Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Many Tubes Must A Young Man Store

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 02:55 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK, so I am not so young and that Peter Paul and Mary song came to mind when I read another thread about a flat.

Anyway, having several bikes, I keep a stash of anywhere from 7 to 10 tubes at all times. 2 or 3 patch kits as well.

If I go to the shop, which is rare doing my own maintenance, I will pick up 2 or 3 tubes figuring stuff happens. I save punctured tubes then repair most of them at once as well after building a small collection.

I've always got several functioning tubes on hand.

Can't count the times friends have said they want to ride but have a flat and no spare tube.

I don't give anybody new tubes anymore after having had passed several out in one year calculating the price it cost me to be a nice guy!

But I will toss them a patched tube if needed.

I am surprised at how many cyclists don't have a spare.

What's your stash?
Old 04-10-18, 03:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
1 or 2 for the road bike since I ride tubeless. Even when I rode tubed tires I would get maybe 1 flat/year.

Maybe 3 for my commuter/touring bike since I sometimes tour on gravel in out of the way places where bike shops are often non-existent.

No need to amass a gaggle of tubes because I have easy access to several shops by bike and/or by foot.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-10-18 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 03:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Half a dozen to over a dozen, depending on how many patches/types of holes, and how many I have waiting to patch. Plus one or two in the saddlebag of each bike.

I usually by half-a-dozen or so at a time when I find a sale. I buy patches in sets of 48 (i think--could be 50) and tubes of glue a couple or a few at a time.

I can't see not having more than I need ... because that would be less than I need, and I sort of need to ride my bike.
Old 04-10-18, 03:03 PM
Mitzey

Bikes: Schwinn Phocus 1400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just stocked up on some Continental packs today! Would just order more once I use one, and make sure I always have 2 spare.
Old 04-10-18, 03:10 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
2 in panniers, one in bar bag, one in each of two saddle bags, let's see, four need patching right now and I think I'm out of patched tubes not already pre-deployed, I grabbed three to get free shipping last winter, and at least one left over from the last batch. There's probably a few more in my spare parts boxes, but that's all I can think of right off the top of my head.
Old 04-10-18, 03:22 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
5-6 in our touring bikes sizes, and 5-6 for our road bikes. However, I just picked up 5 more last Saturday on sale at $2 each for decent tubes. I could never pass up a good deal
Old 04-10-18, 03:35 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling
Anyway, having several bikes, I keep a stash of anywhere from 7 to 10 tubes at all times. 2 or 3 patch kits as well.

What's your stash?
In total, I've got about 12-15 patched tubes ready to be used, counting the spare that goes along with each bike. That's spread out over 3 or 4 different wheel sizes, so I probably have 4 of each. Like you, I'll save up a bunch of punctured ones and patch them in a group while the glue is fresh.

Flats are infrequent in my area so I'm in no rush to adopt tubeless.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-10-18, 06:07 PM
Vegasclimber
Typical MAMIL

Bikes: 2011 CAAD-10, 2017 Evo HiMod Team Di2, 2018 Quick 5 Disc

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The number that you currently have...... +1
Old 04-10-18, 06:17 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind...

And I thought it was Bob Dylan.
Old 04-10-18, 06:19 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I order a couple every time I order stuff from the UK. I've lost count
Old 04-10-18, 08:27 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
OK, so I am not so young and that Peter Paul and Mary song came to mind when I read another thread about a flat.

If I go to the shop, which is rare doing my own maintenance, I will pick up 2 or 3 tubes figuring stuff happens. I save punctured tubes then repair most of them at once as well after building a small collection.

I've always got several functioning tubes on hand.

Can't count the times friends have said they want to ride but have a flat and no spare tube.

I don't give anybody new tubes anymore after having had passed several out in one year calculating the price it cost me to be a nice guy!

But I will toss them a patched tube if needed.

What's your stash?
This question is impossible to answer,,, you must define your interpretation of YOUNG,,,, that is the KEY word in inquiry,,,,
Old 04-10-18, 08:28 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcours2006

Ha ha ha! Well dangit, you're right! Told you I was getting old!
Old 04-11-18, 02:07 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
One or two in the saddlebag of each bike. And about a dozen backups on top of that.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-11-18, 02:24 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
One or two in the saddlebag of each bike. And about a dozen backups on top of that.
Jeebus, I'm really slumming it, I just have one spare tube.

