Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 02-16-18, 11:07 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Could it be that tire and/or rim manufacturing techniques and tolerances are better? I recall being able to mount a new Conti tire with only hands in the 90s and early 2000s. But in the past 10 years or more, I have to fight to get them on even using shop quality tire levers. Cursing. Once I got so pissed I took it to a local bike shop and had absolutely no shame at all paying another man to mount a tire for me.

Most recently, it took me over 30 minutes to mount the two Vittoria tires on my training wheels a couple of months ago. Hands were sore afterwards.
I feel you there. I've driven begrudgingly to the repair shop before to have this done, and to my embarrassment had to watch a young kid mount the tire in 30 seconds. :-) Must be an art form. I had to start wearing leather gloves for this same reason. I was tearing the crap out of my hands trying to get the last 6 inches of the tire over the rim. Have you tried using a blow dryer to heat the tire up so it stretches easier? I've heard of guys setting their tires on those old fashioned radiators for a while before mounting.
Old 02-16-18, 11:29 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't tell my wife, but I put new Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR clinchers in the clothes dryer for several minutes to warm them up before mounting. These tires are tubeless ready (but I run latex tubes) and are particularly tough to get on. Even warmed up, I need one of these to get them on.
Old 02-17-18, 04:09 AM
Monkeyfudger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don’t even talk to me about tubeless Vittoria Speed’s, I’ve been racing on the road on them for a year now.

Absolutely awesome tyres, stupidly fast and they feel amazing but damn, getting them mounted on my wheels was a complete nightmare.

Using Tyre levers on a full carbon rim had my bum hole puckering, I was sweating like I’d just come out of the sauna!! I recently had to remove the rear Tyre to replace the sealant as I’d let it go flat over the winter, didn’t have a syringe to remove the old sealant and popping the bead to pour it out like I do on the MTB is impossible....

I’m still a full noob on the track but running the new Vittoria Pista clinchers, they feel good. Weirdly I did have an inner tube blow for no apaparent reason in the car which popped the bead off the first time I used ‘em. Unnerved me a good bit but haven’t had a problem since, the tube had been sat for a long time wrapped in an old coffee bag strapped to my training bike though!

If I eventually buy something nice and aero for the front of the bike it’ll probably just be a Clincher as dealing with tubs is crap, I’d never run tubeless on the track though.

I’ve got a rear disc that I’ll eventually use on the track that’s a tub, meh......

Last edited by Monkeyfudger; 02-17-18 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-17-18, 11:21 AM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkeyfudger
Don’t even talk to me about tubeless Vittoria Speed’s, I’ve been racing on the road on them for a year now.

Absolutely awesome tyres, stupidly fast and they feel amazing but damn, getting them mounted on my wheels was a complete nightmare.

Using Tyre levers on a full carbon rim had my bum hole puckering, I was sweating like I’d just come out of the sauna!! I recently had to remove the rear Tyre to replace the sealant as I’d let it go flat over the winter, didn’t have a syringe to remove the old sealant and popping the bead to pour it out like I do on the MTB is impossible....

I’m still a full noob on the track but running the new Vittoria Pista clinchers, they feel good. Weirdly I did have an inner tube blow for no apaparent reason in the car which popped the bead off the first time I used ‘em. Unnerved me a good bit but haven’t had a problem since, the tube had been sat for a long time wrapped in an old coffee bag strapped to my training bike though!

If I eventually buy something nice and aero for the front of the bike it’ll probably just be a Clincher as dealing with tubs is crap, I’d never run tubeless on the track though.

I’ve got a rear disc that I’ll eventually use on the track that’s a tub, meh......
Noobie here as well, coming from the Time Trial and Road world. It's weird how some wheels/tire combination are such a ***** and it doesn't appear to be correlated to wheel/tire width. I have the 60mm Rovals on my Venge and use Conti Grand Prix II 23mms, and I can put those things on in my sleep with no tools. However, the original DT Swiss on my KTM road bike with the same tires were horrendous to put on, and these are all just clinchers! I noticed the DT Swiss on my BMC trackmachine were hard to mount as well, as well as my HED Tri-spoke track clincher....no rhyme or reason to it.

Regarding the gear, all I can say is that I thought it would be fairly straight forward to get into track --- 2 bikes later, aerobars, front and back disks, front and back tri spokes, power meters, upgraded seats, and minus enough cash to practically buy a new car, I'm finally ready! Good thing I'm not married. I'd be in the doghouse for AT LEAST a year after this madness. ;-)
Old 02-17-18, 12:16 PM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Rear wheel skipping

I’ve got an issue with standing starts where my rear wheel is bouncing up and skipping as I drive over the first half lap. Looking for ideas for reasons why. I know without video it’s hard to give exacts so looking for general ideas.

