Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata 310, good bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Miyata 310, good bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 07:10 PM
Yip812

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Miyata 310, good bike?

Picked this up at goodwill today. Body looks like crap, needs new tires, rust removal, etc. But seems to shift right, good brakes, seems like it will fit me. And, well, it was $3.99.

I'm new to bikes, a few months ago, I didn'n even know people spent more than $200 for a bike, it seemed crazy to me. I currently own a Murray mountain bike and a Huffy road bike (go me!), that were goodwill finds as well. I turned the murray into a single speed, it's decent and solid. The huffy just seems cheap and flimsey. So is this (the miyata) a decent bike? It looks well used, so it can't be too bad, right?

Dawn
Old 07-14-08, 07:35 PM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sheesh, why can't I ever find anything like this in my searches..................

The most improtant thing is it fits.

Any Miyata is a great bike. You will love the bike when you get it on the road, and probably turn your Murray and Huffy into plant hangers after riding it!

Remember, any bike that fits and get's you out riding is a great bike in the end. You just did a lot better than that on your purchase. Heck, I'll give you $10 right now!

If you tried posting pics, they didn't come up. Have I mentioned we need pics? We ALWAYS need pics....
Old 07-14-08, 07:46 PM
Yip812

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Camera batteries are dead. I'll take some before I start cleaning it up though. Man is it ugly!

I'm gonna get rid of the huffy, but the murray is fine, has baskets and a brand new bad paint job (I gave it a cheap spray painting, had to, it was black with gold spots). It has character And we have alot of country roads here, not road bike friendly.
Old 07-14-08, 09:18 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
That Miyata can handle a rough road. Excellent frame, good, solid components. The '10 series, from 210 up, was a nice smooth bunch of bikes. The bike is worth some TLC and $ put into it.

Now that you're playing with the older kids, maybe you should look for an old Schwinn Heavi Duty or American. Great cruiser, hugely dependable, and you'll forget the Huff and Murr by the end of your first ride....

There are lots of Miyata folks, and several Miyata blogs/sites/etc.

Welcome. This part of BF is where kids play nice, advice is right on, and info is good.
We are all above average in IQ, good looking, and snappy dressers. Also, quite honest.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 07-14-08, 10:06 PM
rat_factory
= cyclist's tan

Bikes: '82 Miyata 310, '87 Scott Boulder, '87 Schwinn Le Tour, '91 Cannondale SM500, '96 Schwinn Clear Creek, '99 Schwinn MesaGS, '05 Rockhopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I saw this thread and knew I had to jump in.

*warning: 'i love my bike' post and possible hijack. not really, I just want you to know what I know now....*

I am a proud owner of an '82 Miyata Three Ten. Like you, I found this bike at a thrift store. Mine was $12 and looked completely god awful, but I knew by doing a lift test in the store that it was very light for a steel bike, yet I did not recognize the shimano group set only identified with an engraved golden arrow . After taking it home and literally brushing the spider webs off, I gave it a 'sponge bath', (maybe I love this bike too much?) and proceeded to look up the strange group on the internet. Shimano 'Golden Arrow' or 'Arabesque' is a 105 groupset. The 310 also had nice tubing and a very smooth ride even in its disrepair. Mine had a 6 speed freewheel and a double up front. Being an amature mechanic I wanted to take the time to rebuild it from the ground up. It was one of the best decisions of my life.

I might have been in the same situation as you, riding old department store bikes and wondering why my bike couldn't handle the modest roads I showed it (I often broke components on my craptastic Pacific MTB). Those repairs are what caused me to get into cycling initially, and I've never looked back.

Being in college at the time and having very little money, I spent my spare moments looking up parts and practically memorizing Sheldon Brown's (rest in peace) website on bicycle mechanics. I repacked bearings and trued wheels, adjusted saddle and handlebar positions, brake calipers, and dérailleurs. Slowly buying parts and tools of the web and my LBS, I rebuilt her after a long 2 semesters of trial and error.

Road riding was foreign to me as I'd only ridden shoddy mass produced machines that were poor excuses for mountain bikes. This new bent over position, high saddle, humongous 27" tires and scary speed seemed to take a while to get used to. My neck was sore from looking up, but I learned to ride hands free, use friction shifters, change hand positions on long rides, and work on my pedal stroke and bike posture. Every ride I made I knew I was getting faster.

