Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best Touring Multi Tool?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best Touring Multi Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-13, 12:57 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
When looking at pedals online I cant seem to find any info on wether the pedal has a hex socket or not....
Old 03-10-13, 01:09 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by striknein
Why would I need to remove a pedal in the field?
To put in an Amtrak box.

I have also taken a few supported tours in Europe where the bikes were provided, I brought my own pedals to use with my cleated shoes.
Old 03-10-13, 01:16 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by zeppinger
When looking at pedals online I cant seem to find any info on wether the pedal has a hex socket or not....
If you can't find one in the store to look at, sometimes you can see it in the photo on a website. Some components where I do not get enough info off of the vendors website, I check the manufacturers website for more detailed info.

For pedals, if the shaft has flats for a 15mm wrench it might not have a socket for an Allen wrench, but if it has no flats, it needs a socket for Allen wrench.
Old 03-10-13, 01:42 PM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texasdiver
I have the Park MT-1 tool mentioned above. I'm picturing it below so people know what we're talking about. The only problem I see with this tool is that it is cast steel rather than forged (which is how individual allen wrenches are made) and doesn't seem to be manufactured to the same tolerances of individual allen wrenchs or even the individual wrenches on a more traditional multi-tool. When I insert it into 4 or 5 mm allen wrench bolts on my bike it doesn't seem to fit as well as a forged single allen wrench. It is looser and there is more play. So I would be somewhat afraid of stripping out any allen bolt that required any amount of force to loosen. Like a chain ring or pedal for example. The 8 and 10 mm box end wrenches seem good but I would not use the allen wrenches unless no other option was available. If you are only going to carry one tool I think it would be safer to carry one of the multi-tools with forged allen wrench pieces (as all the good ones are). They just seem to fit more securely and will stand a lower chance of stripping out a bolt head and leave you very screwed so to speak.

Bummer. I was already to buy this. Have others had problems with the quality of the steel, loose fit, etc?
Old 03-10-13, 02:16 PM
PDX Reborn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a Leatherman PST since 98, on everything from cycling, backpacking to offroad motorcycle touring. What a great multi tool to have on any cycling trip. I do have to carry a few allen wrenches, thou, but won't leave the house with out my trusty PST in my pannier.

https://www.leatherman.com/family/mul...ket-Size_Tools
Old 03-10-13, 02:19 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
There are several good ones on the market. I'd suggest getting one with the hex wrenches long enough to reach the brake/shifter mounting bolt. I've had several minor crashes where the lever moved and had to be repositioned. I keep them tight enough to not move under normal conditions, but move rather than break in a crash.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-10-13 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-10-13, 03:44 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I haven't carries a multi-tool in years, at least not while on tour. They tend to be heavy, have tools I don't use, and don't have tool I do use, and as has been noted they can't break my pedals loose. The heart of my touring tool kit is a VIM 1/4 hex bit driver. I can break my pedals and even break my free hub loose. I can tighten, loosen or remove hub cones.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 03-10-13, 04:17 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
These go into my seat bag.

This goes into my tool box along with an 8 mm box end wrench (small and light), chain tool, spoke wrench, chain lube, syringe with Triflow oil, an assortment of replacement nuts and bolts, several zip ties, fiber-fix spoke, and a small rag. If the tour is a long one, I also carry one spare derailleur cable and and a brake cable. I also carry a small bottle of dish detergent and an old sponge. I don't need to carry a dedicated pedal wrench because my wife's S&S coupler wrench also has a pedal wrench. I've used everything except the spare derailleur cable on a tour. I dumpster dive for a soft drink cup or in this case a Gatorade bottle to serve as a mini bucket for bike cleaning while on tour. I use a water bottle to rinse the soap off after cleaning. I also use a lot of napkins and paper towels from cafes and gas stations to clean chains while on tour. Depending on the weather, I'll clean the bikes every 2-7 days.

All my tools and cleaning supplies fit in that plastic box.

And if all else fails, I break out my versatile patch kit

Last edited by Doug64; 03-10-13 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 06:05 AM
gregw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Credit card.
Old 03-11-13, 07:56 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
I like the Lezyne V series multitool. It is small, light, not too expensive, and does most of what I want/need in a multitool.
https://www.lezyne.com/en/products/mu...ltitools#tab-2
Attached Images