Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Dirty Kanza has been sold

Old 09-18-18, 02:52 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Dirty Kanza has been sold

I just saw this today: https://dirtykanza.com/new-dirt/exci...r-dirty-kanza/
Could have been worse organizer/buyers out there.
Old 09-18-18, 03:48 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
what is Life Time connection to QBP, Salsa/all-city etc?
Old 09-18-18, 04:08 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I thought it was just a chain of fitness clubs. There are a couple here in the Dallas area.
Old 09-18-18, 05:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
both lifetime and qbp are based in the twin cities.

I've belonged to lifetime twice now over the last 15 years. It's basically an expensive gym for upper middle class people to have an experience of being upper class. The 10% gets to pretend to be the 5% while at the gym.

the company does a lot of community involvement(as long as you are part of the community that is their rrarget demographic) and I'm sure they will push for the DK to be even grandeur and corporatized than before.
Old 09-18-18, 05:22 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Not surprising...for as much of a zoo as some rides are, it is inevitable that the founders will want out. Hopefully the new owners do good.

New owners can really be a downer on the ride-depending on the ride culture.
Old 09-18-18, 06:37 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
As a former participant, I’m on their email list and got an email about this early this morning, authored by founder Jim Cummins. Of note:

”Most importantly, I want to be clear that Dirty Kanza won’t change. This is important to all of us at Dirty Kanza Promotions, and to Life Time. I will continue to be front and center at the event, Dirty Kanza will continue to be the world’s premier gravel cycling challenge, and you will still be served by the same great team.”

I know they always say stuff like that, but the way I look at it there are so many other similar events these days that if they ruin it, people will flock to something else.
Old 09-19-18, 08:12 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I wonder how much he sold it for.
Old 09-19-18, 08:42 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I know they SAY the DK will never change. But my entire career has been wrapped up in acquisitions like this one. I've seen too many. Unless the organization was screaming out for change and change would universally be seen as needed, they always say the surviving entity will not change. But if there were no reason for a change to happen, they would not have made the acquisition (or the sale). And even if they TRY to keep it the same, they just can't. It would have changed anyway under the old ownership but, with new ownership, the constituencies will be a lot more touchy (and more likely to bolt) in the face of needed changes. At some point, probably 18 to 24 months from now, the new owners will demand a change that Jim & Co. just can't stomach. At that point, Jim & Co. will realize that they don't own the future, anymore. Their response to that will be pretty important to the future of the event.

I think the corporate / bike industry aspect will get better. If you're really into the bike show thing, I think this will be good news. I think the grassroots aspect will continue to deteriorate. Let's face it . . . the "grassroots" aspect of DK has been slipping away for several years now. It couldn't last forever. And if they get too "slick" or the face of the event is too "for profit," the locals will likely lose enthusiasm. Kansans will make huge sacrifices to make a truly local event -- a COMMUNITY event -- into the greatest thing going. (Look what they've done, to this point, with DK!) But if big money comes to town, they'll wonder why they should continue to be what makes the event happen.

Another important 2018 DK fact . . . one of the key land owners/managers who kept the route available every year died in the last year. He was a huge supporter with a lot of influence with local ranchers and land owners. It's very possible that DK was/is going to have a harder time putting together the route through the open range. (Say goodbye, cowpens!) Jim got and kept the route because of his relationships and those of this supporter. I will be shocked if land access doesn't, at the very least, cost a lot more in the coming years. The DK may lose some of its traditional landmarks.

All that to say . . . I'm planning to go back. I'm not looking forward to 3,000 entrants -- unless they stage the start for the 200, that's just waaaaay too many people to cram onto a 1 1/2 lane dirt road at the start. DK already isn't the old DK. It will be exciting (I hope) seeing where the new owners take it from here!
Old 09-19-18, 09:00 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I know they SAY the DK will never change. But my entire career has been wrapped up in acquisitions like this one. I've seen too many. Unless the organization was screaming out for change and change would universally be seen as needed, they always say the surviving entity will not change. But if there were no reason for a change to happen, they would not have made the acquisition (or the sale). And even if they TRY to keep it the same, they just can't. It would have changed anyway under the old ownership but, with new ownership, the constituencies will be a lot more touchy (and more likely to bolt) in the face of needed changes. At some point, probably 18 to 24 months from now, the new owners will demand a change that Jim & Co. just can't stomach. At that point, Jim & Co. will realize that they don't own the future, anymore. Their response to that will be pretty important to the future of the event.

