Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cannondale's new gearing

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cannondale's new gearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 11:32 PM
Olden Crow

Bikes: Cannondale T600, Scattante R-660, Diamond Back Response Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale's new gearing

Pardon if this is old news.

The new 2008 Cannondale Touring 1 bike has 11-32 cogs, 30/39/50 rings.

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8TR1.html

The new Cannondale 2008 Touring 2 bike has 11-34 cogs, 26/36/48 rings.

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8TR2.html

The 2007 bikes (T2000, T800) both had 11-34 cogs, 26/36/48 rings.

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...odel-7TR2.html

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...odel-7TR8.html

Well, I'm a bit disapointed in the lack of low gearing in Cannondale's top of the line 2008 model!
Old 12-07-07, 04:54 AM
diesel_dad

Bikes: Bridgestone MB-5, Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race, Surly LHT, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Marinoni Sportivo, Steelwool Tweed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I read the specs, the Touring 1 is a 10-speed rear derailleur. That limits access to cassettes, derailleurs etc. I don't see any need for 10 speed kit on a touring bike.
Old 12-07-07, 05:54 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
The lower priced model was always a better deal IMO. Now it is a slam dunk!
Old 12-07-07, 06:53 AM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There isn't a non-custom touring bike out there that comes with low enough gearing. They assume that most people buying these bikes don't do real loaded touring, they just buy them for the more comfortable upright position. Most if not all bike shops will swap-out gearing for you at little to no cost.
Old 12-07-07, 07:01 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by gregw
There isn't a non-custom touring bike out there that comes with low enough gearing. They assume that most people buying these bikes don't do real loaded touring, they just buy them for the more comfortable upright position. Most if not all bike shops will swap-out gearing for you at little to no cost.
That is a bit of an overstatement IMO. There are bikes with at least a 48-36-26 and 11-34 which is at least marginally adequate to the task.
Old 12-07-07, 07:46 AM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
That is a bit of an overstatement IMO. There are bikes with at least a 48-36-26 and 11-34 which is at least marginally adequate to the task.
I, for one will not start a cross country tour or any tour for that matter with gearing that is only "marginally adequate". Not when it's so easy to change.
Old 12-07-07, 08:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,216 Times in 2,363 Posts
The crank on the T2 is a 104/64 BCD Shimano crank. It's easy to change the inner ring to a 22. The T1 crank is a 130/74 or it might be a 130/92 BCD (not sure which). You could change the former to a 24 inner but the best thing to do with the other one is sell it on Fleabay
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-07-07, 08:53 AM
staehpj1

I, for one will not start a cross country tour or any tour for that matter with gearing that is only "marginally adequate". Not when it's so easy to change.
Actually I consider it adequate. You will notice that I said at least marginally adequate.

I was running a 46-36-26 and 11-32 on the Trans America this Summer and only thought I might have used a lower gear a couple times in Virginia. The 34 that is on the lower end Cannondale would have made it about right. Lots of folks I saw along the way were running the same or similar gearing.

This doesn't mean that some riders in some locations won't want lower gearing, but that it is a "reasonable" choice for standard equipment.
Old 12-07-07, 09:06 AM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually I consider it adequate. You will notice that I said at least marginally adequate.

I was running a 46-36-26 and 11-32 on the Trans America this Summer and only thought I might have used a lower gear a couple times in Virginia. The 34 that is on the lower end Cannondale would have made it about right. Lots of folks I saw along the way were running the same or similar gearing.

This doesn't mean that some riders in some locations won't want lower gearing, but that it is a "reasonable" choice for standard equipment.
OK so you had a few times where lower gears might have been nice, did you have any times where you wished you had higher gears? My guess is not, I certainly didn't and that is my only point, I know it's splitting hairs and I'm sorry for that, it's just that changing gears when you first get the bike from the dealer is free, and why not go ahead and get what you need.
Old 12-07-07, 09:46 AM
staehpj1

OK so you had a few times where lower gears might have been nice, did you have any times where you wished you had higher gears? My guess is not, I certainly didn't and that is my only point, I know it's splitting hairs and I'm sorry for that, it's just that changing gears when you first get the bike from the dealer is free, and why not go ahead and get what you need.
No, but I did use the highest gear a good bit and wouldn't choose a lower high gear.

I agree with what you are saying about changing gearing at time of purchase. OTOH a new inner ring is what? 12 bucks maybe? So it isn't a big deal to do at any point unless the crank doesn't take it.

I don't get why they put road cranks on so many touring bikes though. I guess that maybe most of the touring bikes sold never tour, so maybe that is the rationale.
Old 12-07-07, 10:55 AM
Recycle

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What are the widest tires that will fit on the T2? Think it'll handle 40s?
Old 12-07-07, 12:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,216 Times in 2,363 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycle
What are the widest tires that will fit on the T2? Think it'll handle 40s?
The T800 handles 37mm with loads of space. I don't think they'd make it narrower.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-07-07, 03:38 PM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, but I did use the highest gear a good bit and wouldn't choose a lower high gear.

I agree with what you are saying about changing gearing at time of purchase. OTOH a new inner ring is what? 12 bucks maybe? So it isn't a big deal to do at any point unless the crank doesn't take it.

I don't get why they put road cranks on so many touring bikes though. I guess that maybe most of the touring bikes sold never tour, so maybe that is the rationale.

WOW! you must be a strong rider, I'm using 22/32/44 X 11-34 and I never got close to my highest 44/11 gear and used my Granny 22/34 gear hundreds of times. Can I borrow you legs for my next tour?

I agree about (not) using road cranks, mountain bike cranks give tourist many more options.
Old 12-07-07, 04:04 PM
staehpj1

WOW! you must be a strong rider, I'm using 22/32/44 X 11-34 and I never got close to my highest 44/11 gear and used my Granny 22/34 gear hundreds of times. Can I borrow you legs for my next tour?
I mostly used the big gear either on downhills or when drafting my 21 year old daughter. She would be flying along at 18-20 a lot of the time and was on the front a lot more than her share of the time. I do like to mash a big gear some of the time on my own too, though.
Old 12-07-07, 07:53 PM
Jim Bushard

Bikes: Cannondale t2000, Schwinn Moab mountain bike, Specialized allez cro-mo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T2000

That is quite an improvement my 2001 T2000 came with 11-32 and 52-42-30. I changed that out. I now have a 48-36-26. I like that much better.
Old 12-07-07, 08:33 PM
Olden Crow

Bikes: Cannondale T600, Scattante R-660, Diamond Back Response Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to complain to much but the '07 T2000 had 700x37c Schwalbe Marathons, but the '08 T1 has 700x32c. I'm disappointed in a company whose very first bike historically was a full blown touring bike, not a sports tourer.

The first one I bought many years ago came with an Huret Duopar on which I put a 36" cog.