Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What e-bike should I get? Please advice.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

What e-bike should I get? Please advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 11:57 AM
chalex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crilex
hi Radroad. I did my research and a class III bike here in Georgia is what I need.

I think @Doc_Wui's recommendations is something that really meets my needs. It's very fast and the battery lasts longer than its competitors.

Anyone here has the Juiced CrossCurrent X bike?

Kinda pricey, so I was not able to find many reviews online.

Thank you ALL for the advices.
I have the Juiced CrossCurrent Air (two models ago) and it's holding up well. A friend has the CrossCurrent S (one model ago) and he likes it and he does almost 30mi one direction commute to work. My commute is only around 5mi one way. You should be able to find some random YouTube videos from owners of these bikes.

Mine goes only up to ~19-20mph by throttle only; and I get around 20mi range in "S" max assist mode, ~28mph with hard pedaling. Have never tried going further. I think the X has a bigger battery by default. You can contact Juiced support and ask them questions directly also.
Old 08-08-19, 07:07 PM
D14ROCKS
D14rocks

Bikes: Swinn chopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great websites Thanks for posting.
Old 12-12-19, 07:58 AM
iik

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Arrow Cowboy vs VanMoof Electrified S2

Hello there,

I’m interested in purchasing a new e-bike and I’ve noticed that the market is pretty saturated with all sorts of bikes. I’ve heard people that brought bikes for $8oo and their batteries only lasts 3-4 miles on a full charge – that’s ridiculous.

Interesting is that I’ve not heard of a brand that stands out from the crowd and I’d like to hear your opinion in this regard.

I’m currently looking for an e-bike that has a motor of 1000W and minimum 60 miles range that has all 3 modes of riding: normal pedaling, pedal assist, and only the motor. When I say 60 miles range or greater on a full charge I’m actually looking for only the motor to provide me that. I know the bike should have a large battery, which means it will be somewhat heavier, but I’m fine with that. I'm okay with speeds 30 mph or higher.

I live in an area with lots of hills and that is my main reason for wanting an e-bike.

Budget: max $5ooo

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
If you are still looking and could be considering 2019 models and you are selecting an e-bike for the city mostly, Cowboy or VanMoof S2 could be good options.
Both are connected e-bikes, and you can manage them with your smartphone.

Cowboy’s price is quite a bit lower - 1990 euros, but VanMoof S2 has its own advantages.
Two are quite comparable and it is a matter of preference at the end.

If you search for "Cowboy vs VanMoof Electrified S2: Connected City e-Bikes", you will come across a good review
Old 12-12-19, 08:02 AM
iik

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Moustache e-bikes

Hello there,

I’m interested in purchasing a new e-bike and I’ve noticed that the market is pretty saturated with all sorts of bikes. I’ve heard people that brought bikes for $8oo and their batteries only lasts 3-4 miles on a full charge – that’s ridiculous.

Interesting is that I’ve not heard of a brand that stands out from the crowd and I’d like to hear your opinion in this regard.

I’m currently looking for an e-bike that has a motor of 1000W and minimum 60 miles range that has all 3 modes of riding: normal pedaling, pedal assist, and only the motor. When I say 60 miles range or greater on a full charge I’m actually looking for only the motor to provide me that. I know the bike should have a large battery, which means it will be somewhat heavier, but I’m fine with that. I'm okay with speeds 30 mph or higher.

I live in an area with lots of hills and that is my main reason for wanting an e-bike.

Budget: max $5ooo

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
There is also an interesting upcoming French e-bike brand called Moustache.
They assemble e-bikes only, are growing nicely and export to 20+ countries.
If you search for "How Moustache Became the French Champion of Electric Bicycles?", this could also be of help.
Old 01-13-20, 02:59 PM
JeffreyD

Bikes: Salsa Fargo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My favorite bike is now a Trek CrossRip e-bike (Class 3) I purchased in 2018 ... touring, road, trail ... solid machine and has a quick recharger that can refill in about 2 hours at any 110 outlet (cost 5-10 cents in electricity). Comes with a rear rack, front and back lights, kick stand. Cost about $4200. 500-watt Bosch battery. Less than 50 lbs total weight with the battery. Low gear, flat terrain can go about 60-70 miles. Turn off on down hills or flat roads and get more miles.

