Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Klein Performance - sell bike or part it out?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 08:41 PM
rickm45

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I have a 1985 Klein Performance road bike. I bought it as frame & fork and finished it with:

* Campy Record
headset (supplied with frame),
52/42 crank,
f/r hubs
* Suntour Superbe
brakes,
levers,
front & rear der
* Cinelli 63-38 handlebars and stem
* Dura-Ace seat post
* Modolo downtube shifters (supplied with frame)
* Mavic G 40 rims

Given it's age, it really doesn't have many miles on it. Given my age, I am riding recumbents now, or I would convert to a SS or...

I am trying to decide whether to sell complete or to part it out. Here in western Wisconsin, the vintage/retro scene is pretty small. My guess is maybe $250 as a complete bike. I could part it out, individually the parts are easier to ship and I can get a much wider audience on ebay. I would expect to get more for the parts, maybe have a frame left that I can give to one of the local community bike shops.

Thanks for any ideas,
Rick
Old 03-18-15, 08:45 AM
rickm45

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Any comments?

Can I get $150 for the wheels? Campy Record hubs, Mavic G40 rims, w/tires, solid and true.

Going rate for
* Campy Record 52/42 crankset? I think I have the original box too.
* Cinelli 63-38 handlebars and stem?

Seems like I could have $250 with those 3, then sell the frame cheap or give to local bicycle recycling shop.

Am I way off?

Thanks, Rick
Old 03-18-15, 01:21 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
You are not going to get values here without actual pictures. Kleins in general are desirable. The more flamboyant the paint, the better. Condition is everything.

Going rate? Check completed items on ebay that have sold, not current dreamland asking prices. Local sale of components, depending where you live will only bring a small fraction of ebay price. Around here, desirable components will bring about 10% of ebay actual sales prices. Great for buyers, lousy for sellers.

On wheels, condition of rims are everything. I have had to sell Record hubs separately, as the rims showed quite a bit of wear. Realize shipping complete wheels costs a lot more than the cost to ship hubs.

And of course, selling on ebay means you have to be willing and able to ship at a low cost. Local pickup only = forget ebay, total waste of time. Also realize ebay will take a slice out of every sale, figure 15% to 20%, depending on the item. In my case it is still worth it as my items will sell for 10X the price.

Given the mix of parts, a part out may make sense. Superbe, Campy, and Dura Ace parts are all desirable. Mixed up on a single bike they tend to hurt value.

Last edited by wrk101; 03-18-15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 10:08 AM
Alleycatdad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't pm you but drop me an email. Stuff at alleycatdad.com
Old 04-01-15, 06:51 AM
Evets27

Bikes: Cube, Giant, an unknown old MTB, Bianchi Racing Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have pics ?
Old 04-01-15, 12:17 PM
Frenchosa

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are a lot of Klein lovers at RetrobikeUK. You should advertise it there. If you want to maximize profit, splitting is the way to go. Clean and shine those parts before selling. I have Superbee brakes on my bike, they shine up great. I am slightly interested in the levers. You could also advertise here for the parts.
Old 04-01-15, 01:30 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
yes, all about the market. around san francisco bike parts for sale local (on craigslist and small shops) are actually more expensive than ebay. If I were you I would try and sell it as a full bike: parting will get you more money but count up the effort and time to take the bike apart, list each item, box and ship each item etc... IF you actually are in need of the maximum money go for it. If not, let someone else have a nice bike and use that saved time to go for a ride.
Old 04-01-15, 02:03 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Part that sucker out! klein bikes were innovative, some of the best of their time. Loved mine! Didn't buy or sell te frame for much though. Probably do better in parts.