Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Please, put a foot down.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Please, put a foot down.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 07:42 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Please, put a foot down.

I know, clipping and unclipping can be a bane in stop and go situations. But I’ve noticed that cyclists who track stand, or wander around intersections waiting for the light to change so they don’t have to unclip, are confusing drivers.

please try to do better.

Thank you
Old 07-01-18, 08:42 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Putting a foot down slows down the entire process for everyone. Most drivers would be annoyed if I did that.
Old 07-01-18, 08:52 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Yeah, and would y’all please stop using “leverage” as a verb unless referring to the act of borrowing to fund an investment? It would make the world a better place.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-01-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-01-18, 09:18 AM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oh! Look! There's a cyclist balancing on his bike at the lights! And he's facing forward! How confusing. I wonder what he's going to do?

Oh Could it be that he's going to set off in the direction he's facing? When the lights change or the intersection clears?

I'm soooo confused.
Old 07-01-18, 09:20 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Sure. As soon as drivers start putting a foot down as well. Same road, same rules, right?

The Vehicle Code requires me to stop, which it defines as a cessation of forward movement, and nothing more. My track stand complies. If drivers are confused by that, maybe they’re not competent to drive.
Old 07-01-18, 09:32 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Being in full control of the machine and able to immediately apply power to clear the intersection quickly from a track stand is far safer for me than going through the slower although the well practiced start routine. The intersection is most the dangerous place for any vehicle to occupy, getting through it as quickly as practical/legal/safe has a high priority.

Oddly enough my operation of the bike isn't a circus side show but a deliberate operational decision, if that coaxes motor vehicle drivers away from their fixation on texting to stare in rapt attention so be it.

edit:
OP, out of curiosity can you perform a credible well controlled track stand for 40 seconds or so on your commuter bike at an intersection?

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 07-01-18 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-01-18, 09:53 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yeah, and would y’all please stop using “leverage” as a verb unless referring to the act of borrowing to fund an investment? It would make the world a better place.
???

Not sure what this has to do with the OP, but "leverage" is a perfectly valid verb in other circumstances.
Old 07-01-18, 01:30 PM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

THIS !
Old 07-01-18, 02:22 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
I know, clipping and unclipping can be a bane in stop and go situations. But I’ve noticed that cyclists who track stand, or wander around intersections waiting for the light to change so they don’t have to unclip, are confusing drivers.

please try to do better.

Thank you
I am glad to see you post this. My mantra is: "It is not you VERSUS traffic...you ARE traffic!"

Perhaps because I've been commuting seriously, as an adult, for 26 years, I have come to the conclusion that more and better communication between traffic participants, leads to a better, safer traffic experience for all.

For decades, at many two- and four-way stops I have deliberately put my foot down to let other vehicles know I am stopped. It's like a 180-degree stop light that vehicles in front and to the sides of you can see.

But, I go even further...

There are some intersections on my route where I can roll to the front line in the bike lane and wait for the green. These intersections have protected left turns that go first when the left turn arrow lights up. Before the arrow comes on, not only do I have my foot down, I will cross my arms, or drink from my water bottle to let opposing traffic in the turn lane know I am not a cyclist who is going to jump the light as soon as cross traffic stops...I will wait my turn.

Hand gestures, which are more difficult to convey while driving in a car, are much easier to show while out in the open on a bicycle; hand gestures like waving some one through, warning them to wait, pointing out where you are turning or going, and saying "thank you!" (And of course "the bird" which I still let fly on occasion, against my better judgement.)

What's more, body language and hand signals when used in "tandem" with adequate mirrors can also convey messages to traffic behind you, like "Slow down", "Wait", "Come on and pass me now, it's okay."

As far as I'm concerned, in most multi-vehicle traffic situations, track-standing, or slow-rolls are equivalent to cars creeping forward towards crosswalks while pedestrians are crossing.

Better communication is also why for 20+ years I have been using an AirZound airhorn for cars, and a bell for pedestrians (and sometimes lightly tooting the horn at pedestrians when they don't hear the bell.)

When riding a bike in traffic, it is often helpful to ask "What Would Drivers Do?" and then do it.

Now I realize bicycles aren't cars, and there are many circumstances where I feel it's safe to bend a rule or two, but if you're gonna ride in traffic, you can't not communicate with other vehicles, or send ambiguous messages about your intentions.

So I agree with you and say "Put your foot down! Take a stand for traffic safety!"

(Crap, when did I start soudning like such an old fart?)
Old 07-01-18, 05:35 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

please try to do better.

