Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Happy Anniversary Part Two

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 08:45 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

May 9th,2017

My 64 year old body needed more than the dieting and some exercising I was doing. So, I dragged my 1974 Mercian out of the shed, pumped up the tires (yea they actually were OK), went across the street to the cemetery which has a half mile loop and did 3 miles. Thought I was going to cough up a lung. Now, when I had hair and a flat belly (late 20's), I was quite the cyclist doing centuries and hanging with the big boys. So, this was a very humbling experience, but it was a start...FAST FORWARD......

MAY 9th, 2018.
2,016 miles logged, 130,000 calories burned, 3 bikes in the stable PLUS the same wife! Solid B rider now with lots of 35 mile plus group ride done. 40 lbs. lost and 20 more to go. Bunch of Metric centuries planned this summer and maybe a real 100 later this year.
Anyway, that's my story so far and I wanted to post to thank those further along for their sharing their expertise and inspiration. For those that just started this wonderful sport. RIDE ON!!! There is nothing like the joy of two wheels and the satisfaction of steady improvement.

That's my post above from one year ago……..today

May 9, 2019

Another year gone by. Weight 173 down from a 2016 high of 235. 4,057 more miles ridden. First century ride in the books, along with many metrics including a Gran Fondo of 83 miles at an average speed of 18.7 MPH (LOTS of wheel sucking!). What has another year taught this soon to be 67 year-old come back biker???

RIDING IS FOR EVERONE

Weather you tool about at 11 MPH or you are frustratingly trying to increase your current FTP of 380…it’s all good we are all part of the same family and I’ve enjoyed and learned from all of you.

I LIKE GROUP RIDES

Last year I found the comradery and anticipation of an upcoming event good fodder for training and riding. Now my winter ritual is planning my cycling season events and with my company choosing one to raise money for. Say hello if you spot me at the Eagles Ride for Autism May 18th. I’m the old fart on the red/black Domane.

CYCLISTS ARE A FASINATION GROUP OF PEOPLE

Joined a couple of clubs this year and found a wonderful mix of friendly people. Yes, some can be a bit “clickish” but hang in there. Respect and friendship earned is a long lasting treasure. As my Mom use to say, “someone that has to be friends with everyone is usually friends to no one”.

BEING FIT DOES NOT MEAN BEING LEAN

I can’t tell you how many times, shall we say, “pleasantly plump” guys and gals sped past me up hills and on the flats. I’m working on getting rid of another 10-15 lbs. (my inner voice reminds me strongly of that on every 13% grade I hit). So, if you want to lose weight, ride your bike more and you’re eating utensils less.

I HATE INDOOR TRAINING.

Well not hate and Zwift has made things a lot better but for some reason I do a lot of better numbers and training wise “free riding” on Zwift as opposed to structured workouts.

GETTING BETTER EQUALS SUFFERING

Want to go longer and faster on your bike? Go longer and faster on your bike. The human body, yes even old ones, are remarkable machines. Push/stress the body but not to the point of breaking and it will get stronger. While visiting Florida I had the (mis)fortune of mistakenly picking an A group to ride with for 40 miles. What did I learn? I learned to that you can corner at high speeds as sprinting to catch back on a wheelat 20 plus MPH gets old and painful real fast. I hung in, didn’t die but felt like I should be in traction for a few days after. That’s the beauty of our sport. Make it as hard or as easy as you want. However, at least for me, being more fit makes things more enjoyable as my home state has lots of 3 mile 8-9% mountains.
Okay enough for now. While, at my age, I don’t buy green bananas and this past year I buried too many friends and relatives, I look forward to my May 9th, 2020 post. Also, thanks to the many here that share and inspire. I can’t tell you how many days I “just didn’t feel it” and going through the posts and pics here got me kitted up again. Ride on brothers and sisters! Now can we get back to the IMPORTANT STUFF like what’s the best chain lube or disc vs. rim brakes?
Likes For Ald1:
Old 05-09-19, 11:54 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Your 60+ years of wisdom come through loud and clear in this post. There are days when "it" just isn't there, and days when one feels 20 again. The roller coaster is real, and can be fun. "Just ride and stay away from the sugary stuff" is my new motto. Seems to be working.