Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 12:50 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Yesterday my sweetie and I did 45.7 miles on the tandem. A good day.

Today I did 28.9 solo, my first ride on this '77 Gazelle Champion Mondial.

Last edited by jimmuller; 04-14-19 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 05:07 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
After a brief 16 mile ride Friday morning I followed it by a 60 mile ride Saturday morning on my cross bike. I had my clip on fender in the back. I was covered with a grimy veneer of sandy crud from head to toe and every chain link in between. I headed out right after the rain stopped and by the time I finished the roads were dry with spots of wetness and occasional puddles. In Sudbury I stopped for a break at a park and I saw the final remnants of a once mighty snow mountain. I expect that to be the last I see for the year. Today I rode another 60 but with my Seven Redsky! Way funner.
Old 04-14-19, 07:32 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Rode the Washington Secondary bike path in RI yesterday. Not at all scenic until you get to Coventry, then it's not bad. It's uphill the whole way westbound. Fortunately, we started at the eastern end so it was downhill on the way home. Not my favorite path. There isn't anywhere to stop for a coffee on the path. And I think we stopped in the one Dunkin' Donuts in America that doesn't have a bathroom. (And nowhere to lock the bikes up, so we brought them inside with us).

There were some quiet stretches without a lot of people, so I was able to ride fast in those parts. All in all, I prefer the CCRT, but it was still cold on the cape.
Old 04-15-19, 11:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by E53
My route starts off near the Auburn Mall on Pakachoag Road where the town has installed this anti-bicycle road grate.
we have one near me on Route 27 as it crosses over Route 2 in Acton, that I should report. it's the only one of it's kind that I ever see on Route 27. from casual passing observation, it looks square, so might be an easy fix to just rotate it 90 degrees

there's only 1 & it's on the East bound travel lane of 27, heading toward Boston

CREDIT: Google

https://goo.gl/maps/gQp1Q7hK9Gp

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-15-19 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-15-19, 11:33 AM
E53 
Chuggin' Along

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I reported the Auburn grate, and stressed that it is a safety hazard. I rode over the route 27 grate last weekend. That one should be reported too. Maybe the more complaints that are generated the faster they get fixed. There is another one in either Auburn or Millbury. I need to note that location so maybe that can be corrected.
Old 04-15-19, 11:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by E53
I reported the Auburn grate, and stressed that it is a safety hazard. I rode over the route 27 grate last weekend. That one should be reported too. Maybe the more complaints that are generated the faster they get fixed. There is another one in either Auburn or Millbury. I need to note that location so maybe that can be corrected.
but another reason for wider tires?
Old 04-15-19, 12:08 PM
rumrunn6

a comical wait for a stopped car

riding along the MM in Lexington on Saturday. at the parking lot, someone stopped in the "crossway". they were close to the curb so it seemed safer & easy enough to just stop & wait. don't know what took the guy in front so long but it was comical, to me. a little inconsiderate of the driver to stop where he did, but no big deal. when he started to go I passed behind him trying to stay on my side. I think some ppl were either waiting behind me or approaching from behind me, so as I passed, they tried to pass as well. don't know if they were trying to pass me, probably not. but apparently they were over on the oncoming side a smidge. enough for the guy coming toward us to say out loud a little reminder: "stay on your side please"

Old 04-16-19, 03:08 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
One disadvantage to living close to my LBS is that since it's only a kilometer away, the ride is only a kilometer. Hope it's all fixed up when I get back from travels in two weeks.

-mr. bill
Old 04-18-19, 07:49 AM
NomarsGirl

Got out for a short spin around the lake yesterday. The hills that used to seem difficult are now no problem. Maybe it's the new bike, but I'd like to think I'm getting stronger.
Old 04-18-19, 04:33 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

I did my commute today. A bit of rain at the start of both morning and evening runs, but otherwise uneventful. Traffic was light but seemingly frenetic when I started home. Gotta get home! Storm is coming! Gotta get home! Easter is coming! Gotta get home now! Ho hum, another commute.
Old 04-19-19, 05:39 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Random question - does any one have any experience - positive or negative - with the "Critical Mass" rides the last Fridays of the month?
Old 04-19-19, 05:44 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
One disadvantage to living close to my LBS is that since it's only a kilometer away, the ride is only a kilometer. Hope it's all fixed up when I get back from travels in two weeks.

-mr. bill
How's PT going, mr. bill?
Old 04-19-19, 08:12 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
How's PT going, mr. bill?
Next PT is in May, so right now all homework. Working up to standing up on my left tippy-toes. Two days on, one day off. (Yup, a recovery day.) But crossing the international dateline is messing that up right now. I don’t even know how to handle the return, where I will arrive in Boston ten minutes before I will leave Tokyo.

They let me bring my poles on the trip in case I need them. Will see how I’m feeling the day after tomorrow (it’s already tomorrow here) after I get a proper night’s sleep.

