Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Have you had this experience?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 08:56 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

Trek FX 3 - FX 6 - Cannondale Quick 8 - Quick 1 - etc.
Can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference in the bottom end flat bar bike to the top end flat bar bike for the average rider? I realize there are other models that can be bought with more carbon or higher end components but this is enough of a spread for my question. I have not had the luxury of riding one of the top end bikes but I was hoping someone here had made this or a similar jump in a model line. I am considering moving up to a better flat bar and would like some input as to what I can expect in real time experience as a return on my investment. Not ever going to compete or do a century ride. At 69 will I ever appreciate the difference a more refined bike would offer? A true road bike, drop bar, is not an option as I have a physical issue that doesn't allow it. Not limiting my question to these two brands, just using them as a example. I do realize there is a weight difference with a carbon frame but that is not the bike I would be moving too. I would stay in an aluminum frame bike with the fork being carbon or not.
Thanks in advance, Frank
Old 08-20-18, 09:17 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my bike for example (Giant Roam 3) stepping up means
1. hydrollic disc brakes- I don't care and don't have a problem with my brakes now (disc brakes are becoming standard now though it is still a choice between hydro vs mechanical disc) mech disc might as well be rim from what i hear
2. maybe a better fork- I don't care my fork is sufficient for the easy singletrack I'll do
3. Higher quality shifting- maybe that would be nice. after about 3 years i notice it takes longer to shift now though that may just need adjusting and a better/ pricier derailuer might need the same over time. Stated difference is 3x8 to 3x10. I rarely use all my gears and generally stay in the middle going up or down 1 or 2 sometimes changing the front ring up hills but see no need for 2 more gears in the back.
4. Highest level has tubeless tires. Again not concerned. 3-4 flats in 3-4 years is no biggie and lets me fix something i can do on my bike. I also had to find the right pressure so I'm not getting pinch flats on curbs Like I did at frst.

I hear forks can be heavy and can save 3-4 lbs with carbon but again for casual riders it doesn't matter and smaller components that are a little lighter aren't great weight savings. I haven't ridden nicer bikes but looking at mine there's nothing there in the stats or description that's worth $500 to me or 2x the price. Makes me feel better for getting the lowest end bike when i got it but my N+1 dreams are for a mountain bike which I'm starting to realize i don't need and i don't have much interest in a road bike. I will eventually just want a newer bike though. Maybe gravel or mtn, I hate to get another hybrid but maybe thats my jam.

It would be interesting to test ride them both from a shop. The only thing you couldn't feel would be durability but in cycling higher end is more light weight which equates to less durable or so i heard.

Last edited by TheLibrarian; 08-20-18 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 09:29 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,587 Times in 1,223 Posts
Lighter, smoother ride, better shifting. I ride with a group of older people. A 75 year young rider went back to his carbon Specialized hybrid after a time of running an electric bike. He said it was, simply, a better ride. He rides with fat road tires instead of the all terrain.
Old 08-20-18, 09:43 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the FX line, the major difference as far as the frame goes comes when you go up to the FX S models. The S models are full carbon frame bikes with the IsoSpeed decoupler on the seat post. This features makes for a generally more comfortable ride.
Old 08-20-18, 09:56 AM
canerods

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.9, Fuji Roubaix 1.3, Diamondback Wildwood Trail Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My local shop lets you test drive them and see for yourself. I understand the big differences are at least a full carbon fork and higher end components. Though after reading some of the carbon threads lately, I'm wondering if full carbon forks are a good idea... I'm a newbie, so I'm learning as well.
Old 08-20-18, 10:43 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Since we aren’t competing the weight issue is not really a concern. Good shifting, comfort fit is more important. Keeping your bike well tuned takes care of that and a well shopped bike will start you off right.

To me, a bike that is going to last with regular use and abuse is very important. Aluminum will do just that. CF will run a bigger risk of failure due to “ accidents” which other bikes can shrug off.
Old 08-20-18, 12:40 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Thank all for taking the time to respond. I appreciate you insight and will probably see if I can wear out my Quick 7 and then take it from there.
Be safe, Frank.
Old 08-20-18, 12:55 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
1. hydrollic disc brakes- I don't care and don't have a problem with my brakes now (disc brakes are becoming standard now though it is still a choice between hydro vs mechanical disc) mech disc might as well be rim from what i hear.
I think the statement, and I've read it also, that mechanical disc brakes might as well be rim brakes is a little exaggerated. I have a bike with mechanical disc brakes and, through proper adjustment, I've been able to get them to work very nicely. They're not as nice as hydraulic brakes, but they offer many of the advantages of disc brakes over rim brakes and still offer the ease of maintenance (no hydraulic fluid to bleed, easy cable changes, etc). And you never have to toe brake pads to keep them from squealing!

I am switching this bike to hydraulic because I like that better, but I still have grown to prefer disc brakes over rim brakes. I have a lot of bikes with rim brakes that I just don't tend to ride anymore, and the brakes are a large part of it. The rim brakes will stop the bike just fine, but I've found discs to simply be more enjoyable to use, regardless of their actuation (cable or hydraulic).
Old 08-20-18, 05:11 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Trek FX 3 - FX 6 - Cannondale Quick 8 - Quick 1 - etc.
Can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference in the bottom end flat bar bike to the top end flat bar bike for the average rider? I realize there are other models that can be bought with more carbon or higher end components but this is enough of a spread for my question. I have not had the luxury of riding one of the top end bikes but I was hoping someone here had made this or a similar jump in a model line. I am considering moving up to a better flat bar and would like some input as to what I can expect in real time experience as a return on my investment. Not ever going to compete or do a century ride. At 69 will I ever appreciate the difference a more refined bike would offer? A true road bike, drop bar, is not an option as I have a physical issue that doesn't allow it. Not limiting my question to these two brands, just using them as a example. I do realize there is a weight difference with a carbon frame but that is not the bike I would be moving too. I would stay in an aluminum frame bike with the fork being carbon or not.
Thanks in advance, Frank
It depends, as always, on your habits/wants/expectations.

Keith Bontrager said it long ago: you can have two of 'cheap, light, strong', but not all three. Still true. If a given cyclist wants 'light and strong', he/she will pay more.

Me? I want 'light and strong'. Why? I am an 'average rider' -- always have been, always will be -- but I ride, a lot, even at 66-going on-67. I like climbs; I want a light bike, well under 20 lbs. I also want something easy to lift up, whether onto a bike stand or up a set of stairs. I want 'strong': I don't want to worry about strength/durability of either frameset or components. I want very good, low rolling resistance (and light) tires. So, that means either a high-end aluminum frame/carbon fork, or a full carbon frameset, with good wheels/excellent tires.

Today's full carbon framesets, from known/reputable manufacturers, are every bit as strong/durable as their metal counterparts, steel, aluminum, or Ti. I have no worries on that score.

Flat or drop bars has nothing to do with it. I'm a 'flat bar guy', others prefer drops. Doesn't matter; the considerations are the same.

Disc or rim brakes? Don't care, as long as the brakes in question are first-rate and well maintained. Both will stop me as/when required. The purported superiority of disc brakes for general cycling (not mountain biking) is greatly over-hyped.

Will the very light bike make me 'faster', transform me from an 'average rider' into something else? Of course not. Will it be nicer and, probably, more comfortable to ride? Yes. Is it likely to be that little bit more aesthetically appealing? Yes. Are those sufficient justifications? For me, yes. For others, who knows?
Old 08-20-18, 05:46 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
I find that the highest model made of aluminum in the line up is the sweet spot, for example the Specialized Sirrus Elite. Highest aluminum model puts it pretty much in the middle of the overall range.