Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Do you wear a helmet?

Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Do you wear a helmet?

Old 07-15-19, 03:34 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I always wear a helmet-whether road or trail riding. Always wore one when I motorcycled also. On my off-road bicycle, I've heard a helmet hit the ground more than a few times. Was always very glad I could get up and ride away! One off-road crash in particular, I know I would not have ridden away from if it had not been for the helmet--was dazed, but no concussion, luckily! I don't ever want to hear (or not hear) my head hit the pavement or dirt, rock, whatever.
Old 07-16-19, 11:13 AM
Bearly sane

Bikes: 1990-93 Diamond Back Outlook, rigid, 1x6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nope. I'm a boots, blue jeans and t-shirt guy, I refuse to even own a bike helmet.

If you want to wear spandex, butt pads, gloves, helmets... Good for you. You made a personal choice. Just don't dictate to me how I should live MY life. Spandex shorts are useless in a crash, compared to denim, I'm not trying to force others to do as I see fit, I expect others to grant me the same consideration.

Im forced by law here to wear a helmet when on my motorcycles, but I do so under protest.
Old 07-16-19, 02:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2772 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 115 Posts
Always.

And after watching a horrific crash in a casual group ride a couple of weeks ago, I got an extra helmet so I'll always have one ready with my video camera mount. Occasionally I waste time attached and detaching mounts with my one helmet.

I got away with riding sans helmet in the 1970s. We didn't have any good choices then -- the useless hairnets or an improvised field hockey helmet.

But with age and injuries I know I don't have the reflexes or neck muscle strength to prevent smacking my head if I fall. When I was hit by a car last year my head smacked the pavement hard enough that I'd have a split scalp or knot, if I hadn't been wearing a helmet.

Since then I've been very satisfied with a Bell Formula MIPS. MIPS does what the claims claim -- it deflects blows. A few months ago I was conked on the noggin by a railroad crossing arm that descended unusually quickly. Our group ride was split, and I braked to a stop as soon as the flashing lights and bell started. But as I was backing away the crossing arm struck my head. The helmet didn't merely absorb the blow, but actually deflected sideways. No harm done to me or the helmet. If I'd been bareheaded it would have been ugly.

Last week I got a POC Omne Air Spin. Weird helmet but a keeper. It's not like the high end POC racing helmets. The Omne is more like one of those skater/hipster commuter helmets, but with plenty of ventilation instead of looking like a bowling ball with three tiny holes for vents. It actually scoops air more effectively than my Bell and was very comfy on a 60 mile ride Sunday in Texas afternoon heat. But it's a bit heavy, at 300+ grams. I'm gonna make that my casual ride, errand and commuter helmet and attach my video camera mounts, lights, etc. I'll save the Bell for my road bike rides or whenever I prefer a lighter weight helmet.
Old 07-17-19, 05:32 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johjo View Post
What to keep in mind while shopping for one?
Looks. And fit. There are so many good helmets to choose from that I will hold out for one that feels good on my head and looks good enough that I can enjoy wearing it.

As far as technical features go I like in-molded helmets and plenty of back-of-the-head protection like is becoming common in mountain biking helmets. Also nice are reinforcing structures and the new MIPS features that I've been reading about.