3 years past and thousands of miles later (not to mention a BFA) led to the point where I am now. I have almost every tool a mechanic ever needs, a whole stable of rescued, and loved, bikes, and hundreds of memories and stories to tell about commuting, road riding, and mountain biking. After every ride I always, always think to myself - "I love cycling."

Don't be afraid to fix her. Repack every bearing, invest your money in good tires, lights, saddle, cables, chain, tape, pedals, etc. The ride quality is very good for a steel bike and the friction components are quick and simple. No original component has failed yet nor shows any sign of failing. The Miyata is your ticket to a happy life. Okay maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit

So that was my 2 cents, over zealous and over the top maybe, but a true experience with real results and a lasting mindset of cycling.
Likes For rat_factory:
Old 07-14-08, 10:08 PM
rat_factory
= cyclist's tan

Bikes: '82 Miyata 310, '87 Scott Boulder, '87 Schwinn Le Tour, '91 Cannondale SM500, '96 Schwinn Clear Creek, '99 Schwinn MesaGS, '05 Rockhopper

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Welcome. This part of BF is where kids play nice, advice is right on, and info is good.
We are all above average in IQ, good looking, and snappy dressers. Also, quite honest.
+1
And this bike will make you these things if you aren't already!
Old 07-15-08, 05:30 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 514 Posts
I have had my 310 since I bought it new in 1984. Once you have it cleaned up, it should serve you well for many years. The 310 was known as a "sport touring" bike. Its frame geometry was not as steep as a race bike, but sportier than a fully loaded touring bike. It was meant to be comfortable for all day riding.
Old 07-15-08, 05:55 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
No complaints here either. Like Fuji and Nishiki, almost any Miyata beats even the highest end Huffy, etc. Of course high end Huffy is kind of like jumbo shrimp, a contradiction. I bought a Miyata 312 at the Flea market a few weeks ago for $45, and it's slated for a re-do with better components. It has exage so not my favorite, and funky brakes that are hard to adjust correctly. Not sure what to put on it yet, but I have a couple of sets. The 310 for $3.99 was an awesome buy, and worth far more in most areas. Congrats!,,,,BD

I missed out on a Golden Arrow 310 two weeks ago. It wasn't my size unfortunately, so not all that big a deal. It was a nice bike though, and the group would've been sweet to have.
Old 07-15-08, 02:07 PM
Yip812

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
That Miyata can handle a rough road.

How rough though?

I'm not talking a gravel road or a well worn path that people walk often. The land here is rocks and sagebrush. The old roads that I ride on (not alot really, just mainly if I want to get some pictures in a place my car won't go), have lots of rocks and goatheads. More rocks than dirt really.

Eh, probably doesn't matter too much, I mostly ride on roads anyway.
Old 07-15-08, 03:10 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I recommend getting it "right," and then riding it on the roads a bit, then try the rougher stuff if you want.
I'm convinced by the time you ride it on the road a bit, you'll be addicted, anyway.
Old 07-15-08, 07:29 PM
Yip812

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Okay, now for photos (we all can thank the kind plum tree for holding this bike for me, it has no kickstand)

Far away, not so bad

Up close, different story

Okay, what is this stuff? And why?

This says suntour Vx, don't know if that is good or bad

Anything I need to know before I start?

Last edited by Yip812; 07-15-08 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 07:34 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
I dont see any pics
Old 07-15-08, 07:35 PM
Yip812

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sorry, got the wrong link in there

Last edited by Yip812; 07-15-08 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 07:48 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
OK, now they're there. WOw, thats pretty dirty.
Everything I see though will most likely clean up nicely with some steel wool and some manpower.

That melted looking thing on the brake lever is the remnents of the hood, I've rescued bikes that had hoods that looked exactly like that. I'm not really sure how that happens, it almost looks melted but I think it's just corroded. Maybe something eats away at the rubber.

I'm picking up a miyata 310 or 210 tomorrow night, so we'll have to see if mine is going to be any better.

Last edited by -holiday76; 07-15-08 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 08:02 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

That hood has mold spores eating it. They will do that to bar wrap and some saddles. You can get new one, no problem.

I won't waste this space and other's time by giving you a step by step process, but PM me and I'll explain how to get it looking Pretty Darn Good. Under all that surface rust, dirt, and corrosion is a pretty thing waiting to be ridden.
Old 07-15-08, 08:04 PM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow...the brake hoods look Awesome!