Thank you
A track stand is 100% legal, but wandering around the intersection is not and I see that often. I agree that the latter is confusing and dangerous. Is the rider going or not? and which way?

Sometimes, putting a foot down (like at a four way stop) IS the fastest, because then a motorist who has the right of way will GO ASAP.

I've also noticed on group rides that many cyclists take forever to re-clip and get to speed. Not me.
Old 07-01-18, 05:44 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I am glad to see you post this. My mantra is: "It is not you VERSUS traffic...you ARE traffic!"

Perhaps because I've been commuting seriously, as an adult, for 26 years, I have come to the conclusion that more and better communication between traffic participants, leads to a better, safer traffic experience for all.

For decades, at many two- and four-way stops I have deliberately put my foot down to let other vehicles know I am stopped. It's like a 180-degree stop light that vehicles in front and to the sides of you can see.

But, I go even further...

There are some intersections on my route where I can roll to the front line in the bike lane and wait for the green. These intersections have protected left turns that go first when the left turn arrow lights up. Before the arrow comes on, not only do I have my foot down, I will cross my arms, or drink from my water bottle to let opposing traffic in the turn lane know I am not a cyclist who is going to jump the light as soon as cross traffic stops...I will wait my turn.

Hand gestures, which are more difficult to convey while driving in a car, are much easier to show while out in the open on a bicycle; hand gestures like waving some one through, warning them to wait, pointing out where you are turning or going, and saying "thank you!" (And of course "the bird" which I still let fly on occasion, against my better judgement.)

What's more, body language and hand signals when used in "tandem" with adequate mirrors can also convey messages to traffic behind you, like "Slow down", "Wait", "Come on and pass me now, it's okay."

As far as I'm concerned, in most multi-vehicle traffic situations, track-standing, or slow-rolls are equivalent to cars creeping forward towards crosswalks while pedestrians are crossing.

Better communication is also why for 20+ years I have been using an AirZound airhorn for cars, and a bell for pedestrians (and sometimes lightly tooting the horn at pedestrians when they don't hear the bell.)

When riding a bike in traffic, it is often helpful to ask "What Would Drivers Do?" and then do it.

Now I realize bicycles aren't cars, and there are many circumstances where I feel it's safe to bend a rule or two, but if you're gonna ride in traffic, you can't not communicate with other vehicles, or send ambiguous messages about your intentions.

So I agree with you and say "Put your foot down! Take a stand for traffic safety!"

(Crap, when did I start soudning like such an old fart?)
Thanks Bobby, there are a lot of great thoughts and advice in your post here.

Even so, I think you and I would both agree that there are plenty of times/situations were a foot down is not needed.
Old 07-01-18, 05:49 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Thanks Bobby, there are a lot of great thoughts and advice in your post here.

Even so, I think you and I would both agree that there are plenty of times/situations were a foot down is not needed.
Agreed.
Old 07-01-18, 07:08 PM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
And I would also agree there are times putting a foot down is not needed. And much as I can appreciate the art of the track stand, I still take into consideration the motorist that has no clue what is happening with regards to the balanced pause. I am a motorist too.
Old 07-01-18, 07:09 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I put my foot down all the time at stop signs and red lights. I have no problems with that.
Old 07-01-18, 07:29 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I still take into consideration the motorist that has no clue what is happening with regards to the balanced pause. I am a motorist too.
Having no clue about pretty much everything around them is SOP for motorists and other vehicle operators, if my track stand in an adjacent lane segment leads to further mystification about the ways the world actually operates I'm OK w/ that.

-Bandera
Old 07-02-18, 04:55 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

What's more, body language and hand signals when used in "tandem" with adequate mirrors can also convey messages to traffic behind you, like "Slow down", "Wait", "Come on and pass me now, it's okay."…
Nicely said. I use hand signals a lot, even to bestow “bicylists blessings and curses” (not the middle finger).
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Communicating with Drivers

As a year-round commuter through the mean streets of Boston, I have developed several thoughts about communication with drivers:…
However I do not advise drivers when to pass so they can make their own estimation. And,
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Cyclists may "think" cryptic hand signals are "interpreted" correctly by approaching motorists but would be smart not to depend on it. My advice is to follow ItsJustMe's advice in Msg 10 and avoid the results from the likely possibility that approaching motorists won't have a clue to what you are waving your hand about.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-02-18 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-02-18, 05:13 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Perfect example of why motorists hate cyclists: driver observes a cyclist making a mistake, spends two hours making a YouTube video, labels all cyclists as jerks.
Old 07-02-18, 05:45 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Having no clue about pretty much everything around them is SOP for motorists and other vehicle operators, if my track stand in an adjacent lane segment leads to further mystification about the ways the world actually operates I'm OK w/ that.

