Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

75 or 76 18.5 inch Eisentraut Limited

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 01:16 PM
Mark MacKenzie

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
75 or 76 18.5 inch Eisentraut Limited

Great forum here.

A friend asked me to look at her old bike to see if it can be brought back to life after sitting for close to 30 years, maybe more.

I will post pics later this week. I was surprised when I saw the Eisentraut decal, "Oakland". It is a LIMITED.

The bike is quite small, 18.5" center of crank to center of top tube.

Components look to be Dura Ace but no model numbers. The tires are sew ons and look to be toast.

When I have pencil and pad I will write down all the details.

I have searched here and Ebay for completed listings but got none. I would appreciate opinions on value.

I will clean carefully the bike and get some tires on it for her as well as grease the bearings.

Pics in the next few days. Thanks, Mark
Old 08-31-10, 10:09 AM
Mark MacKenzie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anybody? IS this a $300 bike? a $1000 bike? She's not selling just wondering.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-31-10, 10:52 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
There's a '75 Eisentraut A frame on ebay right now at $789 with time to go. Just a guess, but a Limited frame in the same shape might go for half of an A model?

Old DA components are worth something as well, but I've no idea a value to put on the group.

18.5" frame might actually be a bonus. Smaller frames can usually get a premium, but I don't know if that one is below the normal small.

In any sale, condition is key, and you've really not given us a lot of clues here.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 08-31-10, 02:24 PM
hiero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
There's a '75 Eisentraut A frame on ebay right now at $789 with time to go. Just a guess, but a Limited frame in the same shape might go for half of an A model?

Old DA components are worth something as well, but I've no idea a value to put on the group.

18.5" frame might actually be a bonus. Smaller frames can usually get a premium, but I don't know if that one is below the normal small.

In any sale, condition is key, and you've really not given us a lot of clues here.
I remember Eisentraut's as top of the line, custom frames. I would shudder to think that the frame alone (in good, rideable condition, with no components) might sell for less than 300. If I were trying to sell it on ebay, and it weren't selling, I would definitely reconsider my listing, and try other sales techniques. With components, I would start at twice that. Depending, of course, depending, on componentry, condition, all that.

But you really aren't looking at selling, right? Well, an Eisentraut, like I said, I recall as top-of-the-line, and with a repaint and getting it back on the road, will be the envy of any group ride. It will turn heads in bicycle circles. If you waited until the right buyer came along, a restored bike of this era, with the original level of quality, and cared for so it is looking sharp, could fetch well over 1K.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Last edited by hiero; 08-31-10 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 04:43 PM
Mark MacKenzie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank y'all... Yes, Good information. I have only recently heard of custom frame builders and Eisentraut. Please excuse the ignorance. Its more a matter of her feeling good that the bike her ex ex ex boyfriend helped her get is a good collectible bike. I am interested just to know more about bicycles in general.

If I can figure it out, I will post pics......

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
eisentraut..jpg (78.7 KB, 34 views)
logo..jpg (33.3 KB, 28 views)
Crank..jpg (54.1 KB, 30 views)
logo2..jpg (95.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-31-10, 04:49 PM
Mark MacKenzie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bike is actually a 19inch center to top of seat tube.

Components are all Dura Ace except the Sakae bars, SR Seat post, Tange Falcon head set, umm I think thats its. Oh, the rims are MAVIC Competition du Monde. Rear derailer is a Shimano CRANE. From what I've read, I would have expected Campy but maybe these components aren't original to Eisentraut?

Thanks for help,
Mark
Old 08-31-10, 07:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,702 Times in 2,522 Posts
I expect there were as many Dura Ace equipped Eisentrauts as anything else. When an earlier post said it had Dura Ace, it didn't surprise me at all.