One of our son's and his wife bought Juiced e-bikes on the web for about $1200 each. These have a feature with a simple 'click' of button to propel up to 28 or 32 mph without pedaling.

Check with PeopleforBikes for laws in each state about e-bicycles because varies. Some local towns, counties have enacted restrictions on e-bikes too.
Old 02-03-20, 05:24 PM
Natomashomeboy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
Still contemplating getting a e-bike front wheel kit or get a whole e bike, , gonna check out some of these sites.
Old 02-04-20, 05:19 AM
iik

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Natomashomeboy
Still contemplating getting a e-bike front wheel kit or get a whole e bike, , gonna check out some of these sites.
​​​​​​Natomashomeboy why are you debating this question, if I can ask?
are you concerned about costs of a new e-bike?
or you just would like to use your current bike as e-bike?
Thanks!
Old 02-04-20, 08:50 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
A Class 3 eBike, or speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle, is equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and stops providing assistance when the bicycle reaches 28 mph. Operators of Class 3 e-bikes must be 16 or older and wear a helmet. Class 3 e-bikes are prohibited from Class I multi-use bike paths unless specifically authorized by a local ordinance." according to Current Bikes

Practically there is no place that one is allowed to ride such a "bicycle", unless one does it on a private property (I guess???) or register it as a moped or even as a motorcycles and ride it ONLY on public roads and not on bike lanes.

I'm looking into something that can give a high range, but in the same time be legal and allowed to be used on most bike lanes and trails.
In Michigan, Class 1 bikes are allowed by default on all public trails unless specifically prohibited. All other classes are not allowed unless specifically permitted. As an example, there are two very popular rail-trails in my area. One permits both Class 1 and Class 2 bikes, but not Class 3; the other allows anything that is pedal assisted (Class 1 or 3), but not Class 2. And of course there's a lot of confusion and misinformation about this since I have never seen anything posted on any trail I've been on. Adding to that is that you can't tell a Class 1 from 3 unless you look to find some sort of tag on it. The Specialized Vado that I'm planning on buying this year comes in Class 1 and 3 variants that are identical in appearance, and besides, who's checking?

The whole distinction between Classes 1 & 3 seems bogus to me anyway. My car will do over 100mph, but it's still allowed on a street with a 25mph speed limit. I plan on getting a Class 3 bike, but on the trails that are busy with a lot of slower bikes and dog walkers, I'm responsible enough to watch my speed. Besides, there are plenty of riders around here who blitz along the trails at 20+ under pedal power alone!
Old 02-04-20, 09:07 AM
Natomashomeboy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
No concern about the cost but more about adding another bike to the fleet and more of a space issue than anything, Im leaning towards adding a kit to my Giant that I love to ride.
Likes For Natomashomeboy:
Old 02-04-20, 11:12 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 621 Posts
DougG, I've always thought that e-bikes should be regulated by speed rather than "Class", but the group (People for Bikes) that developed the system and are having it adopted chose this one. Moot point though since there is no enforcement.
Old 03-05-20, 10:18 AM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have a Juiced Ripcurrent and have ridden it close to 50 miles and still had 50% left. But that included at least 10 miles with no juice on flats and gentle downhills. I once passed a guy in full kit on a gravel grinder... he was doing about 18mph so I passed him doing 29mph. Behavior like this ruins it for everybody but I get to be an ass just once.
Old 03-06-20, 11:03 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I owned a Turbo Passat in the 90's. Top speed of 150. I had it up to 135 exactly once. Most of the time it was 80mph cruise with the occasional 90+ blast. No speeding tickets. Speed limit of 55mph and sometimes 65mph. Why do e-bikers tie themselves in existential knots over the minutiae of Class III hardware?! No one is putting a gun to your head to nail on every trip the top speed that can be reached by your particular motor/controller combination. Very few if any commercial Class III bikes can actually reach 28mph on level ground. They don't have to. All a bike 'has' to do to be considered Class III is be able to exceed 20mph. A pretty low bar. Things don't really get difficult for an e-motor until 25mph. Juiced Bikes are not exactly what I consider 'commercial'. Reviewers have, however, gotten honest top of the Class (III) performance out of them.

