Notices
Great Lakes Rides and Events Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

2019 Blue Water Ramble

Old 01-24-19, 08:42 PM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
2019 Blue Water Ramble

Just curious if anyone here participates in the Blue Water Ramble. I've totally never participated in any group events but this one looks pretty neat and I'm right down the road from it. Would this be a good event for a newbie? (Also a clyde who is trying to fix that status... 77 lbs down and 850+ miles last year anyways...) Looking at my average speeds in Strava I'm around 12-13 mph normally 10-17 total miles daily; I guess I'm worried about keeping up...

Any particular rules like helmets or whatnot? If you plan on the 27 mile segment are you allowed to keep going if you feel up to it?
Old 02-04-19, 01:05 PM
rnkarlis
Specialk

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale 900, Surly Disc LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Synac42' Blue Water Ramble

Originally Posted by Synack42
Just curious if anyone here participates in the Blue Water Ramble. I've totally never participated in any group events but this one looks pretty neat and I'm right down the road from it. Would this be a good event for a newbie? (Also a clyde who is trying to fix that status... 77 lbs down and 850+ miles last year anyways...) Looking at my average speeds in Strava I'm around 12-13 mph normally 10-17 total miles daily; I guess I'm worried about keeping up...

Any particular rules like helmets or whatnot? If you plan on the 27 mile segment are you allowed to keep going if you feel up to it?
My wife and I did it a few years ago. We did 60 miles. For part of it you take the ferry to Harsens island and bike around it which was really nice. We always wear helmets and I expect they are mandatory. You ride at your own pace, so it isn't something you should worry about at all. If you are riding a stationary bike or trainer most days you will have a great time. I was just thinking about that ride today and saw your post. Regards Rick
Old 02-04-19, 03:35 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
this? Blue Water Ramble - Clinton River Riders

Looks like a great time. For any organized ride like this, fully expect helmets are required, as well as waivers and commitments to abiding by rules of the road. Also, most of the time, you do the route you signed up for. Some rides may loop the distances and you could have a mid-course decision, but they also might charge differently for different lengths. For example, one of the staple rides around here has a fork in the course for the 62 vs 100mi routes. You can choose when you get there depending on how you feel. Not all rides are set up that way though. Looking at these routes, all of them longer than the 27 do the island first, and then more. You might be able to add on if you're feeling it.

If you have a chance to lengthen your rides over the course of a couple months, there's no reason why you couldn't do a longer distance. (stick to the shorter rides during the week, and go for a longer distance on the weekend) Would be a great goal Good luck!

Last edited by superdex; 02-04-19 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 05:45 PM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Yep, that's the one. I think I'm going to give it a shot. Seems like it would be a good intro to group rides.

And yea, I've been totally trapped on the stationary lately with the awesome weather. Still sticking to an hour minimum, resistance cranked as high as that cheap bike can go ;-). Though it finally thawed up enough Sunday where I was able to take out the project bike I've been working on... So much nicer being outside...

Thanks
Old 03-28-19, 07:54 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I will probably be there too. Most likely with my recumbent. As long as it didn't rain, like last year, not to mention having pnuemonia at the time, it should be a good ride.
Old 04-10-19, 07:00 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
I have never been on a organized ride this looks like it would be a good one to try.