I think the corporate / bike industry aspect will get better. If you're really into the bike show thing, I think this will be good news. I think the grassroots aspect will continue to deteriorate. Let's face it . . . the "grassroots" aspect of DK has been slipping away for several years now. It couldn't last forever. And if they get too "slick" or the face of the event is too "for profit," the locals will likely lose enthusiasm. Kansans will make huge sacrifices to make a truly local event -- a COMMUNITY event -- into the greatest thing going. (Look what they've done, to this point, with DK!) But if big money comes to town, they'll wonder why they should continue to be what makes the event happen.

Another important 2018 DK fact . . . one of the key land owners/managers who kept the route available every year died in the last year. He was a huge supporter with a lot of influence with local ranchers and land owners. It's very possible that DK was/is going to have a harder time putting together the route through the open range. (Say goodbye, cowpens!) Jim got and kept the route because of his relationships and those of this supporter. I will be shocked if land access doesn't, at the very least, cost a lot more in the coming years. The DK may lose some of its traditional landmarks.

All that to say . . . I'm planning to go back. I'm not looking forward to 3,000 entrants -- unless they stage the start for the 200, that's just waaaaay too many people to cram onto a 1 1/2 lane dirt road at the start. DK already isn't the old DK. It will be exciting (I hope) seeing where the new owners take it from here!
It will change but it's been changing anyway just because of the explosion in popularity. My first year was 2015 and it was already a zoo then, it's just gotten even more so every year since, especially with all the pro roadies who are now showing up and stirring up drama.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, just the nature of the beast. It's definitely not grass roots anymore but I'm not sure how you would keep it grass roots without capping the riders at like 100 or something.

That said, I had the least amount of fun this year out of the four of them I've done so far. Some of it was just bad luck out on the course, but some of it was due to the organization and atmosphere of the event. For instance, I didn't really see any added value that corresponded with the substantial price increase.

I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt on this -- according to people involved with Leadville and Chequamegon, Life Time has been good about keeping the local organizers involved and supporting the community. However, I'll be keeping my eyes open on what's going on.

I'll be back too -- I want to get my 1000-mile club -- but after that I'll step aside and let someone else have my spot.
Old 09-19-18, 09:30 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Wow. Even bike events can be pump and dump.
Old 09-20-18, 03:48 AM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It's basically an expensive gym for upper middle class people to have an experience of being upper class. The 10% gets to pretend to be the 5% while at the gym.
😂
How do you know whether people are part of the top 10 percent or top 5 percent? I know people making 40k who go to Equinox and people making 700k who go to Planet Fitness.
Old 09-20-18, 05:41 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
Wow. Even bike events can be pump and dump.
More like the antithesis of ‘pump and dump’.
Old 09-20-18, 05:59 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
More like the antithesis of ‘pump and dump’.
Sooooo, an event is a bike party you throw money into?

I don’t believe that in this case. Business always buys in anticipation of a return. Even if it’s advertising.
Old 09-20-18, 06:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny01
😂
How do you know whether people are part of the top 10 percent or top 5 percent? I know people making 40k who go to Equinox and people making 700k who go to Planet Fitness.
it was a generalization. A stereotype.
of course I don't know everyone's income who belongs.

I played basketball there a couple times each week and played with people who for sure werent well off financially(based on knowing their jobs). Clearly(i thought) not all are in the top 10% of earnings.

lifetime is a luxury brand. It positions itself as a place for pampering as well as exercise. It's as much a place to be seen as it is to exercise. This is based jist on the 2 I have belonged to and nothing more.
Full disclosure- I liked lifetime more than any other gym ive belonged to. But I can still recognize what it is.
Old 09-20-18, 06:15 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217

Sooooo, an event is a bike party you throw money into?

I don’t believe that in this case. Business always buys in anticipation of a return. Even if it’s advertising.
I have no idea what you’re talking about but slowly building a business for 13 yrs and selling is not classified as pump and dump. And the new investors appear to be in it for the long haul.