Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Winding Country Road or 50 mph Highway with Shoulder?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 03:32 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
Or as one southern rocker sang,

Gimme three feet
Gimme three feet Mister
Gimme three feet from your door
Steely Dan, as I recall (without searching)...Lynard Skynard

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-17-19 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-16-19, 03:51 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
now you sound like Thoreau

one of my favs: "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
With apologies to Frost, but....

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less sucky by,
And that has made all the difference.

I dream a world where we don’t have to choose the less sucky road.

(Let alone where our peers critique our choices, where *I* wooda never taken that sucky road.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-16-19 at 03:56 PM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-16-19, 07:56 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Unfortunately, the bad roads converge on the neighborhood where I live, so even if I'm going nowhere, I have to traverse them.
I'm fortunate to have the opposite. I can leave my driveway and ride as far as I want on roads where I may get passed by a car every ten minutes. Occasionally, I have to ride for a few miles on roads where it may be a car every few minutes. Those roads are a bit busier at commute times, but not a whole lot busier. Of course, this only works when I'm going nowhere. Going into the city it's a beautiful 2 lane road with no shoulder, or a 65 mph 4 lane with a good shoulder. When I do ride into the city, I'll take the country road at off peak hours and the highway if it's busy. Hate holding up too much traffic on the smaller road.
Old 05-17-19, 08:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
With apologies to Frost, but....
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less sucky by,
And that has made all the difference.
I dream a world where we don’t have to choose the less sucky road.
(Let alone where our peers critique our choices, where *I* wooda never taken that sucky road.)
nice. when you come to a fork, take it. wonder who said that?

Old 05-17-19, 12:24 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Yeah.

If you are going nowhere, sometimes you choose the roads.
If you are going somewhere, sometimes the roads choose you.

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
All my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural.

I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal.
Sometime ago, on a philosophical bent, I posted to make this comparison of free will to determinism; that on the Road, like in Life you freely choose a Destination, but then you’re constrained by the available Roads, some well-paved, and some torn up with potholes and heavy speeding speeding traffic.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-18-19 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 04:53 PM
Jim from Boston

˄ ˄ ˄ ˄

Originally Posted by UniChris
I've become a creature of MUPs and similar who mostly avoids roads. However, one of my paths has a couple of miles explicitly placed on the at least half (and often full) lane wide shoulder of a state highway signed at 50 mph or so. Initially I hated this, but I've come to be reasonably comfortable there - speeds are fast, but someone would have be be negligently driving *fully* in the shoulder to put me in danger.

And because cyclists are never "in cars way" there seems to be very little driver frustration on display - where there are two travel lanes many will even change to the left lane....

When I went looking on Strava, it seems people take a winding, woods-edged country road instead. I don't think I'd be as comfortable riding that, as it requires drivers to recognize my presence, wait for an opening with good sight lines, and then pass with enough space...

But is my thinking reasonable, that faster traffic not normally in the "lane" I would be riding in, is perhaps less of a risk than somewhat slower traffic traveling in the same space I would be occupying? I realize there's a lot more energy in being hit at say 60 mph vs 40, but I feel like the probability is much lower.
In a more pragmatic manner in reference to the OP than in my preceding post, I have posted on another A&S thread,
As a bicyclist, I have posted my warning about approaching sharp curves after seeing this thread:"Head-on collision between group cyclists and car (video)"
Originally Posted by FBinNY
In all fairness, I don't think there's anyone who's been riding for a long time, who hasn't at some time (or many times) ridden in that zone where the only thing separating us from disaster is favorable alignment of the stars. (Note the "us" rather than "him")

We all take chances and make mistakes, but fortunately life is"organized" with plenty of forgiveness. In my experience the difference between disaster and "whew, that was close" is millimeters and microseconds, and not anything we can take credit for.
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms (link) in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or“Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface.”

After seeing this video, I’m addingWhen approaching a curve with no forward sight lines, hug the curb…’tight to the right’ .“
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Tight to the Right
not bad-sorta rhymes

Of course the motorist is at fault-
but the riders would be "dead right"-great for their heirs-not so good for them
Cars routinely cut curves and corners-
it should never be a surprise for an adult-riding or driving

Probably not so good for heirs-5 dead riders-$ 50,000 policy -dead young person worth $2,000,000 or so

Like Jim said
Tight to the Right- love that-I will steal it-forever
BTW, when coming out of a sharp curve behind you, I have posted:
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. I got the idea from a cycling companion who used only a right hand mirror.

