Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hub confusion...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hub confusion...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 10:18 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hub confusion...

I'm trying to figure out what type of hub I have on my 1994 Schwinn CrissCross. I read Sheldon Brown's website but it offered so much info I think I'm more confused now than I was when I started. As I understand it there are 2 main types of hubs that my bike could possibly have- A cassette hub or a multi-speed freewheel hub. The cassette hub will have splines vs. the freewheel hub that will be threaded. From: https://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

In the pictures on his website I can plainly see the difference but on my bike, with the gears still on the hub, I'm not sure which type I have. A helpful BF.netter was able to link me to the 'stats' about my bike but it might as well be written in russian since I don't know what I'm looking at. The hub is listed as a Hypergear 7 speed if that means anything? Full stats @ https://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1..._Sport_23.html (right-most column)

What am I looking for when taking the complete rear wheel off to determmine which type of hub I have?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-08, 12:03 PM
earleybird
Zzzzzzzzzzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you posted a pic it would help.
I would suggest you take it to a local bike shop. They will tell you what you have and either remove it for you or sell you the correct tool
Old 01-23-08, 12:07 PM
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
I'm trying to figure out what type of hub I have on my 1994 Schwinn CrissCross. I read Sheldon Brown's website but it offered so much info I think I'm more confused now than I was when I started. As I understand it there are 2 main types of hubs that my bike could possibly have- A cassette hub or a multi-speed freewheel hub. The cassette hub will have splines vs. the freewheel hub that will be threaded. From: https://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

In the pictures on his website I can plainly see the difference but on my bike, with the gears still on the hub, I'm not sure which type I have.
Sorry you didn't find the right page. The page that is devoted to answering this question is https://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7

Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
A helpful BF.netter was able to link me to the 'stats' about my bike but it might as well be written in russian since I don't know what I'm looking at. The hub is listed as a Hypergear 7 speed if that means anything? Full stats @ https://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1..._Sport_23.html (right-most column)

What am I looking for when taking the complete rear wheel off to determmine which type of hub I have?
That's a cassette Freehub, but an off-brand, not genuine Shimano. Most likely interchangeable with Shimano though.

Sheldon "K7" Brown
Old 01-23-08, 12:12 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The catalog listing is a bit ambiguous. By 1994 most new bikes, particularly higher quality ones, came with cassettes and freehubs but "Hypergear" isn't a trademark I'm familiar with and yours may still have a freewheel. Some low-line bikes still use them. In the Schwinn catalog page you reference the models that use cassettes are specifically listed as having "Shimano HG50 cassettes" and yours isn't so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a freewheel.

Sorry for the "maybe" reply but I recommend you take the bike, or at least the wheel, to an experienced rider or bike shop for a definitive answer.
Old 01-23-08, 01:38 PM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks to everyone who replied for their help. I don't know how I missed that webpage about how to tell the difference between the two types but it was very helpful.
Old 01-23-08, 01:50 PM
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The catalog listing is a bit ambiguous. By 1994 most new bikes, particularly higher quality ones, came with cassettes and freehubs but "Hypergear" isn't a trademark I'm familiar with and yours may still have a freewheel. Some low-line bikes still use them. In the Schwinn catalog page you reference the models that use cassettes are specifically listed as having "Shimano HG50 cassettes" and yours isn't so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a freewheel.
It's listed as 12-28. This is a VERY common cassette, but I have never heard of a freewheel in those sizes.

Old Regina and a very few Sun Tour freewheels were available with 12 tooth sprockets, but 12s are super uncommon in freewheels. No way Schwinn would have spec'ed such a freewheel.

Sheldon "Douze" Brown
Old 01-23-08, 02:44 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
It's listed as 12-28. This is a VERY common cassette, but I have never heard of a freewheel in those sizes.

Old Regina and a very few Sun Tour freewheels were available with 12 tooth sprockets, but 12s are super uncommon in freewheels. No way Schwinn would have spec'ed such a freewheel.

Sheldon "Douze" Brown
Very good information. From Schwinn's description it wasn't clear to me what he had but that's a good way to tell.