-Bandera

Good to know my track standing is not completely taboo, but I have a similar problem as the OP in regards to a few four way stops in my area. Motorists seem to fixate on the bike and I end up causing a traffic stall.

I often think they are waving me on, but they don't realize I can't see them do this from their low car with sun glinting off the windows. So it becomes a Mexican standoff. Infuriatingly putting a foot down often doesn't help either, and what really makes my eyes roll is having my foot down while taking a long drink from the bottle - and watching nobody move for a good half minute. There's nobody behind either, everytime.

Now I've gotten used to slowing 100ft before then track standing while waiting for an opening.

The funniest thing happened the other day, where as I approached I went very slowly, my head faced down, all the while dragging my foot. I came to a stop, had my foot down. About 50 foot prior to stopping I noticed traffic had already stalled a bit. Sitting at the intersection in a classic standoff (all three cars had arrived before me but were still sitting there) I heard some guy a few cars down just losing it His window was down and I was listening to his tirade against other drivers ... "Oh my God he was dragging his foot, go!" ... "Why haven't you gone he's still slowing down" ... "He's waiting for you, you were there first!" then just defeated laughter as I had to remount and get up to speed across while three drivers still sat and watched. Lesson learned!
Old 07-02-18, 06:16 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
Actually, the YouTuber stated that he had no problem with cyclists, and was happy to share the road, except with cyclists like the one in his video that cause problems and create dangerous situations for themselves and others.

Agreed, however, that going by the title of the video alone, that is not the message he's sending.

Originally Posted by gregf83
Perfect example of why motorists hate cyclists: driver observes a cyclist making a mistake, spends two hours making a YouTube video, labels all cyclists as jerks.
Old 07-02-18, 06:43 AM
BobbyG

Of course autonomous vehicles will fix all these problems...(EXTREEEEEME SARCASM!).
Old 07-02-18, 07:03 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Of course autonomous vehicles will fix all these problems...(EXTREEEEEME SARCASM!).
I also posted to this thread on the Living Car Free Forum:
Communicating with Drivers

As a year-round commuter through the mean streets of Boston, I have developed several thoughts about communication with drivers:…

Regarding non-verbal communication, unlikely with an autonomous vehicle… .
Originally Posted by tandempower
As for communicating with autonomous vehicles, did you read what I said about using a green/yellow/red LED system for indicating to pedestrians whether the vehicle has sensed your presence in their path? If the light turns yellow/amber or green, the vehicle has communicated to you that it sees you and that it either can't safely stop yet or that it can.

You can then communicate back to the vehicle that it can go in front of you by backing away from the curb far enough for the light to return to red, and then the vehicle will continue as if you abandoned your intent to cross in front of it.
Old 07-02-18, 07:20 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Sure. As soon as drivers start putting a foot down as well. Same road, same rules, right?
Eh, can't say I've seen a true non moving trackstand from a cyclist at a light pretty much ever. What I see are people wiggling around really slow trying to avoid putting a foot down, to me that is akin to a rolling stop.

If you don't feel the weight transfer in a stop, you didn't in a car. That's the equivalency to me, MOST cyclists haven't stopped if a foot hasn't gone down.
Old 07-02-18, 07:23 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

The Vehicle Code requires me to stop, which it defines as a cessation of forward movement, and nothing more. My track stand complies. If drivers are confused by that, maybe they’re not competent to drive.
Hear, hear !

I've had enough of this "the driver got confused" nonsense.
No, they are Not competent to drive.
Old 07-02-18, 07:45 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I also posted to this thread on the Living Car Free Forum:
This post doesn't make any sense.
Old 07-02-18, 07:51 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Eh, can't say I've seen a true non moving trackstand from a cyclist at a light pretty much ever. What I see are people wiggling around really slow trying to avoid putting a foot down, to me that is akin to a rolling stop.

If you don't feel the weight transfer in a stop, you didn't in a car. That's the equivalency to me, MOST cyclists haven't stopped if a foot hasn't gone down.
You may be correct when you say "most" riders haven't stopped if they didn't put a foot down. But coming to a full stop, (wheels no longer turning) momentarily, without putting a foot down is not difficult. One doesn't even need the ability to do a track stand to do this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.