Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pub 51

Old 04-20-13, 02:16 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't seen much of the chief complainant about the "off-topic issue" lately... Maybe it wasn't a problem after all, hmm?
Old 04-21-13, 08:09 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
If this were a real pub it would close due to lack of customers.

But at least it has solved all the terrible problems 50+ was having. It has hasn't it?

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 04-21-13 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-21-13, 06:09 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Trying to figure out if this thread is staying on-topic. Is this post on-topic? Another stout, please.
Old 04-24-13, 07:12 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
not a problem

I think it was not a real problem. Even Chairman Tom has taken the liberty to banter about geezer hood in the 50+ open area.
Old 04-24-13, 07:24 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I think it was not a real problem. Even Chairman Tom has taken the liberty to banter about geezer hood in the 50+ open area.
Exactly. I think we should continue to do so. We are a community after all, brought together by our common interest in cycling, so why shouldn't we talk about general common interest stuff that may lie outside the realm of cycling.
If some want to restrict their participation to on topic stuff, God bless 'em, that's fine too.
Old 04-28-13, 09:16 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Cigars?

When I was in Cuba last summer teaching photography to American students I was introduced to cigars. I'm not a smoker, so I was surprised how pleasurable I found smoking a cigar. Of course, I can't get those nice Cubans here, but still...

I guess I'm now a cigar smoker. I keep it down to one or two a week in hopes that I'll avoid negative health consequences.

Any of you enjoy this vice?

Curtis in Cuba Photo, 2012 by ccorlew, on Flickr
Old 04-28-13, 09:32 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
No.

Old 04-28-13, 09:34 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Stink Sticks
Old 04-28-13, 10:51 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My Dad smoked cigars all his life but stopped about 10 years before he died. He used to love going to visit his brother who always seemed to have a stash of the Cubans. I don't mind cigar and pipe smoke but I cannot tolerate cigarette smoke. Nice pic by the way.
Old 04-28-13, 10:51 AM
overthehillmedi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I visit my old home town of Victoria, B.C. during the summer cruise season and go to the local tourist trap commercial area I see lots of your fellow American gentlemen sitting on the benches and walking around just outside of E,A.Morris Tobacconist puffing away on legal in Canada Cuban cigars.
Old 04-28-13, 11:06 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
We can buy Cuban stogies anywhere up here. I rather enjoy the aroma of a good cigar, although I have not smoked anything in 36 years.
Old 04-28-13, 11:10 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Used to, but even one or two a week had a negative impact on me... including the $10 to $20 per cigar cost. With that said, a good cigar can be a taste sensation.

BTW you photo looks like that of a man who has been in Cuba for some time. Nice shot. Did you set it up or did one of the students take it?
Old 04-28-13, 11:23 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
When I was in Cuba last summer teaching photography to American students I was introduced to cigars. I'm not a smoker, so I was surprised how pleasurable I found smoking a cigar. Of course, I can't get those nice Cubans here, but still...

I guess I'm now a cigar smoker. I keep it down to one or two a week in hopes that I'll avoid negative health consequences.

I would if I could buy real cuban cigars. I smoke a pipe and what the brain washed general public doesn't understand is that pipe tobacco and good high quality (like cubans )
cigars are real all tobacco and nothing else. The flavor is pure tobacco not chemicals that all cigarettes are full of.

yes, a bit of good high quality tobacco is a joy to be savored.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 04-28-13, 11:30 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Cigars and scotch really complement each other. I indulge only in special company and on very rare occasion. I think it's been 4 years since the last time.
Old 04-28-13, 11:52 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Yes, I am so brainwashed that I believe this: 'There is no safe tobacco product, and there is no safe level of exposure to tobacco smoke.' National Cancer Institute/NIH

https://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...Tobacco/cigars

Had my last cigarette in 1975. Every once in a while, the thought pops into my head that smoking a cigarette would be pleasant.

