Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Texas
Reload this Page >

Dallas area bike trails & using DART rail?

Search
Notices

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-19, 12:03 PM
Flyboy718

Bikes: 1986 Univega Gran Rally 1993 Univega Gran Premio 1995 Univega Alpina 501 Univega Nuovo Sport Univega Viva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I want to put together a really cool day of riding the trail system combined with using the DART rail system for my daughter and myself. I would like to explore and also hit a few coffee spots and shops along the way on the various trails. If you have knowledge and would like to share a good route combining the trail system, DART, and cool places to chill/eat/coffee along the way then please let me know!
Old 07-04-19, 03:53 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
'Bout how many miles/ride? Area of interest: Great Trinity Forest, Oak Cliff (+streetcar), D/T, Fair Park, Uptown (+McKinney Ave trolley), Design/Medical district, Park Cities, Richardson, Plano, White Rock, Carrolton/Denton (+A-Train)...Fort Worth (+TRE/TexRail)?

From Soho down to Brighton, I must have ridden them all.

Last edited by tcs; 07-04-19 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-06-19, 01:35 PM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
'Bout how many miles/ride? Area of interest: Great Trinity Forest, Oak Cliff (+streetcar), D/T, Fair Park, Uptown (+McKinney Ave trolley), Design/Medical district, Park Cities, Richardson, Plano, White Rock, Carrolton/Denton (+A-Train)...Fort Worth (+TRE/TexRail)?

From Soho down to Brighton, I must have ridden them all.

I ride the trail that parallels the DCTA Rail from Lewisville to Denton every couple of weekends. Most times, we leave early from Lewisville, ride to Denton to breakfast tacos and a beer, and ride home. It's about 27.5 miles up and back, or 13.75 miles each way (not sure because I live about 2.25 miles from the Lewisville trailhead at Garden Ridge and I-35E. Lewisville is currently in the process of building out the trail down to the Old Town station, adding another couple of miles.

Cheers.
Old 09-03-19, 01:16 PM
GlenDAustin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Katy Trail is 3.5 miles each way I believe.
White Rock Lake is about 11 miles all the way around, but you can add on additional trails that can extend the ride well past 15 miles.
Richardson Bike Mart has some group rides on Saturday mornings, and we are also looking into the Shawnee Trail Cycling Community in Frisco.
RBM rides are about 20 miles in 1 hour 15 - 1 hour 30 minutes. About 15 mph or a bit faster.

If you go with a club, you want to do the "no drop" ride, so someone stays with you.

Last edited by GlenDAustin; 11-01-19 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-08-19, 08:52 PM
dohc97 

Bikes: 87 centurion ironman expert, 86 team fuji, 90 litespeed tachyon, 87 bridgestone rb2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you can do over 40 miles on Plano trails, let us know what area you want and im sure someone will share.
Old 10-31-19, 10:49 PM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I have a similar question but with a twist. Is DART able to handle a fully loaded touring bike during non-rush hours times, i.e. 10am to 3pm weekdays? I just asked this over on CGOAB and then came here and saw this. Small world. Tailwinds, John
Old 11-05-19, 08:35 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by TulsaJohn
Is DART able to handle a fully loaded touring bike during non-rush hours times, i.e. 10am to 3pm weekdays?
The light rail?

No hay problema.

Roll on/roll off, bags stay on bike.

I see you've given a more complete description of your plans over on CGOAB. If possible, I'd get on the Blue @ the end of the line, UNT Station. The train will empty and you'll have your choice of space to park the bike.

Will the Blue take you where you and your touring bike need to go, or will you need to change routes?

DART buses all have bike racks on the front. To use these you'll need to remove all your bags from the bike before clipping the bike into the rack.

Last edited by tcs; 11-05-19 at 10:03 AM.