-mr. bill
Old 04-22-19, 07:50 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Wife and I did a ride on Sunday to Great Brook Farm State Park to check out the price of loam - I know, weird, but it was a really practical reason to ride there. Strange weather that day, gray, cool one moment hot the other, with some surprise sprinkles. Nice quiet roads with many other cyclists present. First time this season that I took my road bike outside and I was flying! All in all we clocked in just a hair under 30 miles after which the wife had to take an emergency nap and I drove with our daughter back to Great Brook to actually buy the loam - and let her feed the animals. There were hundreds of frogs out on the little pond trying to mate, creating such a cacophony that my toddler said her ears were ringing. Saw a couple of snakes too, including the biggest snake I've seen in my life in the wild - more than an inch in diameter, even bigger than what I've seen in California. And in this state to boot! In actuality, it was a very nice, pleasant afternoon out there. Saw some bike trail signs and people on mountain bikes which reminds me that I need to put the gravel tires back on my adventure bike and head out there.
Old 04-22-19, 10:27 AM
blisandt

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW! Here's my second post! (I just joined!)
GREAT TO SEE SO MANY LOCALS!

I am an abutter to a short section of a rail trail.. which I use for my commute... but haven't tested it with my new bent yet! (Rans VRex 2005)

I don't know if I will ever rack up the miles the rest of you do... a 14m day is to work, home "for lunch" (to let the dogs out), back, and home!

I need to read more than the first few entries of this thread, but I am out of time right now!

COME ON SPRINGTIME!
Old 04-22-19, 10:35 AM
blisandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by E53
Do you use ClickFix to report these issues? My town seems VERY responsive to those entries!
Old 04-22-19, 10:43 AM
blisandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Random question - does any one have any experience - positive or negative - with the "Critical Mass" rides the last Fridays of the month?
No experience - glad to learn about them here!

I was going to try out the Cambridge Ride on May 18 as my first such ride.
Old 04-22-19, 03:00 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by blisandt
WOW! Here's my second post! (I just joined!)
GREAT TO SEE SO MANY LOCALS!

I am an abutter to a short section of a rail trail.. which I use for my commute... but haven't tested it with my new bent yet! (Rans VRex 2005)

I don't know if I will ever rack up the miles the rest of you do... a 14m day is to work, home "for lunch" (to let the dogs out), back, and home!

I need to read more than the first few entries of this thread, but I am out of time right now!

COME ON SPRINGTIME!
Hi @blisandt,

Are you new this area and/or cycling? I always like to make some introductory remarks:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
For a nice, friendly Metro Boston hang out on BikeForums, see this thread on the Regional Discussion Forum, “Metro Boston: Good ride today? (link),” started in 2009, with over 7000 replies.
I like to write up my rides, as do others on a local discussion thread here in Boston, and for me, it’s more a journal for myself, than for the amusement of other subscribers, though I hope others would find it interesting.

Of course we in Metro Boston all know the region, and each other, at least electronically, so we are a ready receptive audience for each other.

I have thought of that thread as the cycling equivalent of “apres-ski” after a day on the slopes, where we gather to exchange stories, routes, photos, ribbing, and (?) tall tales.

Also, I have posted a Cyclists Guide to Metro Boston (link), with information about road cycling, bikepaths, and taking your bike on the (T) (subway) and Commuter Rail.
BTW, I don’t list my location under my avatar, but it is “D’uh” [in Kenmore Square].

Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Whenever I see a series of nested quotes, I think "it's Jim from 'Duh' again."
Old 04-24-19, 04:55 PM
blisandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jim

I guess I am new to cycling - never did it much... always had some kind of bike... or a few. I even have a hand-peddle wheelchair (it hasn't been out on the road much recently)!

In my now "pre-retirement" job (a short commute), I try to work in that refreshing method of breaking up the day... even if I have to switch to a car when I am home for lunch (to let the dogs out)... because I often have errands to do on the way home.

Thank you for the welcome. I will work to get the knack of posting... and I'll be working up my bravery on my Rans V-Rex 2005 too!
Old 04-25-19, 11:42 AM
NomarsGirl

If I fell and hit my head hard enough to put a dent in my helmet, I need to get a new one right?
Old 04-25-19, 12:18 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
If I fell and hit my head hard enough to put a dent in my helmet, I need to get a new one right?
Depends on which way you fell left or right only kidding I believe the answer is yes
Old 04-25-19, 12:41 PM
NomarsGirl

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Depends on which way you fell left or right only kidding I believe the answer is yes
Even my husband acknowledges the helmet is done. And he doesn't believe in them. He had to come get me. My left knee and elbow were bleeding. I had no desire to even try to make it home. Stupid sand!
Old 04-26-19, 05:00 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Even my husband acknowledges the helmet is done. And he doesn't believe in them. He had to come get me. My left knee and elbow were bleeding. I had no desire to even try to make it home. Stupid sand!
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

I gather your replace-the-helmet question wasn't purely hypothetical. Heal up quickly.
Old 04-26-19, 08:40 AM
rumrunn6

get well soon. yeah stupid sand! hope you have no lingering after effects that require medical attention. my Wife crashed her bike last summer, broke her wrist, then after that healed needed carpal tunnel release surgery

how's the new bike?
Old 04-26-19, 09:00 AM
NomarsGirl

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
get well soon. yeah stupid sand! hope you have no lingering after effects that require medical attention. my Wife crashed her bike last summer, broke her wrist, then after that healed needed carpal tunnel release surgery

how's the new bike?
The bike is fine - it landed on top of me. And I just have a skinned knee and a skinned elbow. I'll be back out there as soon as I get a new helmet. I'll probably stop by the LBS today to get one. I just bought mine 2 weeks ago! I guess I'm glad I got a properly fitting helmet since it was the first time I've fallen off a bike in 40 years and I did hit my head on the ground pretty hard.

It was such a beautiful day yesterday too! I was really hoping to get a nice long ride in. Instead I crash 5 miles from home and needed to be rescued.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.