Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Diverge for 2015?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-26-14, 05:30 PM
Tumbalascasa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone read anything about this new bike coming out in 2015? I am confused as to where this bike fits in the line up? It's almost like a Roubaix and kinda like a Tricross. Who will and why would you buy this bike and not one of the others?
Old 07-26-14, 06:17 PM
rpeterson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it's supposed to be like a road version of a cross bike. Road geometry with cross parts, so like an off-road capable Roubaix rather than a road worthy tricross.
Old 07-26-14, 08:33 PM
Jay Olson

Bikes: Sarto Asola, Colnago EPS, Specialized Crux Sport E5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many were hoping that it would be a "Gravel Bike", whatever that means. However, the indications are that the max tire size is 35mm, and the wheelbase is shorter than the Crux, so it is a bit of a let-down as a "Gravel Bike". When I heard about his bike, I was quite interested, but now that I have seen the specs, I am leaning towards a Crux.

It seems to be more of an Adventure/Touring/Commuting bike. Perhaps the main difference compared to the TriCross is that the bottom bracket is lower and the frame is available in carbon fiber. Compared to the Roubaix, the bottom bracket is also lower, and it probably has room for larger tires, as well as fender and rack mounts.
Old 07-26-14, 08:55 PM
bikefoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a good bike for me!
Old 07-27-14, 05:00 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Believe it will be a very good bike. I admit to being a bit astounded by all the gradations of bikes available from the big S. Did Specialized really need another bike when they have the Roubaix and the Crux...both available with disk brakes and the ability to navigate gravel, dirt and single track?
Some seriously deep pockets apparently Specialized has to tool up for even another niche bike with perhaps a more limited demographic and sales.
My thoughts.
Old 07-27-14, 12:47 PM
bikefoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also saw the GT Grade looks really good.
Old 07-27-14, 01:26 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
people like to think they are going to do something "rugged" with their bikes, so manufacturer's are stepping up to give them what they want. i guess for the crowd that shells out an extra 10-15 grand for 4WD vehicles to cart their kids around to soccer practice in Glendale, Ca. as you can see, i'm not a fan.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 07-27-14 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-27-14, 01:56 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Olson
Many were hoping that it would be a "Gravel Bike", whatever that means. However, the indications are that the max tire size is 35mm, and the wheelbase is shorter than the Crux, so it is a bit of a let-down as a "Gravel Bike". When I heard about his bike, I was quite interested, but now that I have seen the specs, I am leaning towards a Crux.

It seems to be more of an Adventure/Touring/Commuting bike. Perhaps the main difference compared to the TriCross is that the bottom bracket is lower and the frame is available in carbon fiber. Compared to the Roubaix, the bottom bracket is also lower, and it probably has room for larger tires, as well as fender and rack mounts.
I agree! I'm happy to see more jack of all trade bikes appearing. For the vast majority of riders, they're all one could ever need or want in a bike. A road bike is like a Ferrari - sleek and fast. A country/adventure bike will be more like an SUV. Not light but comfortable, stable and very capable.
Old 07-27-14, 02:13 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon 2015:

Sweet rig!
Old 07-27-14, 02:17 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tumbalascasa
Has anyone read anything about this new bike coming out in 2015? I am confused as to where this bike fits in the line up? It's almost like a Roubaix and kinda like a Tricross. Who will and why would you buy this bike and not one of the others?
You'd buy it to be cool, to conquer the city and the back roads and to simply have a do it all bike in your bike stable.
Old 07-27-14, 02:27 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
GT Grade:

This is the carbon model with a Shimano 105 groupset. The Shimano Ultegra is a premium upgrade.

Last edited by NormanF; 07-27-14 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-27-14, 02:45 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Basically a Roubaix carbon frame with a shorter reach and loads of tire and mud clearance. Its not your grandpappy's CX bike. The geometry is more relaxed and forgiving for all day rides on rough roads and non-technical singletrack.
Old 07-27-14, 07:34 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NormanF
Basically a Roubaix carbon frame with a shorter reach and loads of tire and mud clearance.
The Roubaix disc will actually clear a 32-35mm tire. Even the Roubaix with rim brakes will fit a 30mm tire. Seems a bit odd to make an off road bike like the Diverge that doesn't fit 40's.
Old 07-27-14, 07:39 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
The Roubaix disc will actually clear a 32-35mm tire. Even the Roubaix with rim brakes will fit a 30mm tire. Seems a bit odd to make an off road bike like the Diverge that doesn't fit 40's.
Could be more but this bike has fender/rack mounts so its clearly designed with commuting in mind as well. Specialized wanted to build a bike that would be good on road and also go off road too and to save on cash, they chose to go with the Roubaix platform than develop an entirely new country/adventure bike platform from scratch.
Old 07-27-14, 07:57 PM
bikefoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GT Grade:

This is the carbon model with a Shimano 105 groupset. The Shimano Ultegra is a premium upgrade.
It looks so gooood...
Old 07-28-14, 04:20 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Lots of love for the GT Grade in the review here:
2015 GT Grade Gravel Road Bike | Bicycling Magazine

Personally, I prefer an endurance road bike aka Roubaix for all around riding as I try to avoid the dirt. When I did ride rutted and stutter bump dirt which was last year before I moved, I prefer a light 29er with Nanoraptor 50mm tires and flat handlebar for better control and to me comfort. I could rip the rough stuff on that bike without beating up my body.

GT Grade:

Last edited by Campag4life; 07-28-14 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-29-14, 12:43 PM
TorontoCommuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's an interesting bike, but I agree, Specialized seems to have too many offerings, and with so many options it's really confusing. Last year I was looking for a commuting/ winter training bike and wanted something with a drop handlebar, disc-brakes and the ability to take rack and fender mounts, preferably relatively light weight in carbon or aluminum/carbon. I looked a lot at cross bikes, but ended up getting a Specialized Secteur Expert with discs. Great bike for commuting, and doing some training while commuting during the week. Unfortunately, never got the chance to ride in the winter, as I was hit and the bike totalled.

I replaced the bike with the 2014 Giant TCX SLR 2, and have used this bike all fall, winter, spring and now summer. I've used it for winter training rides and commuting with the Roubaix 25/28 tires, commuted all winter on ice and snow with studded tires (700x40 Kenda and Happekelita's) raced in spring races (Paris-Ancaster, Steaming Nostril) with the stock CX tires (700x35) , and am back commuting and just doing some trail riding on a new set of Clement LAS (700x33).

I think the draw of a bike like the Diverge is that it can be one bike to do it all, just throw on different sets of tires (less expensive) or wheels (more expensive). It just seems to me that Specialized has too many options now...Secteur, Tricross, AWOL, Crux, Roubaix Disc, Tarmac Disc,?

The Diverge does incorporate many new technologies (hydro discs, through axles) , so I think we may see the AWOL and Tricross disappear, and the Diverge appeal to the adventure/commute/winter training crowd who want to also dabble in some CX, with the Crux aimed as a dedicated CX race machine. Either way, looks like an interesting bike...
Old 07-29-14, 06:23 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I agree that with a second set of wheels with traditional road tires, it would be a perfect road bike. For hard core roadies, the appeal of a do it all bike means they save substantial cash. If you were torn in the past between a road bike and an MTB/CX bike, now you really can have it all...
Old 07-29-14, 07:51 PM
Jay Olson

Bikes: Sarto Asola, Colnago EPS, Specialized Crux Sport E5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Info is up now on Specialized's U.S. web site: Specialized Bicycle Components

Anyone know if they will be available in Canada? My local Specialized dealer was not sure.
Old 07-29-14, 08:16 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Olson
Info is up now on Specialized's U.S. web site: Specialized Bicycle Components

Anyone know if they will be available in Canada? My local Specialized dealer was not sure.
Here's all their 2015 bikes:

Specialized Bicycle Components

S
Old 07-29-14, 08:23 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The Diverge is intended for road bike riders who want a familiar bike but don't want to do hardcore CX racing.... so its going to appeal to a market that's interested in singletrack riding that's not overly technical....
Old 07-29-14, 09:31 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The bike looks not bad.
Old 11-23-14, 07:28 PM
BillinPA

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Smartweld,Specialized Sirrus Sport, Townie 7D, Specialized crave comp 29er

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Has anyone seen one in the flesh yet? I am interested and think it would be a great bike to ride chip seal/ bumpy roads and bike paths.
Old 11-24-14, 05:39 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike shop told me two weeks ago that it would be in the week of Thanksgiving. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 11-24-14, 10:01 PM
isberg

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Trek DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diverge carbons are delayed until at least X-mas, could be January. Apparently a few have trickled out to shops, but most were pushed out.

SPECIALIZED | Diverge Availability Update

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.