One suggestion was tyre pressure as I’m running at the maximum of the tubs (215psi) which is probably excessive.

Anything else obvious?
Old 02-17-18, 02:36 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Could it be that tire and/or rim manufacturing techniques and tolerances are better? I recall being able to mount a new Conti tire with only hands in the 90s and early 2000s. But in the past 10 years or more, I have to fight to get them on even using shop quality tire levers. Cursing. Once I got so pissed I took it to a local bike shop and had absolutely no shame at all paying another man to mount a tire for me.

Most recently, it took me over 30 minutes to mount the two Vittoria tires on my training wheels a couple of months ago. Hands were sore afterwards.
I had difficulty fitting Conti 4000 II tires on my Shimano Ultegra wheels (they are now tubed/tubeless capable) and installing tires on a fleet of track bikes.. My LBS owner showed me how to install tires, using a technique similar to how tubulars are installed, and I've never had a problem since. Also I use Vittoria ultralite inner tubes on my own bikes because when slightly inflated it has a small diameter.

Update: I searched YouTube and found this video - the first hint is basically the technique I described above.

Last edited by 700wheel; 02-17-18 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 03:20 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ruudlaff
I’ve got an issue with standing starts where my rear wheel is bouncing up and skipping as I drive over the first half lap. Looking for ideas for reasons why. I know without video it’s hard to give exacts so looking for general ideas.

One suggestion was tyre pressure as I’m running at the maximum of the tubs (215psi) which is probably excessive.

Anything else obvious?
Without seeing you, the first thing that comes to mind is that you are leaning too far forward up to or over the front wheel.

I had this issue when I was riding a 57cm frame. I now ride a 61cm. I'm not suggesting that you need a new frame. Just saying that my problem started with a too-small frame.
Old 02-17-18, 06:12 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Without seeing you, the first thing that comes to mind is that you are leaning too far forward up to or over the front wheel.

I had this issue when I was riding a 57cm frame. I now ride a 61cm. I'm not suggesting that you need a new frame. Just saying that my problem started with a too-small frame.
I also immediately wondered if your bars might be too low. This has happened to me in the past as well.
Old 02-17-18, 06:27 PM
ruudlaff

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I also immediately wondered if your bars might be too low. This has happened to me in the past as well.
This could be a fair point actually. I have recently just went up to a 56-57 TT frame (only 5’8”) but it is much lower stack than my previous frame so you may be on to something there
Old 02-17-18, 06:51 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Are you straight arming your starts and staying over the seat for the first few strokes?
Old 02-18-18, 05:20 AM
ruudlaff

Originally Posted by taras0000
Are you straight arming your starts and staying over the seat for the first few strokes?
A very good question. Will see f I can find any pictures to check
Old 02-18-18, 05:23 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Check this page out. Same problem with a good breakdown/explanarion. https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/198624/
Old 02-18-18, 08:36 PM
Nate2453

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carleton,

I think specifications for tubeless might be different than older tires, but I don't think tires have changed much from the ETRTO standards of years ago. the tight tires you may have experienced may have drifted toward the tight end of the spectrum as the wheel is at the high end of the spectrum as well, leading to a tight fitting pair.

That said after 12 years in a bike shop I rarely meet a tire I can't get on a wheel by hand.

Nate
Old 02-18-18, 08:41 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Nate2453
Carleton,

I think specifications for tubeless might be different than older tires, but I don't think tires have changed much from the ETRTO standards of years ago. the tight tires you may have experienced may have drifted toward the tight end of the spectrum as the wheel is at the high end of the spectrum as well, leading to a tight fitting pair.

That said after 12 years in a bike shop I rarely meet a tire I can't get on a wheel by hand.

Nate
Thanks, Nate! I've never heard of ETRTO until this post. I searched and found a bit of information.

So, how do you deal with, say, new Conti GP4000 or a Conti Trainer Tire? Any special tricks? or just brute force with super thumbs?
Old 02-18-18, 09:48 PM
JimiMimni

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contis and WTBs are almost always tight. The more of the bead you can get in to the rim channel the better they'll go over the rim. It won't be easy, though. Gluing Conti tubs are the WORST.
Old 02-19-18, 09:10 AM
Nate2453

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carleton,

Don't use your thumbs, use the ridge of the pads of your knuckles to roll the tire on. For me it is like rolling my fingers into a fist around the tire. i use that ridge to grip the tire and roll the tire on.