Do what you enjoy, but know the risk.
Old 04-28-13, 12:29 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Never cigarettes but I have had a cigar or two in my time. Maybe once a year. I do however love the aroma of pipe tobacco so will generally light one while doing some woodworking. I just light it and let it extinguish. That satisfies the aroma therapy.

Great hat btw CC.
Old 04-28-13, 12:30 PM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Taking significant amounts of smoke into my lungs somehow has never struck me as a good idea, no matter what the aroma. Probably wouldn't help with 3 min interval repeats, either. I'm sure there are worse vices, but I've already got more than enough. It does look make you look cool, though.
Old 04-28-13, 01:07 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I like a good gigar now and then on a special occasion. Especially when flyfishing. I don't inhale them at all though.
Old 04-28-13, 01:11 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Applewood is aromatic, too; and I could light up a small pile of it for pennies and stand in the smoke plume. But I don't to that either. Smoke is an irritant that I'd rather keep out of my lungs. Besides, I don't want my breath and my clothes to smell like an ash tray.
Old 04-28-13, 01:36 PM
Frankfast

Bikes: Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One or two a week progresses to one a day. Ask me how I know. Give it up while it's still easy.
Old 04-28-13, 01:38 PM
USMCRet

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy a good cigar now and then. I usually reserve them for special occasions. I had a cuban once when I was in Montreal, and frankly, I didn't see what all the hype is about.
Old 04-28-13, 03:02 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Originally Posted by NOS88

BTW you photo looks like that of a man who has been in Cuba for some time. Nice shot. Did you set it up or did one of the students take it?
I was with my (adult) students in a small bar in Havana. I pointed out the window light at the table where we were sitting and talked about how to use it. Tony — who introduced me to cigars — made the photo.

Here's Tony himself, in a photo I shot in the lobby of the Rivera.

Tony has an offer for you by ccorlew, on Flickr
Old 04-28-13, 06:19 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts

In our country and culture that was a brave post. Far too many people equate Cigars with Cigarette smoking however. Traditionally cigars are not inhaled and the flavor of the tobacco is sampled by the pallet and blown back out. Earth notes, coffee notes, chocolate notes, nut notes even grassy notes all can be tasted with different good cigars. All natural flavors found in different hand rolled cigars from Cuba to Honduras to Jamaica and Nicaragua or the Dominican Republic. I have been on a tour of a factory and watching the Torcedor roll and press the cigars and deftly use the Chaveta to cut the leaves was rather impressive. But alas I no longer partake maybe because I now cycle or maybe because of the looks people give you even if they come where you are smoking and then act like I have entered their space rather than the other way around. But my real question might be, Is that a Panama hat? Like a real one from Ecuador? I love hats from Fedoras to Optimos or Plantation Panamas. Another dying art is the weaving of the Toquilla straw into a proper hat.
Old 04-28-13, 06:37 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
But my real question might be, Is that a Panama hat? Like a real one from Ecuador? I love hats from Fedoras to Optimos or Plantation Panamas. Another dying art is the weaving of the Toquilla straw into a proper hat.
I'm not sure. I bought it in Cuba. It says Panama on it, but has no country of origin.

I too enjoy hats, and caps, and usually wear one. I like them so much that more than a few folks have assumed I'm covering a bald head, though in fact I have all my hair and am hardly gray yet.

Best photo of Curtis ever by ccorlew, on Flickr
Old 04-28-13, 06:56 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did at one time; after quitting totally in Dec. '01, I've sniffed a couple cigars since then, almost re-kindled the desire to smoke one. Cigarettes disgust me, even now, but the cigar is a tease.

Thing is, I know the actual experience of lighting one up again would be a LOT less enjoyable than my mental picture of it. Pass.

At one time, Thompson Cigar Co. made a product that was damn near Cuban quality (sampled a Cuban once, it was an eye-opener);enjoyed their product in the 80's, but when I tried again in the 90's, they'd lost some significant quality.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.