Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Pump Repair Question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-19, 02:31 PM
CricketUSA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I got an old floor pump that I am trying to fix up if possible. I ordered a replacement hose off Ebay but the connection end that fits into the pump base is a bit too small.

Anyway the old hose itself is fine... what has gone bad is the chuck head. It wants to leak air around the tire valve (I use Schrader tubes on my bike)

So the questions I have are this:

1. Can the chuck head be removed off the new hose and be fitted onto the old hose?

I tried posting a URL or an image, but this stupid forum will not allow me to post any pictures or links until I have 10 posts.

So... anyway.... if you go on Amazon and cut and paste the phrase below into Amazon's search box :

GEZICHTA Bicycle Pump Hose

It will show a replacement product with a red fabric hose.

My question is... when the hose has a metal band on each end of it... can you still remove the pump head? It seems to be press fitted into place with the metal band.

However if the pump head cannot be removed what other options might I choose?

3. What good quality, inexpensive high pressure tire pump would any of you be willing to recommend?

Last edited by CricketUSA; 06-08-19 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-08-19, 02:50 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
That kind of hose with the metal band will be hard to deal with. You have to cut the metal band, and then find a way to attach a hose without it. You're more likely to have better luck with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-F.../dp/B0037L327M

Here, a threaded nut unscrews and then you can pull the hose off a barb on the pump head. You might be able to find just a pump head with the same configuration. I've used replacement hoses like this. Otherwise, a cheap Schwinn-branded pump from Target will probably work for a long time.
Old 06-08-19, 02:52 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
No, you can't remove that without cutting off the hose. It's a crimped metal band. Short of buying a replacement hose with the correct fitting to fit your floor pump, there are lots of good hand pumps out there for little money. Zefal, Bike, and a gazillion others of varying degrees of quality. If you're just looking for cheap, go to the local hardware store or the bay and you'll be surprised.
Old 06-08-19, 03:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
A hose clamp will substitute for that metal band on the old hose.
Old 06-08-19, 04:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by CricketUSA
Hi Everyone,

I got an old floor pump that I am trying to fix up if possible. I ordered a replacement hose off Ebay but the connection end that fits into the pump base is a bit too small.

Anyway the old hose itself is fine... what has gone bad is the chuck head. It wants to leak air around the tire valve (I use Schrader tubes on my bike)

So the questions I have are this:

1. Can the chuck head be removed off the new hose and be fitted onto the old hose?

I tried posting a URL or an image, but this stupid forum will not allow me to post any pictures or links until I have 10 posts.

So... anyway.... if you go on Amazon and cut and paste the phrase below into Amazon's search box :

GEZICHTA Bicycle Pump Hose

It will show a replacement product with a red fabric hose.

My question is... when the hose has a metal band on each end of it... can you still remove the pump head? It seems to be press fitted into place with the metal band.

However if the pump head cannot be removed what other options might I choose?

3. What good quality, inexpensive high pressure tire pump would any of you be willing to recommend?
I think you want something like this.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-So...placement-Head
Old 06-08-19, 05:56 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Most hardware stores will sell compressor hose by the foot, rated at 300psi, plenty for bicycle use. I use hose clamps to attach the hose to the pump and chuck. The chuck will depend on what type of valves are on your bikes. Some people use dual purpose Schrader/Presta chucks; I have a separate pump for each valve type. I like the old Silca "Pista" floor pump chuck for presta valves, and a locking Schrader chuck for Schrader valves. I have the one from Silca seen in the link below, but since then I've seen the same chuck at a local hardware store for a fraction of what Silca charges. I've also heard very good things about the Hiro presta chuck, if you feel like splurging.

https://silca.cc/collections/accessories
Old 06-08-19, 06:12 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It's a simple task to cut the old tubes and insert a barbed connector (shown below) between the 2 halves. Most bike pump tubes have a 1/8" inner diameter so this fits fine. $1.67 for 10 of them at Home Depot Store SKU #531677 . You will need two hose clamps. I've used the normal ones in the past but found that some that I could buy from overseas worked better as they are smaller and less in the way when you pick up the hose. They were 10 for a dollar on eBay including postage from China.

barbed connector

10 mm clamp