All of the above only works if you get one bead on, and make sure the tube (slightly inflated) is centered over the rim, not half in half out. When you go to put the second bead on you have to start at the valve and work away from the valve. The valve area is the tightest area on the wheel.
Old 02-20-18, 09:26 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 77 Posts
A couple of years ago I built a set of clincher training wheels and had some unsettling experiences with them. When I would turn hard on the track it would feel like the tire was rolling off the rim. I switched back to tubulars and haven't looked back.

Nate
I'm also a larger cyclist, and I used to deal with the same issue even when using really high pressures in the tires. The solution is a wider rim. I've been using these as training wheels for my track bike and road bike and it really has been a game changer. I can run a 23 or 25 mm tire at 100psi (home track is bumpy abd lower pressure really smooths it out a bit) and they feel absolutely rock solid. No flex whatsoever. Kinlin XR31T Tubeless Ready Rim - $74.95
Old 02-20-18, 09:54 AM
carleton
Elitist

Carleton,

Don't use your thumbs, use the ridge of the pads of your knuckles to roll the tire on. For me it is like rolling my fingers into a fist around the tire. i use that ridge to grip the tire and roll the tire on.

All of the above only works if you get one bead on, and make sure the tube (slightly inflated) is centered over the rim, not half in half out. When you go to put the second bead on you have to start at the valve and work away from the valve. The valve area is the tightest area on the wheel.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by theblackbullet
I'm also a larger cyclist, and I used to deal with the same issue even when using really high pressures in the tires. The solution is a wider rim. I've been using these as training wheels for my track bike and road bike and it really has been a game changer. I can run a 23 or 25 mm tire at 100psi (home track is bumpy abd lower pressure really smooths it out a bit) and they feel absolutely rock solid. No flex whatsoever. Kinlin XR31T Tubeless Ready Rim - $74.95
I've only felt that feeling when using a set of tubulars that had been in used for a lot of miles. I could push the tires over and see the base tape staying down on the rim but the tire would move some. It was a an almost-fishtail type feeling when diving into a turn.

The setup that I felt it on was:
- Velocity Deep-V tubular rim.
- Conti Sprinter tires that were on their 2nd season.
- 140PSI.
- 32/36 spoke front/rear Dura Ace hubs
Old 02-20-18, 11:06 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 77 Posts
Thanks!

I've only felt that feeling when using a set of tubulars that had been in used for a lot of miles. I could push the tires over and see the base tape staying down on the rim but the tire would move some. It was a an almost-fishtail type feeling when diving into a turn.

The setup that I felt it on was:
- Velocity Deep-V tubular rim.
- Conti Sprinter tires that were on their 2nd season.
- 140PSI.
- 32/36 spoke front/rear Dura Ace hubs
Same feeling! I had an issue with the base tape coming off of a conti sprinter on my rear disc at the last pro race of the year at DLV. Felt weird taking 3,4 at 35ish mph so I inspected it. Noticed the problem and removed from the bike immediately.
Old 02-20-18, 02:00 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
Same feeling! I had an issue with the base tape coming off of a conti sprinter on my rear disc at the last pro race of the year at DLV. Felt weird taking 3,4 at 35ish mph so I inspected it. Noticed the problem and removed from the bike immediately.
man at DLV, it feels weird taking turns 3-4 at 35ish mph anyway.
Old 02-20-18, 03:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by queerpunk
man at DLV, it feels weird taking turns 3-4 at 35ish mph anyway.
Try 40

The point where the track meets the apron isn't a smooth transition. It's a v-shaped crack. Just thinking about it will cost you a few MPH as you pucker-up.
Old 02-20-18, 05:09 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
hmm, lemme see - according to my data, i hit 67.5 kph at some point during the PRS omnium in July

it also feels like the radius is variable, and like it's shortest right in the middle of turns 3 and 4, so you really dip down and change direction hard and fast.
Old 02-20-18, 08:26 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Just thinking about it will cost you a few MPH as you pucker-up.
Since when has "butt-pucker" been an excuse for not performing your best?

Edit: maybe back in the day when soda-loading was a thing.

Last edited by taras0000; 02-20-18 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 06:52 PM
fixedmystic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Well, if your bike has a SEAT MAST, then you won't be able to use a seat post. Is it the mast that is broken, or just the topper?
It is the topper that goes over the mast that is broken
Old 02-22-18, 08:17 PM
Altimis

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey guys, want to toss some randoms question here, I wonder.

What is your food supplements? this question probably belonged to Training/Nutrition forum but want to ask here because I been to local Track Velodrome recently.

I been experiments with Creatine, BCAAs (Xtend) and Whey Proteins atm. I never thought about food supplements like before... its give me decent result.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.