You cannot get real top of Class III operation without some excess capacity in the motor which under some situations will allow for exceeding (gasp!) the strict definition of Class III. Any other category of road vehicle user would just shrug and get on with it but cyclist have to look the gift horse in the mouth and quibble with how the magic is performed. Go ahead and spend $3K or $4K or even more for a bike that can only get over 25mph if you can match the motor watt for watt. That doesn't sound like fun to me and I don't even own an e-bike. If I did, however, I would expect it to help me significantly exceed what (watt) I can do on my own.
Old 03-06-20, 12:04 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 621 Posts
There are many Class 3 ebikes that can reach 28 mph easily, but don't exceed that by much because the assist shuts off at that speed. I've been up to 30 mph or slightly faster on a couple of Stromers with vigorous (for me) pedaling.
Old 03-09-20, 10:01 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 229 Posts
Last fall, after test riding many, I purchased a Giant with Yamaha motor in the BB and an 8 speed Shimano gear set. With its 400Wh battery it can 100km (60miles) at the "normal" assist position (50%). I am still amazed at how easy the riding is with only 250W and 60 Nm of torque. Although limited to 30km (20mph) and you must pedal, it is easy to scoot along at that speed for hours. Try as many as you can and see what level of assist you actually require. My neighbor bought a cheap Chinese one with a 750W hub motor and throttle and it feels less powerful and is heavier and uses more energy. It does have a throttle, but he claims he doesn't use it! I rode it and no way it is producing 750W.
My advice is ride as many as you can and understand the limitations.
Old 03-09-20, 01:40 PM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You might consider an electric moped for the hills and keep riding your regular bike on the flats. For instance the Zoom electric scooter can be ridden in California with a moped license and M1. It is 2k dollars and 60 miles range. Better deal in my opinion. It can be lead or lithium. Lithium is a 400 dollar upgrade. Lead Gel will get you 3 or so years and 300 dollars to replace. The Zoom can tackle San Francisco hills. Also there a ton of stand up scooters that will do 60 miles. EMOVE Cruiser Electric Scooter will do 60 miles in a package you just scratch you head at. How something so small go so far. There is a review on youtube. Just search:EMOVE Cruiser Electric Scooter. So many choices and of course you could go to Luna Cycles and DIY.
Old 03-15-20, 09:23 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
I bought a cheap eBay ebike for my father-in-law for under $1200 shipped in 2018.
It’s nothing fancy, 7-speed, step-thru, folding frame, fat tire, front suspension, 500w motor, 48v battery.
It gets ridden 4-5 times a week, maybe 10 mi. per ride max.; he charges the battry abotu once a week.

Good enough for him (nearly 80 y-o) to ride to his favorite fishing spot and back with minimal pedaling.
He’s enjoying being outdoors, getting more physical activity, seems happy with what he has.

Depending on the type of riding you plan on doing, $5k budget maybe overkill.

I commute within NYC metro myself, among NYC traffic, 20 mph is plenty to keep up, 30 mph is just suicidal.

I have been commuting with my folding bike in NYC metro since 2013,
last month I got myself a 350w folding ebike from eBay $1100 shipped to my home:

I can easily fit the folding ebike in the trunk of my car, into subway, trains..
I've put about 80 miles on it and still have 25% battery remain.
Granted that I don't use full throttle, just PAS at the lowest level.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 03-15-20, 10:41 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Which model is that? Looks nice
Old 03-16-20, 03:35 AM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
emove electric scooter with seat

https://www.voromotors.com/products/emove-cruiser This scooter comes with an optional seat. For the money it is more or less an electric moped. Very small with good performance. Tubeless tires 62 mile range and a price well under your limit.

I am enjoying the energy of the enthusiasts here. Everyone seems serious to get the best technology bang for buck. Myself I found a Sun recumbent to DIY some Luna parts on it.

Last edited by Lawrence Rhodes; 03-16-20 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Had to edit out url.
Old 03-16-20, 09:52 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
Which model is that? Looks nice

Qualibike Dolphin 20mph 350W Hub Motor 36V Samsung Battery 20'' Foldable Bikes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264570788405