Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Standover height

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Standover height

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 07:17 PM
toolba

Bikes: Haro V2 MTB, Bad Boy Ultra w/700x28C & Bad Boy Ultra w/26x2.10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Standover height

I just bought a new Cannondale Bad Boy. I ride in the city and off road. I've already put over 100 miles on it and decided to read the manual. It says I should have 3 inches of crotch clearance. I have maybe, 1 inch of clearance. Is this bike too large for me? Is it that important to have 3-inches? How much clearance would you recommend? Thanks.
Old 02-10-06, 07:37 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
As long as the top tube isn't too long and you're not stretched way out, I wouldn't worry too much about standover clearance as long as you have some.......just be extra careful dismounting over technical terrain.
Old 02-10-06, 08:25 PM
mac
They see me rollin'

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale T2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Fixer
just be extra careful dismounting over technical terrain.
My old road bike was too big for me - I had the seat all the way down the tube and still stood on my right toes at stop lights. Then one day I missed the ground and planted my crotch smack on the top tube. I made sure my new bike had enough clearance.
Old 02-10-06, 08:32 PM
toolba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems when the bike shop guys "fitted me" to this bike they should have said something about the minimal clearance. Maybe it's because they only had one size of this bike in stock, or maybe it's because the 1-inch of clearance is sufficient. It just doesn't agree with the manual.
Old 02-10-06, 08:40 PM
mac
They see me rollin'

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale T2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toolba
Maybe it's because they only had one size of this bike in stock
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

That's what happened to me too. The bike shop guy said I'd be fine.
Old 02-10-06, 10:39 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
It seems when the bike shop guys "fitted me" to this bike they should have said something about the minimal clearance. Maybe it's because they only had one size of this bike in stock, or maybe it's because the 1-inch of clearance is sufficient. It just doesn't agree with the manual.
Actualy don't place too much credence on the manual. This idea of needing 3" of standover clearance is only a rule of thumb anyway and then maybe the lawyers got in on the act. What's important is the top tube length. It probably just works out that the right top tube length gives the average person 3" of standover clearance but its just a ballpark figure.

How's the top tube length?

Do you feel stretched out?

Regards, Anthony
Old 02-10-06, 11:18 PM
toolba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Actualy don't place too much credence on the manual. This idea of needing 3" of standover clearance is only a rule of thumb anyway and then maybe the lawyers got in on the act. What's important is the top tube length. It probably just works out that the right top tube length gives the average person 3" of standover clearance but its just a ballpark figure.

Regards, Anthony
Tube length is good. I was measured geometrically for that; but more importantly it feels right. I'm comfortable on the bike, I was just concerned about the minimal clearance.
Old 02-10-06, 11:37 PM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
My bike gives me about an inch clearance as well and I am comfortable with it. I say if you are comfortable on it you don't need all that room. I am 5'9" and ride 58cm frames.
Old 02-10-06, 11:42 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it fits, don't worry. I have 0" clearance on my '77 Motobecane (of course, it's a road bike...), and I was fitted to it in the shop. As long as you can straddle it, you're OK (rules different for a mountain bike, though...). I think that with today's bikes, they stress that you buy the smallest size frame that fits, because they flex less, so maybe you'd have a stiffer frame if it was smaller.

Last edited by Blue Order; 02-10-06 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-11-06, 01:54 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Depends how aggressive you are offroad. Bouncing off the saddle and finding the crossbar hurts. but more important is whether the rest of the bike fits. Can you get the saddle to the right height, will the length fit the arms etc. I ride a mountain bike and standover height is the last thing I think of until I stop and get off the bike. Providing I have nothing to remind me that I have just got off a bike that is too big- then it is OK.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-11-06, 03:44 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Tube length is good. I was measured geometrically for that; but more importantly it feels right. I'm comfortable on the bike, I was just concerned about the minimal clearance.
Minimal clearance isn't realy an issue. I have a custom road frame with "only just" standover clearance and I'm happy. It certainly beats my old frame which was about 3" higher than standover. It theoreticaly fitted me and that was in the day's of 27" wheels and horizontal top tubes only. Once your riding it doesn't matter and since you only put one foot down usualy when you stop temporarily I don't think its an issue. Anyway the higher the tube the less time you have to generate any acceleration if you fall on it.

Regards, Anthony
Old 02-11-06, 06:43 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG

Regards, Anthony
Actually, I think that it depends a whole lot on how you actually use the bike. That's something that Cannondale can't tell but a better-than-average bike shop guy will find out and consider when fitting you.

If you do real mountain bikeing, 3" of standover isn't too much at all. If you ever find yourself having to put a foot down suddenly, it will be on the low side of the trail (Ouch!).

Riding in the city or on railroad conversions and the like, not only do you need less standover, but you will also probably appreciate the longer top tube length that typically comes with the larger frame.
Old 02-11-06, 07:14 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thing with 0 standover height is that it gets to be a pain in the butt everytime I stop at a stop sign or red light which happens often since I live in an urban environment. I thought I could ride a 52cm, but I've come to the conclusion that I need a 47cm, maybe 48cm. Max 49cm.

