Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Older gent looking for first "modern" road bike on modest budget

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Older gent looking for first "modern" road bike on modest budget

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 07:24 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Does Performance Bike count as a LBS? Check out the Fuji bikes there while they are on sale. My daughter just picked up a xsmall womens bike with Shimano 105 components and TRP Spyre mechanical disk brakes for $800. This plus a $250 credit on anything from the store (sorry 30% deal is over and only 10% credit now). Worth checking out at least...
Old 06-30-18, 08:10 PM
rsn48

Bikes: Ritchey Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought a 2010 Specialized Tarmac Comp that is in great shape. You can get much more bang for your buck on a used bike and your lbs makes more money working on bikes than selling them so I know they will be happy to see and work with you on your new used acquisition. I have a second older 1988 Ritchey Ascent Comp that is a nice tight mountain bike I have been using to get me back into bike shape so I can ride the Specialized with confidence. I don't purchase many things new anymore, just bought my wife a 2015 BMW X1 with 18000 miles on it, looks and smells brand new. Half the fun of purchasing used is waiting to make they great "score," a good deal that saves me a lot of money yet is still quality. Eight hundred should get you an older bike that originally cost $2000 - $2500 with a carbon fiber frame.
Old 07-10-18, 05:28 PM
roybatythighs

Bikes: Nigel Dean World Tour Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After much agonizing I've ordered a Specialized Allez , of all the bikes I tried (inc. Giant, Fuji, Trek) that one felt the best and the Bike store gives free labor for a year and free lifetime gears and brake adjustment. It is the base model so much in keeping with my riding talents, very probably too good for me, about 8lbs lighter than the Nigel Dean which I've grown very fond of over the last seven weeks but which is painful to lug up and down the steps to the station. In the end I was not brave enough to go for a used bike or something I'd have to assemble IKEA-like, my skills are modest, I don't have the tools or space for serious maintenance and it's a birthday present, many thanks to all who have replied. I've learned a lot from this forum

Last edited by roybatythighs; 07-10-18 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 05:35 PM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roybatythighs
I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs joyfully called the mainline. I have trawled the local Craigslist, not too much joy so far (saw several badly adjusted and overpriced clunkers) plus Facebook marketplace. I've test rode (ridden) a Fuji Sportif 2.1 (2016) and a couple of new Giants (Contend 1 and 3) today, they were (all 3 ) a world different from the bikes I grew up with in the 70s - all 3 were very nice to my unrefined state, light and responsive and with brilliant brakes even with the crappy engine. Slightly preferred the Fuji. Planning to try out the Trek Domane and possibly a Marin Argenta in the next few days ( we have a lot of bike stores in my manor...)
I'm in Chester County. Get over to the Twisted Cog in Phoenixville. It will be worth the trip. They have a good selection, and are very knowledgeable.