The 310 is a durable ride. My daughter just finished the Adventure Cycling Lewis and Clark route (St. Louis to Portland, Oregon. She rode a Fuji Tour, but her boy friend rode a Miyata 310 (in pristine condition) with nary a break down.
Old 07-15-08, 08:14 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Sigurdd50
Wow...the brake hoods look Awesome!

The 310 is a durable ride. My daughter just finished the Adventure Cycling Lewis and Clark route (St. Louis to Portland, Oregon. She rode a Fuji Tour, but her boy friend rode a Miyata 310 (in pristine condition) with nary a break down.
Mad City biker, I see you had a snow bike, too. My brother used my Columbia paper route bike from E Johnston to the Sheraton Colisem almost daily. He never locked it and no one ever ook it.

There's got to be 2500 abandoned bikes within 2 miles of the Capitol.
Old 07-17-08, 07:02 AM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's got to be 2500 abandoned bikes within 2 miles of the Capitol.
Yeah they say Madison has more single speed/fixed gear bikes than any city in the land: by winter's end, all the geared bikes left outside over the winter (to rust) only have a single gear working.
WE are seeing a spike in bike thefts near downtown which is a drag... side effect of the gas crisis (this happened during the height of the 70's Bike Boom too)

Last edited by Sigurdd50; 07-17-08 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 03:11 PM
Yip812

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Update of sorts

I think I finally got the grease and dirt off. I took off the handlebar tape, underneath was a layer of red plastic type stuff, under that was the original (?) black foam in good condition. So, while it may not be great, it will do for now. Brake hoods had to be scraped off, and are mostly clean. Look better now, at least.

Chain is in good shape and the bike shifts flawlessly. It needs new tires, but they get to wait until next month. Might try and ride it if the back tire holds air.

Not much of an update, but I thought I'd post something so you guys didn't think I just disappeared.

Dawn
Old 07-23-08, 08:02 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Yikes, As bad as it looks outside, I bet it's in dire need of a teardown and re-lube. I would not ride very far before doing so. It will last MUCH longer!,,,,BD
Old 08-24-08, 01:17 PM
Yip812

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Brought it back to life

So, turns out it is a tad big for me. I considered selling it, but every time I think about that, I bring it out and ride it again. It is comfortable, and I like the way it rides, so, it's here to stay.

Scraped all the rust off, and gave it a crappy rattle-can paint job. I figured I wasn't going to sell it, and it can't last forever, so I wasn't going to pay a whole lot of money to fix it up. It looks good from a distance .

I'm happy with it.

And someone told me it can handle a rough road - the city decided to replace the water lines - s l o w l y - and ripped up all the streets. Goes over that stuff like a mountain bike (although I don't treat it like one), a little iffy in deep gravel, but I have managed to stay upright.

Dawn
Old 08-24-08, 01:41 PM
Yip812

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
And for the photos

Yeah, got a little carried away with the spray paint on the wheels - sanded rust off and painted with silver rustoleum. Maybe next time I'll take the tires off . Besides that, I don't think it looks bad.

Dawn
Old 08-24-08, 02:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Yip812
Picked this up at goodwill today. Body looks like crap, needs new tires, rust removal, etc. But seems to shift right, good brakes, seems like it will fit me. And, well, it was $3.99.
..... So is this (the miyata) a decent bike? ..Dawn
Oh, yeah.
Old 05-28-14, 06:04 PM
miamibeachcg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
I just got my 310 in a storage auction I won (along with a Ross Apollo 5 speed, a Specialized Stumpjumper and a Triumph 5 speed!(that's it's rear fender in photo) - they must have been collectors!). Mine also has a very weird rubber -ish looking material over the brake levers like yip812 - What is It?
I ride it everyday & love it! (although the bending over is something I'm still getting used to - anyway to sit more upright for beginners?) Hopefully the photo comes through; this is my first time here & 1st time trying to upload a photo.
PS - Love the forum!
PSS - Anyone who knows about the Triumph, I'd love to hear from you!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bicycle MIYATA 310 1 resized.jpg (105.7 KB, 955 views)
Old 03-05-19, 02:32 PM
gus3800

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I īve got a 1985 Miyata 310, all parts are original. It is a old semi-pro bike and in good conditions it works fine. No complaints about the Old Geisha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.