I could just rest the ball of my left foot when I stop with a 52cm bike with 30.5in standover.

People say that top tube length is more important than seat tube length when buying a bike, but I have to say that seat tube length is very important especially if you have short legs like me. Unless the top tube is extremely long/short in comparsion to the seat tube, all one has to do is switch out the stem in order to get a better fit.
Old 02-11-06, 10:43 AM
toolba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your comments. I'm calling the LBS today to see what they have to say. I don't think the minimal clearance will be a problem, or course the first time I "crunch" I may change my mind.
Old 02-11-06, 10:48 AM
toolba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle height is perfect. Top tube length is great. I was measured geometrically for the bike, but the guy never mentioned the standover clearance. I was wondering if anyone thought this could be a problem.
Old 02-11-06, 01:12 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Saddle height is perfect. Top tube length is great. I was measured geometrically for the bike, but the guy never mentioned the standover clearance. I was wondering if anyone thought this could be a problem.
No !!! There are guidelines as to what it should be, but it is not a rule that will affect your riding if it is not correct. I have ridden a Bike that is too large for me and that standover height did not exist. In Fact I still ride one and the only time it will possibly affect me is when I stop. Hasn't up till now so Don't worry about it. At least you do have some clearance- even it is minimal.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-11-06, 01:59 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The 3" sure seems excessive;a bit of lawyerization might have slipped in their.If you were bounced off,and came down on the top tube I guess they figure 3" is better than 2",but why not 4"??Experienced riders usually manage to side slip the top tube when they get bounced off.Luck,Charlie
Old 02-11-06, 02:14 PM
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, don't worry about 1", that's what I had on my first MTB, and had many more instances of racking myself on the stem than on the top tube. The trick is learning to miss both.

I've also heard the trick is not ramming trees, but I'm not buying into that crap.
Old 02-11-06, 09:14 PM
alanbikehouston

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Standover clearance is essential if you plan to buy a bike, and then stand over it, with two feet flat on the ground. But, if you plan to RIDE your bike, what is important is that it be comfortable while riding. I ride six to eight different bikes over the course of a month. The bikes that are the most comfortable for me to ride are the ones with the LEAST standover clearance.

On my favorite bike, when I stand flat footed, the top bar is pressing lightly against the crotch of my jeans...not enough to be uncomfortable, but enough to notice. But, that same bike fits me like "a glove" while on the road.

On a "tall" bike, you need to develop a technique for red lights and stop signs. Mine is to tip the bike to the left, and put my left foot on the ground. My right foot remains on the pedal, with the pedal at 2 o'clock for maximum leverage when the light turns green. With that technique, standover is not an issue. You can stop easily and safely on a bike that provide zero clearance if you were stopping with both feet flat on the ground.

If I were riding on dirt trails, gravel roads, and such, I might be more concerned about clearance. Rough riding can make for some "unplanned" dismounts, where extra clearance is helpful. But, for riding on smooth roads, it is the RIDE fit that counts.
Old 02-11-06, 09:23 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
On my favorite bike, when I stand flat footed, the top bar is pressing lightly against the crotch of my jeans...not enough to be uncomfortable, but enough to notice. But, that same bike fits me like "a glove" while on the road.
+1
Old 02-13-06, 11:29 PM
littledog
Ya never know 'til ya try

Bikes: Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has always been a problem for me. I am short,only 5'4". My first road bike was a Motobecane with a 19" frame. Definitely too tall and to long a reach on the drops. Now I have a Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe with a 19" frame. Maybe 1/2" clearance. But it has worked out OK doing emergency stops. My other bikes are a MTB and a hybrid. With the smallest frames and sloping top tube I have maybe 1 to 1 and 1/2". This I feel comfortable with. But I have held off on a road bike because of the level top tube. Today I put money down on a Specialized Seqoeagh or however you spell it. 47CM frame with sloping tube. Maybe 2" clearance and the fit is perfect. So at 2" over the top tube I feel like there is absolutely nothing to worry about! Having been off a road bike for almost 10 years and now my first one that fits it is like something totally different. I have done 35 to 50 miles on the Schwinn so a century on the road bike should be easy as it has a granny chainring and weighs half of what I am used to. Hills,here I come.

Dan
Old 02-13-06, 11:47 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's the right size. As we age, some things on each gender tend to "hang down" a bit more. If you were exactly the same height at 22 years old, you'd probably have that 3" of clearance.
Old 02-14-06, 02:56 AM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you are riding a compact frame worry otherwise, comfort is the final arbiter. If you are worried take it back to the dealer and ask him why he sized the bike the way he did (or she). There are a number of books that can take you through some sizing issues. Lennard Zinn's book "Zinn and the Art of Roadbike Maintenance" have a chapter on bike fit. It is a very good book on maintenance and care for bikes.
Old 02-14-06, 08:17 PM
toolba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone, for all your comments.
Old 02-14-06, 09:15 PM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
It's the right size. As we age, some things on each gender tend to "hang down" a bit more. If you were exactly the same height at 22 years old, you'd probably have that 3" of clearance.
Thank you. I needed that chuckle. Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.