Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Cruiser 1 vs. Townie

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Cruiser 1 vs. Townie

Old 08-29-18, 07:02 PM
deathcrow76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cruiser 1 vs. Townie

I think I have narrowed down my bike pick to an Electra Cruiser 1 or the Townie. I sat on the Townie and although it felt very comfy for the little I test drove it, as one particular person put it, it doesn't feel like you are part of the bike or the experience. With the pedal forward that much it felt weird, comfy but weird. No shop around me has a Cruiser 1 to sit on (I may take a drive to a shop that has one this weekend) so I was just wondering if there is any difference in the "feel" or way it rides. As a side note, the sixthreezeros look nice, but again I can't find any shop around me that carries them. I don't want to order a bike until I ride it first. Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated. My budget is under $500. Thanks.
Old 09-16-18, 10:50 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
I have an Electra super delux. When I got it the seat said sixthreezero on it. Idk what that means. What ever has an intergal geared hub get that one. Go shopping for a good dropper post and saddle. Maybe second hand and save.
Old 09-25-18, 08:04 PM
Cruiser2112

Bikes: 1985 Bianchi Celeste, Custom Electra C1, Flying Machine Cycles custom E-Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 16 Posts
The tall frame C1 is a truly unique ride in that the seating position gives another 2" of rear travel for a more defined pedal forward user experience. If comfort is desired this is a much (IMHO) more "easy on the knees" setup.
Old 10-16-18, 04:38 PM
wgbatche

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my Townie 7D. One of the things to remember about the pedal forward. The position allows you to push the pedals with resistance against (pulling) on the handle bars. For example, when going up a modest hill, I can lean back pulling the handle bars towards me while I push the pedals - almost like a recumbent bike. The location of the pedals allows me to push against them while leaning back. That gives a lot of power.
Likes For wgbatche:
Old 01-21-19, 10:43 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Bikes: 84 Ross Mt.Whitney - 84 Specialized Stump Jumper - 84 Nishiki Kodiak - 86 Specialized Rockhopper - 86 Cannondal SM-600 with 24" wheels - + more project frames than I'd care to admit to

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts
The geometry of the townie puts the pedals a little more forward than that of the Cruiser 1. A lot of it will come down to personal preference. When I am in a more relaxed or upright riding position, I prefer to have handlebars that sweep back towards me. I have never been a huge fan of the straighter bars on the townie. A good test ride will give you the whole story though!
Old 01-26-19, 06:11 AM
gjohnson

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to go with Electra. I always feel comfortable about their riding geometry but it depends from person to person.
Old 05-03-19, 10:47 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I've recently purchased both a sixthreezero EvryJourney 7 speed and a Electra Townie 21D. Both bikes have pedal forward designs. What I realize is that I love Beach Cruiser seating position more. The Townie is more of a Hybrid bike than a Beach Cruiser. Maybe I should have bought a Electra Cruiser 7D instead. I might change my handlebars on my Townie to see how it affects the ride. Maybe I should have bought an Electra Beach Cruiser 7D.

You can return a bike with sixthreezero for a year. I had my EvryJourney assembled and tuned by a mobile bike service. Not bad. I'm enjoying the pedal forward design more and more, and being able to touch the ground is awesome. Who knows?

Last edited by alloo; 05-05-19 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-09-19, 08:56 AM
jsinnard

Bikes: 2016 Electra Cruiser 1, 2015 Specialized Rockhopper Expert

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I can easily do 10 miles on my Cruiser 1, its very comfortable bike to ride and I'm an old man at 54 with a bad knee. I've never ridden a Townie though to compare.

It all boils down to personal preference.
Old 05-19-19, 07:49 PM
rgmoose

Bikes: schwinn signature voyeger3, Electra crusier1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just purchased a tall Electra Cruiser 1. I am 6’3” and love the bike the comfort and the easy peddling. I didn’t try the Townie fell in love with the Cruiser instantly. Took my wife and got her one the next day.
Old 05-20-19, 01:44 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I've got a late 50s Rollfast middleweight and 1954 Schwinn Hornet straightbar plus a 1946 Shelby Traveler. among 8.

I'm probably spoiled beyond rotten there. I fancied a Trek Pure S for a while and even had an idea for an over the bar tank with lights and a horn, it was really cool.
Old 05-21-19, 07:05 AM
alloo

Since I stated earlier that I like my Sixthreezero. I have bought two handlebars for my Townie. I currently have a set of Cafe bars and I purchased the bullhorn bars for my other Townie 21spd. The Cafe bars have made a huge difference. I love the Townie now. I'll give you and update on the bullhorn bars once I get my bike back. I have commuted on this bike with these bars and love the posture and speed that I can get.
Cafebars on Townie
Old 07-03-19, 06:00 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Love my Cruiser 1 . With a few changes , tires , saddle , added a front brake , my Cruiser 1 is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden . And at one time I owned about forty bikes . Down to less than twenty . Kirby

Last edited by OldCruiser; 07-27-19 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-04-19, 05:59 AM
alloo

Thumbs up

Black Townie with Bullhorn bars

I love my bike with the Bullhorns. Very comfortable with peddle forward pedals. Smooth with the suspension fork.
Likes For alloo:
Old 05-26-22, 07:46 PM
michelsal

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those look like a compromise between the 630 handlebars and the original Townie handlebar, is that right? I found the 630 EVRYjourney too far back, felt like riding a horse bareback
Old 05-31-22, 05:44 PM
aPpYe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me, they gotta be reasonably wide, and I don't like to stoop or put weight on my hands.
Old 06-08-22, 02:03 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
We have two electra, single speed, steel cruisers. They have been great. I put cream colored balloon tires on them and a taller stem on mine. The cruiser felt better than the townie to me. The cruiser is still different to other cruisers and has the electra seating position but not as drastic as the townie, that's how it felt to me.