Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

I fell and I'm OK but

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

I fell and I'm OK but

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 12:09 PM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I fell and I'm OK but

Long story short I have had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, left about 12 years ago. Right shoulder less than two years ago. Massive L shaped tear, borderline irreparable. Have about 75% range of motion, equal amount strength above my head.

So I was screwing around with my Android watch while riding and I fell, luckily into a pile of nice soft grass. Two days later, shoulder is sore as hell. Seem to have great range of motion, not sure what I did but it made my shoulder hurt.

Doc says too young for shoulder replacement (57) and another surgery is not an option at this point. Says to deal with it. Kind of leary about getting back on the bike (not that I think I will fall, only fallen three times in 30 years), I just can't risk hosing up the shoulder again. Damn getting old sucks.
Old 04-18-19, 12:33 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Recumbent trikes are really hard to fall over on. Really difficult to load and transport in some cases too. Even at times difficult to find a good place to ride them. I would suggest looking at one with suspension if you go that route.
Old 04-19-19, 10:36 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I do two things for my shoulders: hang from my hands at least 2 X 1' twice a week and do dumbbell work at the gym. It's been effective. Strong and conditioned is good.
Old 04-19-19, 11:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
feel better. btw, which way did you fall? left? or right?
Old 05-16-19, 12:03 PM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Fell to the left, reached from the right
Old 05-16-19, 12:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by frogbiscuit
Fell to the left, reached from the right
growing consensus that most cyclist falls (no-pro) are to the left. you gotta stop screwing with your watch tho huh? but you're not alone, I fell (to the left) last fall screwing with a camera when my front wheel got sucked into some mud. have you been out on your bike since the fall?
Old 05-16-19, 03:27 PM
frogbiscuit

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
growing consensus that most cyclist falls (no-pro) are to the left. you gotta stop screwing with your watch tho huh? but you're not alone, I fell (to the left) last fall screwing with a camera when my front wheel got sucked into some mud. have you been out on your bike since the fall?
Oh yeah, seems like no worse for the wear, just dont heal as fast as I used to.
Likes For frogbiscuit:
Old 05-17-19, 08:57 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by frogbiscuit
just dont heal as fast as I used to.
give it 6 months
Old 05-18-19, 04:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I unintentionally avoided surgery for my shoulder injury last year after I was hit by a car. I had a Grade 4 separation, broken coracoid process, torn up everything -- AC, rotator cuff, etc. During pre-op evaluation the anesthesiologist was palpating my trachea and said "Mmmm... I don't like this."

Turns out my Hashimoto's thyroid disease had worsened into cancer, encapsulated inside the calcified thyroid, but so swollen it had deformed and constricted my trachea. I knew I was having trouble swallowing and breathing during hard exertion, but it happened so gradually I hardly noticed, although I had noticed larger pills were getting harder to swallow. By summer last year I could hardly swallow solid food.

I couldn't be intubated so shoulder surgery was delayed until I had thyroid surgery. By the time that was done, my shoulder had healed -- more or less. And it aggravated older injuries from a 2001 car wreck that fractured six vertebrae from my neck to lower back.

But I was still having constant pain and weakness. I was doing some physical therapy at home, but it wasn't helping much. I got back into PT this year with a good therapist and just the last week or so I'm noticing some significant improvements: less pain overall, especially at night; fewer pain relievers; better range of motion and strength off the bike; able to ride longer with less neck and shoulder pain.

The shoulder is a bit deformed and probably always will be. It's too late for surgery to repair the damage from a year ago, but too early for a total shoulder joint replacement. But it's doing better and should continue to improve within reasonable limits.

Last year at this time I would not have anticipated such a long rehab process.
Old 05-18-19, 05:01 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Well, Cankle Cat - it seems fortuitous you had the shoulder injury - catching the cancer! Good luck on your therapy.
Old 05-19-19, 10:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, odd kinda luck, but in a way the timing was lucky.

I suppose it would have been caught sooner if I hadn't neglected my health for so long. I didn't see a doctor routinely for anything for almost 20 years. That was the real lucky bit -- getting away for so long without any medical treatment. But now I'm getting good care from the VA, despite the occasionally negative media portrayal (which is accurate in some regions -- but the DFW region is treating us well).
Old 05-20-19, 12:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I fell on my single last week. Didn't put out a hand, landed on the whole side of my body, got back up and rode away. Nada. I was going slow, a few minor scrapes. Stupid, wandered off the asphalt, couldn't get back on. At least I fell away from traffic.