The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful [including]
:

• On a curved road to the right
My main argument for a mirror, particularly in the urban environment is summarized by Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well paved or lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-17-19 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-18-19, 05:22 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
[QUOTE=rumrunn6;20934348]nice. when you come to a fork, take it. wonder who said that?

That was the title of a book written by that great American philosopher Yogi Berra. I had read that one but he has written at least one other.

I always prefer the winding country road for the scenery and less traffic but there is quite a lot that goes into the calculation including time of day. Generally, state roads, unless there is a good shoulder, are avoided.
Likes For berner:
Old 05-18-19, 10:03 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Generally, state roads, unless there is a good shoulder, are avoided.
Yes, the shoulder is the only thing that made me even consider it. And even that, only because my rail trail gets officially directed onto such a shoulder of a similar road in the same area for a couple of miles which provided experience with the idea.
Old 05-18-19, 01:23 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I was just thinking of starting a similar thread when I saw this one. The road, and the only one that leads to our development, which is a large one, is a 2-lane (one in each direction)-virtually no shoulder, tree lined and shaded, country road with a 50mph speed limit (many are doing faster than that). KY does NOT have a law against hand-held phones while driving. I see cyclists on it, but I will not be one of them. Not on a road such as this. I've had to move my car way over toward the no-shoulder side to avoid being hit, and it is equipped with auto-running lights, so I know I'm seen. Be a shame for one of the cyclists to encounter similar, if they didn't see me, I know they won't see a cyclist!
Old 05-19-19, 03:02 PM
UniChris

Turns out this wasn't theoretical at all.

Went and rode a stretch of the Bronx River Parkway which they close for cycling on Sundays, and after the out and back on the roadway decided to go north again on a shady bike trail I could see meandering along the side. It was great for a while.

But then the paving stopped, and for a minute it was rollable fun, then too technical and I used the excuse of a guy walking his dog to hop down and walk myself. And then the path ended entirely at a hole in the guard rail of a 40 mph no shoulder country road!

So I rode it. In the moment it felt fine, traffic was light, people went by noticeably under the speed limit in all but one case, and usually fully in the opposing lane. So it worked out.

But it's not the kind of thing I like to do, and would not have done it by plan.

Was kinda funny as I started contemplating asking directions back to the parkway - but found a commuter train station with an overpass that got me back on the right side of the tracks, then walked down an off ramp and resumed the parkway closure ride. Saw the path alongside again, so need to research where it really goes...

A little post-ride research shows that it wasn't a wrong turn, the path is actually missing in that section and there is misleading stub that leads into the missing part, which I'd followed. But what you are probably supposed to do is go up a switchback, go over a block and then ride up a residential street. At least that is bordered by people's lawns, and not guard rails.

Last edited by UniChris; 05-19-19 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-19-19, 05:45 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Our winding country roads are typically too narrow for trucks to pass one another, and are typically 60mph limited. They're dangerous enough in a car..
Old 05-24-19, 04:07 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Neither for different reasons.
Old 05-28-19, 08:00 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
The local cyclists prefer our one stretch of highly enforced 50 mph speed limit highway with a 10 foot shoulder to the winding lightly enforced 45 mph with a 5 foot shoulder.
Old 05-28-19, 10:18 AM
UniChris

Was surprised on Monday's holiday to see a number of family groups with very small children riding (on independent bikes) the signed wide-shoulder state highway gap of our MUP. I guess in a way, safety there is almost entirely on drivers staying in the travel lane, so except at the rare intersections it doesn't really matter how old or experienced the cyclist is, but it just felt odd. Maybe it shouldn't, and the sight of younger cyclists there should be a norm, but I'd only previously seen such groups on the sheltered stretches.

Still, I don't think any of these groups started out their own front doors from car-free households, and if driving to the trail even for myself, I'd not personally pick a section that involved the road gap unless I wanted (as I usually do) to do a total length of ride that would require transiting it. There's also no shade out there.

Last edited by UniChris; 05-28-19 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 10:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The winding section of highway, US 30, East of Here is also the part without a shoulder .. just 2 lanes..