Mind you I have not had a flat tyre in over two years, no doubt thanks to riding with Schwalbe Marathon Mondials.
Old 04-11-18, 03:25 AM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I have a huge hourd of new tubes.
Most likly I wont be getting any more for a while unless flats start happening.
I am not going to be bothered with the struggle of patching tube unless S. H. T. F. and theres no new ones to be had .
Old 04-11-18, 06:15 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have one or two of each size needed at home. For the road, I normally keep 1 on the bike which reminds, I may not have one for my folder.
Old 04-11-18, 06:57 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I'm a near daily commuter and I keep a tube in each bike's saddle bag and then one extra of each size (700 and 26") at home.
Since I started using Mr.Tuffy tire liners eight years ago, I average one to two flats a year vs 1 to two a month (or more) before using liners.
Old 04-11-18, 07:08 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
In the long run it doesn't cost you anything. Everything in the universe is connected and, as soon as you do a good deed, the universe seeks to rebalance itself.

The problem that I have with inner tubes is all the variations. Size, width, valve stem type and length. I'm probably more picky than I need to be about valve stem length.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 04-11-18 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-11-18, 07:12 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I've got a pile in various sizes. Generally use them to get to free shipping amounts, plus Wal-Mart had a bunch on clearance for $1 a few months back.
Old 04-11-18, 08:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006

You, sir, are correct. Dylan wrote the song in '62. It was released in '63 as both a single and a track on his "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" album.
Old 04-11-18, 08:48 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts

I live in a rural area where we get a lot of recreational cyclists. I have seen so many bikes on the side of the road with a flat and the rider on the phone that I try to keep an old tube and levers and a pump in my truck. Usually when I stop to ask if they need help they say that they have 'someone coming". When I ask why they don't carry a patch kit or a spare tube the answer varies but is usually either "it's a new bike - why would I have expected a flat?" or "I don't know how to change a tire".

I'm not much better as I only learned to change a tire last year.

Best answer why someone doesn't carry a spare. "I don't need to, I have CAA and CAA fixes flats". CAA is the Canadian Automobile Association, similar your AAA.
Old 04-11-18, 09:48 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Each of my road bikes has got a small saddle bag attached with two tubes, two tyre levers, a couple of self-adhesive patches, and a chain tool. There's a proper frame fitting pump on each bike too, not a CO2 inflator. All but one of the road bikes have the same size tyres which makes life easier. I've got 2 spare tubes in the shed, repaired and ready to go into a saddle pack.

Punctures are a rarity though, in normal use - presumably due to improvements in tyres?

My son, on the other hand, has a pile of 26" tubes he's going to fix soon waiting for Dad to fix, and doesn't have a good spare.
Old 04-16-18, 12:59 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
What's your stash?
saw a young couple walking their bikes on a shared path this weekend. I imagined one had a flat but no means to repair/replace it. was tempted to offer to do it for them but then rationalized/imagined it was a date & this was a better way for them to talk & get to know ea. other, thru enduring adversity ...
Old 04-16-18, 01:21 PM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just have a couple, and keep one in a saddle bag. Order one or two on Amazon as needed.
Old 04-16-18, 01:22 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WGB
[I] "it's a new bike - why would I have expected a flat?" or "I don't know how to change a tire".

I did a metric century out in the desert a few years back. I had my floor pump in my vehicle which was a good thing for 3 riders I met on my way out of town heading home.

I saw 3 riders still out on the course, side of the road working on a flat maybe 5 miles from town. I had my floor pump so I stopped and offered assistance figuring the floor pump would be easier than anything they had.

All 3 riders had a new bike and ONE spare tube each.

One gal and two guys. Nice bikes! They explained that one of the bikes kept flatting and they were all out of tubes and trying to patch. They said they were actually surprised that the tire kept going flat as the shop salesman told them it would be fine to take new bikes out on the ride. 62 mile ride out in the desert?

A second bike was rattling at the rear derailleur. Easy 30 second fix.

I told them in a perfect world. Mentioned gently how I never take anything new out on a long ride without testing it first.

But back to the flat. I asked them if they minded if I did the flat change, maybe I could figure out why it kept going flat.

I took the tire off and noticed the rim tape/strip had moved to the side resulting in repetitive flats. I showed them what the problem was, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime. Give him a fish, he eats for a day.

So I fixed it up, gave them my 2 spare tubes and sent them on their way!

Pretty sure they were happy with the help!

But yeah, never assume you won't get flat with a new bike, new tire, new tube, new girlfriend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.