Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Second Annual Silver Comet Ride Or Possible 50+ Ride Destination

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-19, 02:10 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

My “retirement job” today started in Smyrna, GA and ended in Anniston, AL. 100 miles end to end on the Silver Comet and Chief Ladiga Bike Paths. Tomorrow’s job is to pedal back to my van another 100 miles to Smyrna. I’m riding in @TimothyH territory.

As luck would have it my back didn’t like sleeping on the budget hotel mattress last night in Smyrna. While I can’t stand completely upright and walking really hurts, fortunately the most comfortable position is on the bike. That’s a good thing considering how long I was on the bike today and tomorrow.

Incredibly perfect weather today. Neat scenery along the way. Looking forward to visiting with my cousin this evening who lives not too far away.

This is might be a good spot for a 50+ Ride one day. Except for a 15 mile stretch it’s pretty flat. Lodging could be in Cedartown at the halfway point. Folks could ride in either direction depending on their preferred mileage. I wouldn’t recommend it for the summer months as it can get pretty warm and humid although there is a generous portion of tree canopy. Just a thought.
Likes For jppe:
Old 05-16-19, 03:30 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
My “retirement job” today started in Smyrna, GA and ended in Anniston, AL. 100 miles end to end on the Silver Comet and Chief Ladiga Bike Paths. Tomorrow’s job is to pedal back to my van another 100 miles to Smyrna….

As luck would have it my back didn’t like sleeping on the budget hotel mattress last night in Smyrna...

Incredibly perfect weather today. Neat scenery along the way. Looking forward to visiting with my cousin this evening who lives not too far away.

This is might be a good spot for a 50+ Ride one day. Except for a 15 mile stretch it’s pretty flat. Lodging could be in Cedartown at the halfway point. Folks could ride in either direction depending on their preferred mileage.

I wouldn’t recommend it for the summer months as it can get pretty warm and humid although there is a generous portion of tree canopy. Just a thought.
Other than my own musings (link) recently on a nostalgic Fifty-Plus thread started by @jppe, this is the first suggestion for a Fifty-Plus Ride I have read since 2015. He was also on the First Annual ride in 2009.

In the past years often several sites were proposed, in widely separated regions, and for no specific reason, usually (only) one occurred. For me, Alabama is pretty far, though @seenoweevil drove from Alabama to Watkins Glen NY on the Second Annual Ride.

Myself I did drive about 800 miles one-way twice to Michigan for two Annual Rides, with the added benefit to visit family, and one also with a High School Class Reunion. So I will toss out my suggestion as noted on my post for a Fifty-Plus Ride in Metro Boston.

Speaking about staying at a Motel before a Ride, on the Third One,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I found the downside to staying at a motel before a ride is watching movies until 12:30 AM….

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-16-19 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-16-19, 08:32 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
@jppe

Wish I knew you were here. I'd have come out and done a few miles.

You picked a few nice days - yeah, the weather is stellar!

Is that South Marble Coffee House? They will close it down for a movie shoot soon. Looks like you found a better sandwich than last year.

Be sure to post your photos in the Silver Comet Trail Photo Thread.

Happy trails!

-Tim-
Old 05-16-19, 02:35 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
@jppe

Wish I knew you were here. I'd have come out and done a few miles.

You picked a few nice days - yeah, the weather is stellar!

Is that South Marble Coffee House? They will close it down for a movie shoot soon. Looks like you found a better sandwich than last year.

Be sure to post your photos in the Silver Comet Trail Photo Thread.

Happy trails!

-Tim-

Weather was spectacular!! I think I had a little tailwind both days which is unheard of.

The coffee shop was in Piedmont but I bet you’re thinking of the one in Rockmart. They have all the sets and props up for Irresistible starring Steve Carrell. I’ll sit some pictures of that.

The panini I got in Piedmont was perfect! Amazing trail food! It beat the deli sandwich I got from the grocery store there hands down.

Very last minute planning on my part. Finally found two days during the week with agreeable weather.