SkinnyStripper Tubeless CX & DH Solution <link rel="image_src" href="https://fattystripper.com/media/FattyStripper_Logo_320.jpg" / ><link rel="image_src" href="https://fattystripper.com/media/FattyStripper_L
Old 05-25-17, 02:46 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by tnave
I've already answered my own question by checking the rims and confirming that they are taped and ready to go tubeless. I can also verify that my 36s are tubeless ready, unless the "Tubeless Ready" stamped on them has a different meaning.
Does it just have a plastic strip in there, or is it really taped? The true tubeless rims I have, have no tape because the wheel itself is sealed. With Bontrager, I bought a factory conversion kit that came with full width rim strips and valves.

Like you noted, you have to look, as every wheel can be a bit different...